Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No, there's quite a few I haven't flown.

Air China
ANA
Asiana
Egyptair
Shanghai Airlines
South African Airlines
Spanair
TAP
Turkish Airlines
blue1

(Air India
TAM)
Theme for the next trip? Fly all the remaining *A airlines not flown!
More trip report please!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Frankfurt

I got a nice surprise checking in for my award stay at Hilton Frankfurt that night. Tired and dishevelled all I wanted was to check in quickly, set an early wake up call, have a shower and stumble into bed.

I was welcomed back. No word that I had dropped from the Diamond status of my last visit to Gold status. I have been upgraded due to the hotel being completely booked out. The room number didn't mean anything to me other than it was on the executive floor. I've received upgrades to the exec floor before at this hotel, but just to a standard exec room. So I was unprepared when I reached my door to find it was a named corner suite. It was huge. A shame I'd arrived after happy hour in the club lounge, and indeed was only spending a few hours there. Oh well, it isn't the first time that I've been upgraded to the best or near best room in the hotel only to spend minimal time there.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:03 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Great report so far! Looking forward to seeing the rest...

You have inspired me to book a *A RTW (29K) level. ready to ticket at 28,990 miles...
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

FRANKFURT to KHARTOUM (FRA-KRT) on Lufthansa A330-300 A300-600 in business class

Some months ago I noticed this flight was on a 3-class A330-300, but sold as 2-class. So naturally I put in a seat request in the front, which I got thanks to my status. I was looking forward to the extra comfort. Unfortunately a couple of weeks before departure I noticed the aircraft type had reverted to the medium-haul A300-600 (ie regional configuration). Rats.

With boarding pass in hand I headed straight for security and immigration on arrival at the airport. I went to B transfer desk to change my FFP (easily done), and to see if I could check in for some onward flights (no dice). Then over to the lounge for breakfast. Since I'd had a rare (for this trip) overnight in a hotel there was no need for a shower in the lounge. This was just as well, because about the time I might have reached the front of the queue an announcement was made that both bathroom and showers were out of order due to broken pipes. Imagine having waited a couple of hours to then be told you are not getting a shower!

When it was time to depart I noticed I had the same gate as the day previously, so yet again a bus ride - this time to the 3rd to last stand beyond the cargo area (ie a long distance away). We boarded by twin airstairs, but as seems to be the norm almost everyone piles in on the forward stairs ignoring the lack of queues at the back. If I wasn't sitting so far forward I'd take the rear ones.

There was no predeparture drink. The captain announced that today was "historic" for being the last A300-600 flight on the route. The next flight will be A330-300. "Missed it by that much" as Maxwell Smart would say. We were slightly late in leaving, but not excessively so. Load was reasonable without being too full so I had a spare seat to dump my stuff in.

The amenity kit was already in the seat back when we boarded, but the menu and mobile media players were handed out after take-off. We then got a hot towel and a pre-lunch drink plus some packet nuts. When it finally started, the lunch service was very slow ... as if the crew are trying to take up as much of the flight as possible with the meal service to stop people getting bored perhaps, or maybe to stop requests for a snack as well? The flight time is just a tad long for a single meal but not really long enough for 2 meals.

We have nice views of the Alps, but cloud over the Mediterranean and Italy obscure the land below. Over Africa the view is just of a brown murk, which I am unsure is of land or air. Once we descend low enough to see the ground for sure, the horizontal visibility is still not great with no horizon in the dusty haze. The Nile river meanders below us. Suddenly the first signs of life in a few scattered houses in satellite towns, gradually becoming denser and more organised in the suburban sprawl. The odd area of bright green crops provide a stark contrast to the red-brown hues of land, sky and houses.

The airport is in the middle of the built up area and seems to be fairly central, close to the Nile and also the confluence of the Blue Nile and White Nile (google map).

