Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:34 am
aro

Flew CPH-EWR SK909 on Saturday. Upgraded to Plus the day before without asking. Strangely no one mentioned this, and I just noticed the new seat number.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:54 am

For those of you that commented that advance point upgrades don't usually clear, I can chip in that my upgrade request for a flight tomorrow (CPH-SFO, 40K points from Go to Business) cleared well in advance (some 45 hours prior to departure).

Previously, I have only achieved upgrades through Optiontown but I wanted to bring down my amount of bonus points so I'm quite happy that this first attempt on a point upgrade was successful.

Could I have been so lucky that there would have been an operational upgrade anyway due to overbooking?
Who knows… I'm just happy that I'm not sitting in the back of an old-cabin A340 for 11 hours
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, DL Gold
Strange, I am booked CPH-->ORD in a couple of weeks, and OT won't even give me the option to bid for an upgrade.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pdarling00
Strange, I am booked CPH-->ORD in a couple of weeks, and OT won't even give me the option to bid for an upgrade.
Are you on a points+cash or award ticket?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Originally Posted by pdarling00
Same for me, except it's ORD=>CPH. It was available a couple of weeks ago for about €360. Maybe it's because it's the LAN A340 and they have been bothered by people who feel cheated when they pay for an upgrade to plus.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: SK Diamond, DL Gold
I'm booked in B class through my company travel agency, and was trying to get an upgrade to C. Yeah I'm not particularly looking forward to flying LN-RKP again.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: SAS/A* DIAMOND/GOLD, GHA Black, HHonors Diamond
ORD-CPH

A really strange line of events with SAS last Saturday. They don't really surprise me anymore, but still; I was booked ORD-CPH in Economy. My wife and kid were booked on another ticked. I put upgrade for points requests in on us all, but they didn't go through. As we checked in, I asked again. Turned out, the economy section was full, so they had upgraded me to business as EBG. Thanks a lot, however, I'd stay with my family. (Funny thing; they had put my wife and 3-year old in different rows. Really strange, that a 3-year old could be seated by herself..)

Well, we managed to get Plus all 3, no points charged, but on different rows. Because the plane was full. When boarding was compled, around 5 or 6 seats in plus and 1 (suspect, is was the one I should've had) free in Business. So, we sat together all 3. Great.

Funniest/worst part; right before take-off, I heard the purser tell a steward "to go get him" and a man with a clearly marked "SAS crew" bag was brought from economy to business. Even though I appreciate them upgrading me, I find it hard to believe, that no other person with status was on board in the economy section? If they'd really upgraded them all already, good work SAS!

Yet another very special flight with SAS and their IT-system/boarding handling. An yet another flight with the Aeroflot-style antique 340 from ORD.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by don_hansen
A really strange line of events with SAS last Saturday. They don't really surprise me anymore, but still; I was booked ORD-CPH in Economy. My wife and kid were booked on another ticked. I put upgrade for points requests in on us all, but they didn't go through. As we checked in, I asked again. Turned out, the economy section was full, so they had upgraded me to business as EBG. Thanks a lot, however, I'd stay with my family. (Funny thing; they had put my wife and 3-year old in different rows. Really strange, that a 3-year old could be seated by herself..)

Well, we managed to get Plus all 3, no points charged, but on different rows. Because the plane was full. When boarding was compled, around 5 or 6 seats in plus and 1 (suspect, is was the one I should've had) free in Business. So, we sat together all 3. Great.

Funniest/worst part; right before take-off, I heard the purser tell a steward "to go get him" and a man with a clearly marked "SAS crew" bag was brought from economy to business. Even though I appreciate them upgrading me, I find it hard to believe, that no other person with status was on board in the economy section? If they'd really upgraded them all already, good work SAS!

Yet another very special flight with SAS and their IT-system/boarding handling. An yet another flight with the Aeroflot-style antique 340 from ORD.
Haha ... oh man. The nepotism in SAS is astounding. I was flying CPH-EWR recently in Plus, as I had to change flights and C was full (I changed with short notice, so couldn't use my EBD for anything, they said).

Anyway, had a colleague in C who reported when we got to Newark that certainly, there was someone either as a crew or an ID-ticket holder in C and wouldn't you know it, she got to use the crew immigration line as well. I find it very hard to believe that woman was on anything else but an ID ticket.

