FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simple Newb Question about United Miles for BMI Flight
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:45 pm
rangerss75

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by cakobau
Be careful, this is not quite true. BMI *does* give miles on all flights, it seems, but not all Star Alliance flights earn miles. See this thread for the breakdown -- even then, there are some % that are changing, scroll to the last posts.

But you're safe in BMI.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445613
As I expected, that list differs from the awards given to BMI FFers in that for us, from 1st November, some of the lowest fares no longer give miles and others only give 50% or 25% of BMI base miles. So you should get 250 miles per sector for any BMI flights, though it might be worth checking beforehand.

That said, I think Mileage Plus members get a very poor deal on BMI. I know you can't compare FF schemes which have completely different cultures in mind. For example, the free upgrades you all value are completely absent from European programmes (actually BMI is an exception as it allows Golds 4 upgrades a year on BMI flights only. But the upgrade is only allowed to E+ in the case of long-haul, and to C in Europe where there are hardly any flights with C to upgrade to!).

But that apart, your mileage awards on BMI are terrible. C and Y fares both give me 1600 base miles per journey (whereas Mileage Plus members get 500 for C and 250 for Y). OK, you say, all programmes give more for flying their own airline. Yet when I fly UA I get 600 base miles (it used to be 800 till a few months ago!) on any Economy fare, and 1800 (used to be 2400) on F or A fares. On flights of more than 600 miles I get 100%, 200% and 300% for Y, C and F class, respectively. Silver and Gold bonus is 25% of base miles or miles flown on all *Alliance flights.

It's really OT, but it would be interesting to know whether Mileage Plus members would rather keep their many means of obtaining free upgrades and their present mileage-earning rate, or whether they'd prefer to be awarded the amount of miles I get when flying UA and other *Alliance carriers, but with no chance of an upgrade (except four a year for 1P and 1K members, only upgrading to E+ on international flights and F on domestic).

Last edited by rangerss75; Aug 20, 2005 at 1:51 pm