The airport seems rather quiet, which is unsurprising. The most common aircraft here are painted in UN colours, and there is also a Qatar a/c. Through passengers remain onboard while destination Khartoum passengers are picked up by bus. The open doors lets in the fierce heat of early afternoon.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
Business Class menu
Frankfurt to Khartoum
October 2008

Menu

Hors d'oeuvres

Smoked Filet of Salmon with Artichokes
in Pine Nut Vinaigrette

Terrine of Venison with Apple Celery Salad
and Quince Compote

Salad

Mixed Lettuce with Tomato and Cucumber
served with Yoghurt Herb Dressing

Entrees

Grilled Breast of Poulard on Pumpkin Stew with Potatoes

Braised Halibut in Tarragon Stock with Root Vegetables

Green Polenta with Mushroom Ragout

Cheese and Dessert

Camembert, Butter Cheese and Bavaria Blu

Linz Tart with whipped Cream

Fruit Salad with Grapes

Vinothek Discoveries

Champagne

Champagne Jacquart Brut Mosaique, Frankreich
The chalky soils of Champagne have a determining influence on the character of the grapes varieties pinot noir, chardonnay and pinot meunier, which are found in this cuvee. Maturation on the fine lees after the second fermentation lends the sparkling wine further character. This explains the intense straw-yellow colour, the yeasty aromas as well as the fruity notes of pear and apple. On the palate, this Champagne is very refreshing with a pleasant mousse.

White Wine

2007 Leo Riesling, German Hill, Pfalz, Deutschland
"Quality starts in the vineyard, not in the cellar". The Austrian, Leo Hillinger, and the German, Andreas Bender place importance on working in an environmentally-friendly way and on gentle grape and wine handling. The latest technology goes side by side with traditional vinification methods in the cellar. Mineral notes, obvious citrus aromas and subtle fruit characterise the modern style of this wine, which is most pleasing on the palate with its fresh acidity and smooth texture.

2006 Chardonnay Trentino "Virtuoso", Casa Girelli, Italien
The vines for this chardonnay are trained on the typical pergola system, although care is taken to ensure yields are strictly reduced. The grapes are harvested by hand and then pressed. The must ferments, and then ages, in new oak barriques. This chardonnay shows fine fruit, combining ripe melon and pear with a touch of spiciness from the wood. On the palate the wine has a pleasing, supple character and is elegantly balanced between fruit and acidity.

Red Wine

2004 Chateau Leboscq, Medoc, Cru Bourgeois, Frankreich
Being suggestive of Cabernet Sauvignon, enhanced by proportions of Merlot and Cabernet Franc, Chateau Leboscq has all hallmarks of a classic Cru Bourgeois. With a deep, intense purple red and aromas of blackcurrants, dark berry fruits, gentle spices and elegant toasty notes it is sheer allurement in a glass of wine. Discreet mineral hints give the wine complexity. Fruit flavour is also dominant on the palate and combines well with the ripe tannins, giving the wine a pleasant length.

2006 Monte de Cal Reserva Vino Regional Alentejano, Portugal
The Alentejo plain used to be known as the granary of Portugal and was also famous for cork production. In recent years, however, this region has evolved into an up-and-coming wine region, as this Reserva shows. Purple in colour with an almost opaque centre, this wine has a bouquet suggesting ripe plums and juicy cherries as well as touches of vanilla, gentle spices and toasty notes. On the palate the tannins are powerful yet well-knit, marking their character on this richly structured, complex wine.

Beer

Warsteiner premium verum
Warsteiner premium alkoholfrei

Spirits

Bacardi, Campari,
Bombay Sapphire Gin, Wodka Gorbatschow
Jack Daniel's, Johnnie Walker Black Label
Cognac Lheraud VSOP
Scheibel Williams-Christ Birmen-Brand
Frenet Branca

Liqueur

Baileys Irish Cream
Graham's Portwein

Soft Drinks

Fruit juices
Natural Mineral Water and
Sparkling Natural Mineral Water
Elisabethen Quelle
Apollinaris
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola Light
Sprite
Kinley Tonic Water
Kinley Bitter Lemon
Kinley Ginger Ale

Hot Beverages

Jacobs Royal Diplomat 100% Arabica Coffee from the Highlands
Eilles Black Tea

LH 590 09/08-10/08
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

KHARTOUM to ADDIS ABABA (KRT-ADD) on Lufthansa A300-600 in business class

The bus makes several trips out to the aircraft. It seems there is a discrepancy in the number of disembarking passengers. No one is getting on, but fuel is pumped while we wait. Despite the open doors it remains cool inside. After a while the agitated purser asks the ground staff "well do we have everyone or not?" and with that the ground staff leaves and doors are shut. Our transit ended up being 60 minutes.

A short taxi and we take-off with nice views of the city and river while we turn towards Addis Ababa. Sunset follows quickly, and the speed of the darkness reminds me that we are relatively near the equator.

It is a short flight but enough time for a meal.

