FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Oz Fest #5" - Hobart TASMANIA - Memorial Day weekend May 23-25, 2008
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:00 pm
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
MargoOz and I flew down to Hobart recently on our own dime for 4 days. We spent the time checking out all the options possible for a group like ours.

We spoke to all the major tour operators there and made personal visits to 5 hotels that were likely places to stay, to talk a rates deal, and to look
at rooms.

Here is my suggestion of a schedule for this OzFest #4

Hotel Central

Most folks will I am sure stay at the Old Woolstore which we adjudged the most suitable hotel for this event at Hotel Central, and virtually all posts from members who had also stayed there were most positive as well.

I am trying to get the price down further for our group on one room type, and will advise, but they seem very unkeen to budge as there is a convention on in town that week.

So far we came up with a pretty good deal of $A139 incl. taxes for a room with 1 or 2 queen beds, or $A159 for a studio apartment - http://www.oldwoolstore.com.au/accom...dio_apartments

The apartments are great as they have microwave, stove, fridge and
washing machine and dryer etc.

I asked him for a special deal on 1 bedroom apartments for first 15-20 bookings, for the same $A155 type price as studio apartments and he has not got back to me yet. His group rate on those 1 bedroom apartments was $A176. Basically a 1 bedroom suite type deal. We stayed in one and they are really nice for a few days, and many have small balconies.

He will do a 2 bedroom apartment for $A224 which will hold 4 persons in 2 x Queen beds if any folks here want to juggle that around between them.

These rates are only when booked direct with the Hotel and the rate code I asked him today to load was “Flyertalk, 23rd – 26th May 2008” Manager confirms that rate is now loaded. Rates are fully inclusive of GST and taxes.

Remember Hobart has REAL limited supply of anything vaguely resembling top end hotel rooms. It is not Chicago and it is not Miami and it is not Sydney. It is essentially a big country town in population, and there are NO USA based chain hotels, so please no-one idly muse whether there are Sheratons, Hyatts, Marriott's or Radissons - as there ARE none!

The weekend we flew down I left it late to book, assuming there would be last minute deals and I was VERY sadly mistaken. A month earlier there looked to be plenty of options. This is a Flyertalk group rate and Scott the Manager has just set up the "Flyertalk, 23rd – 26th May 2008” " booking code for it to be accessed.

All FT'ers would book direct with Hotel, but please let us know on thread where you are booked to assist Mwenenzi with his great spreadsheet tracking!

Glen

(UPDATE .. .see post 291 below for the larger discount I was able to secure for 1 bedroom apartments .. little mini suites really. $A165 inc all taxes etc.) Near all attendees have booked these so far.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...565post8892565

Last edited by ozstamps; Feb 8, 2008 at 7:39 pm