Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by senatorgirth
How in the world is CO planning on resuming IAH hub operations tomorrow (Monday) with all that damage? How do they expect the hundreds, if not thousands, of people who work at the airport to get there? Passengers to get to and from the airport?
We have a 12:00 noon briefing after that I will give you the low down..
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TMOliver
could CO have moved a cadre of support staff to DFW to operate some of the long hauls that ended up being cancelled (at great expense) giving pax booked on those flights the alternative of a resked or arriving at an airport from which other transport, air or ground, was going to be available.
I cannot imagine that the cost of flying all those flights to DFW or AUS and then leaving pax there would be less than that of canceling all the flights. It seems that the vast majority of folks who are not heading to IAH and were just using it for connections are being absorbed by EWR/CLE or other alternate plans. Plus CO would need enough people willing to fly to the alternate airport rather than just wait a few days. Otherwise the flight would lose money on account of not having a particularly high load factor.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
To those of you who have to drive on Houston roads, please consider intersections with no traffic lights as a 4 way stop. I don't know what the law is in Texas. However, after surviving Andrew, I had to deal with people who didn't know that intersections with no working lights is a 4 way stop (according to Florida law). I would assume that Texas has a similar law. Plenty of people were killed and maimed after Andrew because of barreling into an intersection without stopping.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: National Executive Elite
What was the one EWR-IAH flight that operated today? Flight 1944. Looks like there were only a dozen people on the flight and they were all stand-by's.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Case1096
What was the one EWR-IAH flight that operated today? Flight 1944. Looks like there were only a dozen people on the flight and they were all stand-by's.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=19
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by primedude
A couple times I got that "30 minutes" message, but had a rep pick up pretty quickly. Most of the times I called I got a message saying "We are unable to answer your call right now. Please try again later." Other times I'd make it through the IVR, and get dumped to a busy signal.

I talked to another rep late last night, who said that going by their general directives, 72 on 9/14 was going to be cancelled but that the cancellation hadn't been processed yet. (To my uninformed perspective, this seems possible, but it also seems possible that the plane from CO 1 would still be in HNL from Saturday, and they might not be prevented from flying that into IAH by Monday.) I went ahead and changed our flight to CO 2 on Tuesday.
Seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there. As of this morning 72 is still on schedule. We're coming into HNL on an inter-island this afternoon so I guess we'll find out for sure when we get there. I guess if we have so spend some extra time in HNL it won't be the end of the world
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:08 pm

1 Pm Update

The terminal Link is running to all Terminals but right now is in the testing phase due to some damage. We are planning on the big CO side to run a pretty full schedule tomorrow (Monday) on the COEX side I was told by a VERY reliable source that we will be looking at COEX to run about 50% tomorrow. As always there will be plenty of unforseen issues such as crews, Colgan and CHQ. There are also still alot of unknowns.

Leadership is all over the airport trying to moniter things and bring our operation back. Hub Vp- Price and hub Ops Director just ran into me and they all were very focused on getting this back on track..

More info as it comes. Be Safe.

Heres some photos not many due to I was kinda busy...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454699@N07/?saved=1

Last edited by coairtul; Sep 14, 2008 at 12:18 pm Reason: Photos
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT; CO Gold
Originally Posted by TexasWes
Seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there. As of this morning 72 is still on schedule. We're coming into HNL on an inter-island this afternoon so I guess we'll find out for sure when we get there. I guess if we have so spend some extra time in HNL it won't be the end of the world
Yeah, I'm curious to hear -- good luck getting back! Or getting stuck on Oahu, as the case may be. We figured if we might get stuck, we'd rather be stuck on Kauai a little longer before taking our chances at getting stuck at Honolulu as well.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: WN A List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Thank you [B]coairtul[B] for all the great updates! I'm supposed to be on 727/2884 BWI-DAL through IAH tomorrow and now have a backup reservation on AA to DFW, but would prefer to take CO. It sounds like things are going as well as can be expected under the circumstances.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
While origination and destination passengers are important I would suspect that IAH is more about the connections and not having the planes moving within the system is a problem. By opening IAH it allows for the regular flow of planes and people around the CO system.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Do any of you think the Mo. morn Clt-Iah 6A flt will be going ? Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2008, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Do any of you think the Mo. morn Clt-Iah 6A flt will be going ? Thanks
Its operating but I would not call it a morning flight any longer... Showing delayed 7hrs.. Sub to change.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Starting to see some movements of empty aircrafts ferrying around. For example, they sent a 753 from LAS here to LAX last night, and another today. May be ready for redeyes out of LAX to IAH tonite.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Scott6067
While origination and destination passengers are important I would suspect that IAH is more about the connections and not having the planes moving within the system is a problem. By opening IAH it allows for the regular flow of planes and people around the CO system.
Yes and no. Right now CO seems to have "fixed" most of that so that planes that would normally be passing through IAH are not, for the most part. Some examples I can think of are ATL, ORD, MCO and TPA (though apparently one ORD flight today was canceled because of IAH). But the other cities seem to be doing OK without the need to cycle planes through. Sure, capacity is reduced, but the planes that should be flying mostly are.

For whatever reason I hadn't realized until about an hour ago that I might actually end up affected by this. I've got a MR planned for Tuesday/Wednesday, with the Tuesday flight on CO PHL-IAH-HNL. If I wasn't connecting on to a UA flight once I got to HNL I'd call CO and trade my seats for a later date since mine is completely discretionary. As it stands, however, I'd lose my UA ticket, too, and that wouldn't be so good for me.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 2:24 pm

Due to we are trying to finish the cleaning process I think I have taken most of the photos that may be worth looking at.

Link Below
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454699@N07/?saved=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.