The landing is very rough and it seems like the runway is awfully narrow. So much so that I wonder if we landed on the taxiway by mistake. I don't think we did - I don't pay a lot of attention to the lights but think it was jar my subconscious if they were wrong. We miss a taxiway exit and thus have a difficult u-turn where it seems like we are sticking out over both sides of the runway.

Unlike Khartoum there is an airbridge for us. We are ahead of schedule so my transit to the onward flight should in theory be simple.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:00 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
Business Class menu
Khartoum to Addis Ababa
October 2008

Dinner

Entrees

Tafelspitzulze, Rump of Beef Terrine with Horseradish,
Frankfurt Green Sauce and smoked Trout
with Potato Salad

Dessert

Semolina Flummery with spiced Orange

Vinothek Discoveries

Champagne

The chalky soils of Champagne have a determining influence on the character of the grapes varieties pinot noir, chardonnay and pinot meunier, which are found in this cuvee. Maturation on the fine lees after the second fermentation lends the sparkling wine further character. This explains the intense straw-yellow colour, the yeasty aromas as well as the fruity notes of pear and apple. On the palate, this Champagne is very refreshing with a pleasant mousse.

White Wine

"Quality starts in the vineyard, not in the cellar". The Austrian, Leo Hillinger, and the German, Andreas Bender place importance on working in an environmentally-friendly way and on gentle grape and wine handling. The latest technology goes side by side with traditional vinification methods in the cellar. Mineral notes, obvious citrus aromas and subtle fruit characterise the modern style of this wine, which is most pleasing on the palate with its fresh acidity and smooth texture.

The vines for this chardonnay are trained on the typical pergola system, although care is taken to ensure yields are strictly reduced. The grapes are harvested by hand and then pressed. The must ferments, and then ages, in new oak barriques. This chardonnay shows fine fruit, combining ripe melon and pear with a touch of spiciness from the wood. On the palate the wine has a pleasing, supple character and is elegantly balanced between fruit and acidity.

Red Wine

Being suggestive of Cabernet Sauvignon, enhanced by proportions of Merlot and Cabernet Franc, Chateau Leboscq has all hallmarks of a classic Cru Bourgeois. With a deep, intense purple red and aromas of blackcurrants, dark berry fruits, gentle spices and elegant toasty notes it is sheer allurement in a glass of wine. Discreet mineral hints give the wine complexity. Fruit flavour is also dominant on the palate and combines well with the ripe tannins, giving the wine a pleasant length.

The Alentejo plain used to be known as the granary of Portugal and was also famous for cork production. In recent years, however, this region has evolved into an up-and-coming wine region, as this Reserva shows. Purple in colour with an almost opaque centre, this wine has a bouquet suggesting ripe plums and juicy cherries as well as touches of vanilla, gentle spices and toasty notes. On the palate the tannins are powerful yet well-knit, marking their character on this richly structured, complex wine.

Beer

Warsteiner premium verum

Spirits

Bacardi, Campari,
Cognac Lheraud VSOP
Frenet Branca

Liqueur

Baileys Irish Cream
Graham's Portwein

Soft Drinks

Fruit juices
Elisabethen Quelle
Apollinaris
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola Light
Sprite
Kinley Tonic Water
Kinley Bitter Lemon
Kinley Ginger Ale

Hot Beverages

Eilles Black Tea

LH 590 09/08-10/08
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

In transit in Addis Ababa

I didn't know what to expect, but here the transit is as simple as in major western airports (or even easier). There is a sign before immigration for international transfers. There were some queues in front of a few desks. I didn't wait long as watching the people in front it became obvious the queues were for those who had not checked in for their onward flight. Then straight up an escalator to departures level. Simple, no fuss.

Within 2 minutes I was in the airport lounge. Again I was unsure if there was a lounge for which I'd be eligible to access, but spied a Lufthansa sign nearby and sure enough the contract lounge is available for elite/premium passengers on several airlines. The lounge is okay without being stunning. A bathroom but no showers. Plenty of food and drink options. 3 computers. A bit hot though - much warmer than in the general terminal. I had a couple of coffees to keep awake and revive myself. For I had a potentially difficult middle of the night transit coming up.

Staff wandered around calling each flight well after I'd heard the boarding call wafting in the open door from the main terminal - to allow plenty of time for non-lounge passengers to clear gate security and thus no queue for us.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

ADDIS ABABA to KHARTOUM (ADD-KRT) on Lufthansa A300-600 in business class

While in the lounge I was thinking about my upcoming transit, which I expected to be tricky. Wait ... I'm getting ahead of myself again.

