FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (DEAL GONE) LAN.com drops YQ surcharge -> cheap flights
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:23 am
djohannw

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
As the originator of this "Bug" on the USA-Reisen forum I had hoped sincerely it would not show up here as this usually destroys such a thing in hours, at least in days...well, at least it took more than two weeks to do so...;-)!

However since it now has made it here, you may want to consider the following things:

- LAN.com is based on Amadeus, so anything that can be booked there can (in general) be booked on LAN.com as well.
- exception: it has proven impossible to book children or infants - book those passengers as Adults.
- exception: SOME itineraries that can be selected and priced cannot be purchased successfully, e.g. a 30€ DUS-MAD same-day roundtrip on LH in E-class. A DUS-PMI with similar parameters goes through as does a 40€ DUS-MAD on IB.
- warning: Is you shoot for the last available seat for a certain flight, be aware that even when things go wrong and LAN.com tells you nothing has happened, one thing HAS happened: They set up a reservation holding this last seat. These are released a few days later as no ticket-number in there, but the last seat is gone at least until then.
- If you want to check your reservation, checkmytrip.com is your friend.
- when booking there, normal routing- and flight-applicable-rules apply. If you find a mixed-airline itinerary (e.g. BA to London and then UA to Washington) prepare to see a minimum of a B-fare pricing. Stick to one alliance if at all possible to get the deals.
- if you encounter error-messages, rinse-wash-repeat. Sometimes LAN.com has a hickup or two. Maybe sleep over it - sometimes things that have not worked the day before work the next morning on the first attempt.
- it SEEMS that once you have successfully used a credit card it cannot be used for additional purposes - I had to use three different ones for my three purchases.
- American Express seems especially picky with LAN.com - I could not get my purchase through using my AX-card.
- you can book an bunch of Airlines using this - proven so far are ticketed itineraries that include LH, UA, AZ, AA, IB and BA.
- Be aware: Tickets are issued on 045 stock irrespective which airline you fly
- you have no chance to get anything displayed later the day or what is not showing initially - take it or leave it.
- Departing from Europe, making sure your first segment is XXX-LHR makes things a lot easier.
- if your desired airport is not listed, use "other cities". However some (like BHX) do work, others (like LCA or OKC) don't, even though they are decoded correctly.

That said, there are a LOT of possible itineraries out there. I just booked CGN-LHR-IAD-LGA-IAD-MUC-CGN on a mix of UA/LH in W for September for just 282€.

Greetings - Dirk