FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada flight scare has passengers demanding answers
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:13 pm
zorn

Programs: AC E75K *G
"Am I going to die?" FAQ
  1. The oxygen masks came down. Does that mean I'm going to die?

If you don't put it on you will die. Otherwise, no, you will not die.
  2. Why did the masks come down?

Because the cabin lost pressure. You need the oxygen until we get closer to the ground.
  3. Do I need to know why the cabin lost pressure?

No, you don't.
  4. But shouldn't you tell me the reason the cabin lost pressure?

Sorry, I'm busy right now trying to make sure you don't die. If that's the only problem, not even I need to know. I just need to know how to make sure the consequences of the immediate problem are not severe. Someone will investigate the cause when gravity and the oxygen supply are not pressing concerns.
  5. How am I supposed to know that the oxygen masks coming down doesn't mean we will crash and I will die?

If we are about to crash someone will tell you to do something other than sitting calmly with an oxygen mask on. That would be a pretty good hint we aren't going to crash.
  6. But I'm unhappy that the oxygen masks fell down. What are you going to do about it?

I'm going to make sure you can take off the masks in a few minutes. If you cannot stand being unhappy, feel free to remove your mask. Your unhappiness will soon cease.
  7. Some deaths, such as my own, would be more tragic than others. Is there any way you could tell those of us who will be more sorely missed a detailed technical description of the cause of cabin depressurization?

8. Great! We didn't die. In the time it took me to step off the plane the investigation surely determined the cause of the problem. Could you let me or my therapist know as I am getting off the plane?