FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $20 Tip at Hotel Check-in!
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:24 am
skofarrell
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Vigilante
What happens if you "tip" and then don't get the upgrade? Do you get the cash back? Awkward?
You don't hand the cash over until the upgrade is secured.

Walk up to the counter. Hand over your card and id (if required). Look the clerk in the eye while leaving the $20/50/100 in plain sight on the counter. "I was wondering if I could possibly get an upgrade into a mega luxury fantastico suite?". The clerk will do one of three things:

1. Eye the bill, and get you your upgrade (if this happens, you press the bill into your hand, shake the clerks hand while passing the bill. Mission accomplished.

2. Look in the computer and say, I can upgrade you for $X per night. You the realize that you've lost the bribe game and scored a clerk that does not know how to supplement their income. You than have to decide if the up charge is worth it.

3. Sorry no upgrades tonight, we're full up. You may be in a pickle here. They may really be full, or you may not have offered enough. Move form a $20 to a $50 or $100 if you really want the suite and ask "are you sure"? If they say their sure, see number 2 above. If the $50 or $100 shakes a suite loose, you should be a bit embarrassed for not offering enough the first time, but are back in the game.