FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does it matter that I didn't check in?
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2007, 9:09 am
jrhone

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I'm going to assume Emirates didn't have the ability to issue the BP.

I flew KUL-DXB-EWR on MH when they operated the route. I had a connecting flight on CO to SDF, but MH wasn't able to check me in for that segment despite being partners (all of the flights were on one ticket). They were able to tag my baggage through to SDF - even though I had to claim and re-deposit after clearing US Customs.

In other cases I've had another airline issue all of my boarding passes for a trip. MA (Malev) was able to issue me boarding passes for BUD-AMS (MA) and AMS-BOS on NW (paper ticket). I've had KL at BCN print boarding passes for BCN-AMS (KL) AMS-DTW-SDF (NW) without problem (e-ticket) -- also had NW issue BP's for flights on Korean -- but upon arrival at LAX, KE would not accept the NW printed BP's and issued new ones on KE stock.

Some airlines can do it, others can't. It hasn't been answered whether the OP had two seperate tix -- or was travelling on one ticket. With seperate tix, you can still have luggage tagged all the way through, but you must check-in with the carrier operating the flight to get your BP's. If travelling on seperate tix, misconnecting without protection by the airline is a risk that one takes.
Not sure about the other air carriers, but for informational purposes, AA's current edifact partners are

4M - Lan Argentina
AC - Air Canada
AS - Alaska Airlines
AY - Finnair
BA - British Airways
BR - EVA Air
CI - China Airlines
CO - Continental
CX - Cathay Pacific
DL - Delta
EI - Aer Lingus
EK - Emirates
FJ - Air Pacific
GF - Gulf Air
HA - Hawaiian
IB - Iberia
JJ - TAM Brazilian
JL - Japan Airlines
LA - Lan
LO - LOT Polish
LP - Lan Peru
LR - Lacsa
LX - Swiss
MA - Malev Hungarian
MX - Mexicana
NW - Northwest
PR - Philippine
QF - Qantas
RJ - Royal Jordanian
S2 - Air Sahara
SN - SN Brussels
SQ - Singapore
TA - TACA
TK - Turkish
UH - US Helicopter
US - USAirways
VN - Vietnam
YX - Midwest

AA should (with some exceptions ) be able to issue boarding passes, tag bags, make seat changes , view seat maps and passenger lists.

I know some times we cant issue BP's for the reason you correctly pointed out , paper tickets. Sometimes you will get a message upon check in saying "OA CHECKIN FIALED, REFER TO OA" . This seems to happen often with BA , and is usually the result of a spelling error in the name.

Edit . Actually now I think about it I can remember more than one occasion when I have issued OA boarding passes with a paper ticket. Not sure why sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

Last edited by jrhone; Apr 28, 2007 at 9:27 am