Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Check in as late as possible may be a nice idea, but in regular eco it will just result in getting a middle seat in the back of the bus.
Agreed! In econ extra at least that is less likely to happen. I will get my agent to take away the seat requests that he has for this trip and check in as late as I can to see what happens.

I think on the CPH-SEA leg that there are always those seats to the far elft and far right which cannot be reserved in advance. At worst I get one of thos, at best they will move me to the front.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold for life, BAEC GGL, Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Hi!

From what I´ve heard they upgrade by boarding-number as a factor, so if you have a low BN# there is bigger chance to get an upgrade!

I have had a 50% hit-rate when it comes to upgrade on my 6 latest flights in Economy Intra-Europe.

Best regards
/Patrik
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by paen08
Hi!

From what I´ve heard they upgrade by boarding-number as a factor, so if you have a low BN# there is bigger chance to get an upgrade!

I have had a 50% hit-rate when it comes to upgrade on my 6 latest flights in Economy Intra-Europe.

Best regards
/Patrik
So how do I find out what my boarding number is?

Bob

Last edited by Ozziebob; Aug 12, 2008 at 1:20 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold for life, BAEC GGL, Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
It´s printed on the boarding-card, on the new-ones as Seq#

BR
/Patrik
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by paen08
It´s printed on the boarding-card, on the new-ones as Seq#

BR
/Patrik
ok, this is the same system that United uses. So, I guess the question is whether there is a way to make sure you get a low boarding number...
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Ozziebob
ok, this is the same system that United uses. So, I guess the question is whether there is a way to make sure you get a low boarding number...
Internet check in open 22 hours before departure, you should quite easily be having a one digit sequence number if you check in that early. Having that said I have no experience if this really gives you the priority for any upgrade.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by A-340 GOT
Internet check in open 22 hours before departure, you should quite easily be having a one digit sequence number if you check in that early. Having that said I have no experience if this really gives you the priority for any upgrade.
Just so that understand it, you mean that the earlier you check-in on-line, the lower the boarding sequence, and hence, the better the chance for upgrade?

I have done just that and not had an upgrade in a year. I will try the last minute method this time and report back on Sunday, when I arrive in SFO.

One footnote: United have a feature on their on-line check in that allows you to upgrade from econ to econ extra for $40 on domestic flights. This is random, depending on space, but seems to work fine. I have used it several times and makes a difference on the SFO-Washington route.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Ozziebob
It has been a long time since I have received an upgrade on SAS, even with the EBG and travelling Econ Extra on SAS. I have some routes that I fly Swiss instead as the Swiss business ticket is usually the same as the SAS econ extra (CPH-BOS, CPH-DEL etc).

A colelague of mine seems to get upgraded regularly, so this is what he does:

Never gets a seat allocated in advance
Never checks in on-line
Checks in earliest 1.5 hours before take off

I usually break all of these rules. He just sms'd me that he just got upgraded again CPH-SEA. I am on this flight on Saturday, so I will try his theory. The flight is full in econ extra at the moment as I can't get a seat allocated.

I will try this out and report back.
It might help a bit, but I'd rather take my chances with a decent eco seat than to risk being stuck in the middle.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gnopps
It might help a bit, but I'd rather take my chances with a decent eco seat than to risk being stuck in the middle.
The risk is quite small as they will always upgrade an EBG rather than downgrade. Will have my travel agent check tomorrow if the business is full on the flight. It will be an interesting experiment as I normally check in on-line as soon as it opens, arrive 2+ hours at CPH, and seldom get upgraded,
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Maybe a bit OT, but on my latest LHR-CPH flight, a SK flight attendant was upgraded from M to C just before take-off. No obvious reason except comfort (M just about full, Y full, and C less than 10% full).

In my opinion, since they want to upgrade their own crew before EBGs in the first place, they should at least have the decency to do it before boarding. There and then it was just annoying to be woken up by the staff, so that the FA next to me could get out of the seat and be moved up to C...
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I have witnessed the same on a CPH-IAD flight last year.

After boarding and head count was completed, the ground supervisor (female) approached two women in Y+ and whispered "6A and 6B"; the women (probably SK employees or friends of the supervisor) immediately went to the front cabin. Minutes later the supervisor approached an elderly American couple in Y+ and said something I could not hear - but they also went the front cabin.

This is NOT the way to handle upgrades - upgrades should be done at the gate - not in front of fellow pax - in particular when there are no operational reasons for the upgrade like a full Y or Y+ cabin but merely doing it as a favour to colleagues or friends.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR

After boarding and head count was completed, the ground supervisor (female) approached two women in Y+ and whispered "6A and 6B"; the women (probably SK employees or friends of the supervisor) immediately went to the front cabin. Minutes later the supervisor approached an elderly American couple in Y+ and said something I could not hear - but they also went the front cabin.

This is NOT the way to handle upgrades - upgrades should be done at the gate - not in front of fellow pax - in particular when there are no operational reasons for the upgrade like a full Y or Y+ cabin but merely doing it as a favour to colleagues or friends.
Sadly, I have seen this a lot on SAS. After the "boarding complete" call is made, there come a staff member with the manifesto and starts moving 2-3 people up. I don't think that they can see the number of points that you have (thereby indicating how much you fly), but a EBG should be like any EBG... would be interesting to know how they pick people out.

Talking about Air China, I caught a domestic flight in economy this year, and before take-off, the attendents drew straws as to who would come up and speak Engligh to me... the attendent said that she saw that I have a Star Alli gold card, was happy that I chose Air China and to let her know if there was anything I wanted. An upgrade would have been nice but business was already full. At least you get soem recognition on Ait China, something that SAS should learn.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Svg-lhr

Got an upgrade from Economy to Business on an award ticket from Stavanger to London. And not even asking for one!!!

----hmmm.....maybe it does help to "know" people at SAS that recognize your name....hehe....
Oh and I`m not even an EBG.....only a depleting EBS member......ZZzzzzz
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/546; U; en))

Originally Posted by SK AAR

Has anyone contacted SAS about this? It should be standard procedure upgrading PAX based on status, but as long as they don't have any official policy regarding this there isn't much we can do whenever a purser decides to upgrade her entire familiy...
Old Aug 13, 2008, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Robbiedeluxe
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/546; U; en))

Has anyone contacted SAS about this? It should be standard procedure upgrading PAX based on status, but as long as they don't have any official policy regarding this there isn't much we can do whenever a purser decides to upgrade her entire familiy...
We certainly don't want to go down this road.. reminds me of flying with KLM. They are notorious on friends and family upgrades before any paying customers, ai a very indiscreet manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.