SAS could've made +10,000 DKK on selling me that C ticket. Chose not to. I really love the new Plus seats and sat next to a fantastic American lady who basically kept me entertained for 8 hours. So I didn't mind in the end, but found it ... odd to say the least.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Haha ... oh man. The nepotism in SAS is astounding. I was flying CPH-EWR recently in Plus, as I had to change flights and C was full (I changed with short notice, so couldn't use my EBD for anything, they said).

Anyway, had a colleague in C who reported when we got to Newark that certainly, there was someone either as a crew or an ID-ticket holder in C and wouldn't you know it, she got to use the crew immigration line as well. I find it very hard to believe that woman was on anything else but an ID ticket.

SAS could've made +10,000 DKK on selling me that C ticket. Chose not to. I really love the new Plus seats and sat next to a fantastic American lady who basically kept me entertained for 8 hours. So I didn't mind in the end, but found it ... odd to say the least.
There are ID tickets that are confirmed, a fair bit more expensive than the stand by ones, and thus probably less in use. But it could be one....

The seat guarantee is only for a seat, not class. And if I remember correctly you have to be in booking class C. A fairly expensive way of getting on a flight, especially if you do not end up in the business class cabin. In my experience not the most useful of guarantees on longhaul, on intra scandi it could be more useful.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Was just upgraded from Go to Plus flying ARN-ORD on a last minute award trip. Was given the upgrade at the check-in counter, which I suspected as I could not OLCI last night (supposedly as I received the dreaded SSSS) I guess that I can tolerate the extra screening if I get the op up.

I have been quite lucky as of late on long hauls. After years with no upgrades (both LH and SK), seems like I (and my EBG wife) am hitting op-ups on 50+% of my long hauls. I know it is somewhat random, but it is nice to see happening more often.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Originally Posted by livious
Was just upgraded from Go to Plus flying ARN-ORD on a last minute award trip. Was given the upgrade at the check-in counter, which I suspected as I could not OLCI last night (supposedly as I received the dreaded SSSS) I guess that I can tolerate the extra screening if I get the op up.

I have been quite lucky as of late on long hauls. After years with no upgrades (both LH and SK), seems like I (and my EBG wife) am hitting op-ups on 50+% of my long hauls. I know it is somewhat random, but it is nice to see happening more often.

I am having the same experience with almost 70% op-ups on SAS longhaul as EBG the last year. I also got upgraded at check in to Plus from Go on yesterdays ARN-ORD so pretty happy about that
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Oflyt
I am having the same experience with almost 70% op-ups on SAS longhaul as EBG the last year. I also got upgraded at check in to Plus from Go on yesterdays ARN-ORD so pretty happy about that
Looks like we were within a few rows of each other. Glad to see that SAS is doing a better job of upgrades. I was also offered an upgrade to C for only 1800SEK, which seemed cheap, but turned it down as Plus is god enough for me when heading to the US (the return is another matter).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:49 am

Looks like we were within a few rows of each other. Glad to see that SAS is doing a better job of upgrades. I was also offered a paid upgrade to C at the service desk for only 1800SEK, which seemed cheap, but turned it down as Plus is good enough for me when heading to the US (the return is another matter).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:21 pm

You're really lucky... On long haul it is 0% for me, for all 5 years flying SK long haul as SK*G and this year Diamond.

I think also do not remember a single opup on short haul in my over 300 flights with them, even though there it would not matter anyway.

Would you mind sharing the first letter of your last name?

On the other hand flying OS on Y tickets has been a guarantee for C service in the recent years

In the last Scandinavian Traveler they addressed the issue and promised changes to the way opups are handled.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by fassy
You're really lucky... On long haul it is 0% for me, for all 5 years flying SK long haul as SK*G and this year Diamond.

I think also do not remember a single opup on short haul in my over 300 flights with them, even though there it would not matter anyway.

Would you mind sharing the first letter of your last name?

On the other hand flying OS on Y tickets has been a guarantee for C service in the recent years
I fully support this story, as it's also my experience. Flown some three digit number with SK, and, for what I can recall, only got an opup once... from a comfy window seat at the emergency exit without a seat in front of me to the middle seat between the equivalent of two Scandinavian sumo wrestlers who hadn't had a shower for a few days. Otherwise, all my upgrades are either bought via OT or with EB points.

Needless to say, my last name starts with a letter somewhere near the end of the alphabet.

OS, though... OS has been kind to me by opuping me often. Same goes for TP. And LX. Not LH. LH somehow hates to opup me, as they haven't done so, despite having flown hundreds of times with them and having had a SEN card for years...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.