When I was planning the trip I was pleasantly surprised to see on the online *A RTW tool there are a few options for getting back from Addis Ababa and connecting to my trans-Atlantic flight.

I could take Lufthansa back to Frankfurt - boring.

I could fly bmi to London Heathrow from Addis Ababa (via Amman at the time but in the intervening period routing changed to via Damascus) on an A320. This is interesting. The connection in Addis Ababa is good, and I have a fallback position of taking the Lufthansa flight in the event the bmi flight is cancelled or severely delayed. However, it does leave me one flight short of the maximum on the ticket, and being close to the maximum mileage allowance it will be difficult to utilise. I hate leaving a flight on the table.

Aha. There it is on the planner, a routing via Khartoum on Lufthansa, connecting to bmi to London Heathrow (via Beirut), also on an A320. Not as good a schedule due to a several hour middle of the night transit in Khartoum, but at least that gives a bit of a buffer for delays. I also liked the idea of a transit in Khartoum ... it is not everyday that such an opportunity arises. So this is what I booked.

Back to the present. I needed to keep awake for the upcoming transit. I didn't have high hopes for amenities in Khartoum airport. I guess very few passengers make international transits in Sudan, so it may be even trickier than in Algiers. At least here I have some hours time to resolve. I do not yet have a boarding pass for the bmi flight, so if I'm stuck airside (which I'd expect given I have no Sudan visa) I'll likely need an officer to check in for me. I checked that the bmi flight from London Heathrow to Khartoum was essentially on time and not cancelled or major delay. So no need for me to attempt to switch to Lufthansa.

I also thought about arriving in USA later. If I get secondary at immigration as I did back in April (when I'd been to Iran, Iraq and Libya en route to USA), that would certainly force me to miss my onward flight and result in the loss of a whole day. Would checking in for USA from Sudan cause an issue? It might.

So I had a bit on my mind when I left the lounge for the nearby gate. At security it was soon clear it was voluntary whether you remove belt, shoes, liquid baggy. Voluntary unless you set off the WTMD that is. Even though WTMD machines are the same everywhere it is, in my experience, a lottery as to what sensitivity they have been set to. Some are set quite low and no problems even if you later realise you have a pocket full of change. Others are set very high and even the tiny piece of metal on the passport cover is enough to set it off. This time I guessed right and so did not need to divest myself of anything (other than cellphone and wallet which I'd placed in my carry-on as is my normal routine).

At the desk I enquired about checking in for my onward flight but was told I could not unless it was a Lufthansa flight. So I hopped onboard and settled back into the same seat I'd left about an hour previously.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 31, 2008 at 11:14 pm
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

"You'll need to leave the aircraft so we can close the flight."

After the last passenger had boarded I was interrupted from my reverie with a brusque request to get my things and leave. Not words one wishes to hear ... especially in the middle of the night when trying to leave a country with few flights.

Apparently if I get off this aircraft at Khartoum I am violating traffic rights. So the Lufthansa agent wants me to hop off the aircraft and reticket. If I am lucky I might be able to fly on bmi directly to London Heathrow. But there are no guarantees. If I'm unlucky then I'm stuck in Addis Ababa for at least a day.

Naturally I did not want a bar of this and so I stood (or rather sat) my ground, and politely asked why is this a problem only now and was not raised when my booking was checked before ticketing, or at any time during the months subsequent to ticketing, or at check in at Frankfurt? If the issue had been identified earlier I could have secured a reasonable alternative.

Instead, I was faced with the choice of getting off the aircraft and maybe getting stranded in Addis Ababa, or staying in my seat so that it remains Lufthansa's problem. Of course I was careful to remain polite and unthreatening. With the tiredness and stress I had to fight to keep unemotional as possible in the circumstances, lest it be misconstrued. The last thing I wanted was to be escorted off the aircraft by police. Then it really would become my problem.

Fortunately for me the purser quickly involved himself and suggested I fly through to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and then onward to London Heathrow. As I'd have half a day to get from Frankfurt to London Heathrow to make my onward flight, that solution was perfectly acceptable to me.

In the interests of getting the flight out on time, the ground person quickly relented and I started breathing again.

