FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - POLL: "NGBC: Better or worse than old Business?"
Old Jan 31, 2008, 3:48 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by kuja
OMG the I am so sick of the new seats in business class that they have offered this year. I know they "lie flat" but I have the following problems:
kuja, all good points. However, AA is planning some changes that may help fix some of them:
1. The seats do NOT lay flat you end up scrunched up at the bottom of the seat b/c you "fall down" not making for ANY sleep to be possible.
The next update to the business class amenities kit will include Velcro underwear. Simply change into your Velcro undies before reclining and you will remain in the optimal sleeping position. The kit will come with the usual warning labels suggesting removal before undertaking "other activities" to ensure your continued personal comfort.
2. The seats are narrower - by 4 inches - may not sound like much but when you got back and measure coach and find out that its about 2 inch difference between coach and business you start to wonder.
This was done for two reasons. Firstly in recognition that many of AA's business class passengers are in fact upgrades from the narrow seats rather than downgrades from the real premium cabin. It can now be marketed as an extra 2 inches of seat width. And secondly, AA needed to look for new and innovative ways to fund the cabin "upgrade" process, and in desperation found that Weight Watchers offered a more attractive sponsorship package than Cadbury.
3. The power adapter is in the front of your seat so that you cannot connect unless you block the ability for the other person to "get out" so that IF they do try and get out then they will fall, and yes i have seen this, the guy cracked his head on the adjacent armrest! it wadnt pretty!
This power source location is only temporary. AA plans to implement the new IEEE802.113gaf standard for Power over Wireless. This is a combination of 802.11g (WiFi) and 802.3af (Power over Ethernet). Once implemented throughout the business class cabin, all passengers will be able to receive power without cables. This service will come with a warning that passengers should remove glasses, jewellery and metallic objects before activating their 802.311gaf power unit. The new Velcro underwear mentioned above will be certified non-conductive and safe for wearing when 802.311gaf is operating.

In the meantime, AA will recommend the wearing of Velcro underwear on your head when stepping out over a reclined aisle seatmate who is not using 802.311gaf, as this will help protect against the unfortunate head knocks you mentoin.
4. The video units are portable... that is funny ! They place them in there and then half of them are broken! I mean come on ! then the best part is that the cord for earphones plugs into the Video unit ALL THE WAY IN THE BACK OF THE SEAT IN FRONT OF YOU! So agian you have to unplug with the window dude goes to the bathroom!
There is good reason for this. AA noted the continued reliability problems some other airlines are experiencing with the AVOD systems that have been installed into their seats. Often when they experience AVOD problems, the whole cabin or even the whole aircraft is affected. This can lead to significant compensation payments. I have seen reports of compensation payments of up to $500 per person for failed IFE (more common is $100-$300 depending on flight length, cabin, status). AA made a commercial decision that its cheaper to replace a broken portable player than to pay compensation. The problem is that the broken ones are not being replaced yet because they are waiting for the new 802.311gaf compatible version. These new units will have Velcro strips fastened to the under-side to ensure the remain on the IFE table. They will come with a warning not to place the unit on your lap when wearing the Velcro underwear .
5. My power pack for my laptop draws 90 watts, normally NOT a problem on ANY airline up till now.., but the seats, and I have confirmed this with AA, only allow for 75 watts so NO WORKIE. LAME as i have an IBM power pack and and IBM laptop...
See note above re introduction of 802.311gaf. Note that to switch from th e75W mode to 90W mode of 802.311gaf, you will need to notify the FA so they can notify the captain to wind up the engines to generate the extra power required. You will be given the option to use cash or AA miles to cover the carbon offset tax.
6. If you want to put something under the seat in front of you, you cant b/c then your seat will NOT go down all the way so ... where are you supposed to put it ??? in the aisle? Sure cant put it in the overhead b/c they dont have any more room at that point... I mean by the time you realize it ... so you are stuck not reclining.... OH and this is b/c when they put these seats in they made them have one more row! NICE huh! so they eliminated the ability for you to have any room to get out if the other person is lieing down OR having anything under the seat in front of you...
This is where's AA's new partnership deal with Velcro shows the new levels of innovation to which AA is now committed. Passengers will be able to purchase the new range of Velcro-covered cabin luggage through the AAdvantage On-line Store, or from the in-flight duty-free catalog on international flights. This will allow your new, stylish cabin luggage to be located on the ceiling above your seat rather than under the seat in front of you. This will come with a warning not to place your cabin bags on you lap when wearing your Velcro underwear, and not to wear your Velcro underwear if planning to ... well we don't need all the details here - FT is family-friendly and what happens in the air stays in the air (literally when wearing Velcro undies near the new Velcro cabin storage system).
Safe travels!
Ahh, so you have seen the new marketing plan for Velcro and AA.