FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort leaves SPG 6/30/09 (Master Thread)
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:12 pm
griffinj

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Thumbs down

I checked into the Sheraton Our Lucaya in Freeport, Grand Bahama with my wife earlier today. This is our second time staying at this resort, the last time we stayed at the Westin.

During check-in we were shown a notice by the front desk that effective September 10, 2007 the 2 pools at the Sheraton would be closed for maintenance. One of the pools is scheduled to reopen this weekend, the second pool is expected to remain closed "much longer".

It was the convenience of having the pools right outside the door of the hotel that brought us to this resort. We chose this hotel because we wanted to lounge by the pools for an extended weekend getaway.

The alternative for us is to walk to the Westin to use the pools. While this is a fine alternative and the Westin has very nice pools, instead of having a pool right outside out door we have to walk across the resort to the Westin's pools.

This is an inconvenience, and while not the end of the world, had I been notified that the pools were closed prior to my arrival, I would have canceled my reservation with the Sheraton and booked at the Westin for the convenience of having the pools close by. We like to get away for 3 or 4 day weekends throughout the year and cherish this time.

I have verified the announcement sections of the Our Lucaya properties web sites on starwoodhotels.com and found nothing to mention to closing of the pools.

As we've already checked-in to the Sheraton, what are our options for checking out and canceling the remainder of our reservation? Should we be due some compensation from the resort for this inconvenience? Perhaps a room at the Westin for the price we're paying for the room at the Sheraton? Maybe some extra points?

Since it's evening I figured it best to wait until morning to try to discuss with hotel management.

Any advice from FTers or William from Starwood in how best I handle this situation is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

griffinj