Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by BizflyerNorway
As there is a lot of attention on how to get upgrades, I would like to remind you all that the safest way to secure a biz seat on the plane is to buy a bizclass ticket.
Some of us work in the companies who do not use Business class when flying. Then it comes more interesting if we could get an upgrade sometimes. And of course op-up game is always a game - it is exciting.

I tried to think about this subject and sadly I haven't made any statistics but seems like I have been quite lucky actually. During the past years (except 2007) I have received upgrades when I have been EBS or EBG - both in European routes but also intercontinental. And not just few but quite many actually.

Now when coming a little bit back to Star Alliance it is interesting to see how the world looks now - maybe upgrades have become more difficult to get.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 5:09 am

Programs: SAS EBG, Qantas FF Silver
October 2007: M to C on SQ SIN-SYD. I just handed over my Economy class boarding card at the gate, the machine went "beeeeeep" and out came a Raffles Class boarding card. A great way to fly - and I fell asleep way before rotation and slept all the way home.

Airbus A340-300
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:37 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by Airbus A340-300
October 2007: M to C on SQ SIN-SYD. I just handed over my Economy class boarding card at the gate, the machine went "beeeeeep" and out came a Raffles Class boarding card. A great way to fly - and I fell asleep way before rotation and slept all the way home.

Airbus A340-300
Waow! Impressing! You should start playing Lotto as well, as the chance for winning in Lotto is bigger then getting an Op-Up with SQ. I have heard they have given denied boarding even they have available seats in C.

Was it on the A380?

BFN
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:52 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
October 2007: M to C on SQ SIN-SYD. I just handed over my Economy class boarding card at the gate, the machine went "beeeeeep" and out came a Raffles Class boarding card.
Ahh, the tell-tale beep. A sound I yearn for

I fly mostly on OV, and they don't really treate EBs well at all. I've been op-up'ed around 5% of the time, and only half those times do I think it was related to status. The other times, I was just one of the last people to check in and the P-class cabin was full.

On SK, I have been upgraded to Y+ or C 25% of the time when flying ARN-LHR or CPH-LHR on Saturday afternoons. Those flights seem to be packed quite often.

On LH, I've been upgraded to C on FRA-TLL once due to an invol rebooking and no more space on the plane. Other times on LH I've noticed that seat blocking seems to be honored for me.

I've got a CPH-IAD run scheduled in 2 months, and it's one of the first times in a few years that I've used SK across the Atlantic. Fingers crossed for an upgrade ^
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
SK
Dec 06 CPH PVG Parents and brother M-C (Comp)
Dec 06 BKK CPH Parents and brother M-Y (Comp)
Feb 07 OSL CDG GF and me M-C
Apr 07 CPH BKK GF and me Y-C (for points)
Apr 07 BKK CPH GF and me Y-C (Comp)
May 07 CPH EWR M-Y (for points)
May 07 EWR CPH MY (for points)
Dec 07 ARN OSL GF and me M-C (Comp done at OSL!)
Jan 08 SEA CPH GF and me M Y (for points)

LH
Nov 06 HAM FCO GF and me M-C

UA
Dec 07 ORD-LAX GF and me Y-F

I have except one time always been upgraded at RadissonSAS in Norway, never abroad.
Got a late check out at Park-In in Dublin because of EBG.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, Qantas FF Silver
Originally Posted by BizflyerNorway
Waow! Impressing! You should start playing Lotto as well, as the chance for winning in Lotto is bigger then getting an Op-Up with SQ. I have heard they have given denied boarding even they have available seats in C.

Was it on the A380?

BFN
No, not the A380, just the good old 747.

Cheers,

Airbus A340-300
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:17 am

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
No, not the A380, just the good old 747.

Cheers,

Airbus A340-300
I have a flight in C on A380 on Saturday. The flight is sold out exept for R-class. An upgrade would have been nice.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:59 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
I know that GOT340 got upgraded to new SQ F on CPH-SIN travelling with a C ticket. He had tears in his eyes when he got that dark red boarding card

edit: It was probably FRA-SIN

Last edited by Bjornstrom; Feb 20, 2008 at 9:06 am
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:18 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
I know that GOT340 got upgraded to SQ F on CPH-SIN travelling with a C ticket. He had tears in his eyes when he got that dark red boarding card
I thought that SQ only had C and Y on CPH-SIN?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by BHIL
I thought that SQ only had C and Y on CPH-SIN?
...and they don't fly 773ER on that route. Must have been FRA then. Im sure he can post some pics here
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold for life, BAEC GGL, Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I have been upgraded from M to C maybe 33-50% of the times when I´m flying M within Europe. I always ask at the gate, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Most of the flights however I´m already in C or Y and when I´m in Y, I don´t bother...

My latest upgrade was at LCY. I walked fast to gate when they opened and was there 2-3 minutes before everybody else, showed the KLM-guy my EBG-card and asked if it is possible for a gold card customer to get upgraded. He said that he had to ask the supervisor , then he took my BP and I sat down next to the check-in counter. Later just prior to boardiing he said that he couldn´t do it at the gate but that I could ask the purser, then he asked me to pass through the long line so I could board first of all. Onboard the plane I spoke to the purser and showed my EBG, she asked me then to sit down until everybody was on the plane, after boarding completed and counting sheeps she asked me to move to row 3, C-class treatment all the way to Stockholm... :-)

Last summer on my RTW I was upgraded on OZ MNL-ICN, on US CLT-IAD, on SK IAD-CPH (from M to C) and on SK LHR-ARN

Not successful on:
TG, ARN-BKK, BKK-MNL
OZ, ICN-JFK
US, LGA-CLT, CLT-SXM, SXM-CLT
SK, CPH-LHR
BD, LHR-DUB, DUB-LHR

Last edited by paen08; Feb 21, 2008 at 11:38 am
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61i: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10031/272; U; en))

Let me get this straight, your strategy consists of just (politely) asking for an upgrade at the gate?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold for life, BAEC GGL, Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Hello Robbiedeluxe!

Yes, I just ask at the gate, or at check-in (but I seldom use check-in at airport so...). And of course, I am always well dressed, also at leisure trips....

BR
/Patrik
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
My personal opinion is that running around showing a gold card usually only annoys the GA’s and pursers. I’m sure they are sick and tired of all these upgrade questions
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gustaf
My personal opinion is that running around showing a gold card usually only annoys the GAs and pursers. Im sure they are sick and tired of all these upgrade questions
I agree. They hear that routine every day...

On intra Scandinavian and European routes I would say I have gotten upgraded every 5-10th flight the last 10 years, mostly from LHR-OSL because of very full flights. I have only asked for an upgrade once, at OSL when my wife was in C, I asked if she could downgrade or upgrade so we could sit together, I got the upgrade.

On intercontinental flights, I'm close to 100% out of ARN, not so good at CPH (I usually have to use point, op ups maybe every 5th time). From EWR over 75% and from ORD 60% up till a year and a half ago when SAS teamed up with BMI and the staff changed a bit. Now I'm 0%, even when in paid Y....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.