The purser collected my itinerary and ticket details to contact Lufthansa and make arrangements for me to be booked on a Frankfurt to London Heathrow flight in the morning. He was very good (including keeping me informed of progress) and went beyond what I had any right to expect. ^ I have, of course, provided Lufthansa with positive feedback for his personnel file.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

ADDIS ABABA to KHARTOUM (ADD-KRT) on Lufthansa A300-600 in business class continued

A light meal was served. Much as I felt I could do with a stiff drink or three, I decided not to. This was to ensure I didn't get carried away and end up drunk or smelling of booze when I turn up at ticketing in Frankfurt in several hours time ... in case of complications.

Exhausted by lack of sleep this trip and the release of stress on departure, I slept soundly for most of the short flight. I awoke when we touched down and was startled to find my glass of water was still on the side tray, which even half asleep I instinctively grasped before it shot off somewhere and injured someone.

We had barely reached the stand when the bmi A320 touched down behind us.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
Business Class menu
Addis Ababa to Khartoum
October 2008

Dinner

Entree

Chicken Apricot Sosatie with marinated Feta Cheese,
Air dried Beef and red Onion Wedge

Dessert

Pannacotta with Granadilla Coulis

Vinothek Discoveries

Champagne

White Wine

Red Wine

Beer

Warsteiner premium verum

Spirits

Bacardi, Campari,
Cognac Lheraud VSOP
Frenet Branca

Liqueur

Baileys Irish Cream
Graham's Portwein

Soft Drinks

Fruit juices
Elisabethen Quelle
Apollinaris
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola Light
Sprite
Kinley Tonic Water
Kinley Bitter Lemon
Kinley Ginger Ale

Hot Beverages

Eilles Black Tea

LH 591 09/08-10/08
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

KHARTOUM to FRANKFURT (KRT-FRA) on Lufthansa A300-600 in business class

I'm asked to switch seats for the onward leg, but I still get a business class seat so I'm happy. Another sign that Lufthansa must have been aware of my itinerary.

While we waited for the Khartoum originating passengers to arrive by bus a couple of announcements asked if any passenger had contact lens removal stuff in their carry-ons, and if any passenger onboard was an eye doctor. I've travelled a lot and so have heard requests for doctors or nurses many times. But this is a first for me, a request for an eye doctor.

Not very many passengers join us, but the aircraft is full enough ... at least in business class.

Shortly after take-off an extra light meal, not in the printed menu, is offered. Chicken or salmon ciabatta sandwich, and apples. About an hour before landing breakfast is offered.

During the flight daylight saving ended in Germany, so we arrived at a ridiculously early hour. For the first time in this trip thick fog enveloped us, making for an extremely slow taxi as they cautiously drove along the taxiways. It was also a very long taxi ... we'd landed on the cross runway and our stand was way down the far end of the airport about as far as it is possible to be past the terminal. Our passports were checked at the top of the stairs.

Once we were all in the buses, we had a slow drive to the B bus arrival gate, due to the poor visibility. All up it took about 40 minutes from touch-down until reaching the terminal.

Inside the transfer desk was open but not ticketing. I decided to try the transfer desk on the offchance the reticketing had already been taken care of, and because the bouncer said ticketing wouldn't open until 7am. I'd been told by the purser I was rebooked on a 7:30am flight to London, so clearly ticketing opening at 7:00am would be a problem with that plan. Unfortunately check in was unable to check me in as I'd been rebooked but not reticketed.

Luckily, ticket desk actually opened at 6:00am, so I only had to wait half an hour.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
Business Class menu
Khartoum to Frankfurt
October 2008

Breakfast

Entrees

Fresh Fruit

Granola

Air dried Beef,
Andean Herb Cheese, Cheddar

Omelette with mixed Pepper, grilled Beef Fillet,
Potatoes and Ratatouille

Vinothek Discoveries

Champagne

White Wine

Red Wine

Beer

Warsteiner premium verum

Spirits

Bacardi, Campari,
Cognac Lheraud VSOP
Frenet Branca

Liqueur

Baileys Irish Cream
Graham's Portwein

Soft Drinks

Fruit juices
Elisabethen Quelle
Apollinaris
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola Light
Sprite
Kinley Tonic Water
Kinley Bitter Lemon
Kinley Ginger Ale

Hot Beverages

Eilles Black Tea

LH 591 09/08-10/08
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

On reaching Frankfurt I have earned, by my calculations, some 750k airline status miles (or equivalent) this year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.