Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 21, 07, 10:44 am   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Stockholm SE, London UK
Posts: 1,167
Eurobonus Silver benefits

Wanted to bring the topic of EBS benefits to the table again.
I must say that they are close to non existent, and I think it's a bit sad.
The only business benefit of this policy as I see it is that it scares people away from being downgraded to EBS from EBG...

Why not introduce a few more perks? Business lounge access when flying SK metal only at ARN, CPH and OSL for instance? But that could potentially overcrowd the lounges even worse?! I just feel that there should be something more than just business class check-in and more baggage! I don't think they even have priority on the phone line any more here in Sweden (they only mention EBG now, and waiting times are down to around 5-10 seconds now after only giving us EBG's priority!)
What other perks could there be?!

BA and BD are great where business lounge access is granted to their Silver card holders!
Point_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 10:51 am   #2
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point_Chaser View Post
Wanted to bring the topic of EBS benefits to the table again.
I must say that they are close to non existent, and I think it's a bit sad.
The only business benefit of this policy as I see it is that it scares people away from being downgraded to EBS from EBG...

Why not introduce a few more perks? Business lounge access when flying SK metal only at ARN, CPH and OSL for instance? But that could potentially overcrowd the lounges even worse?! I just feel that there should be something more than just business class check-in and more baggage! I don't think they even have priority on the phone line any more here in Sweden (they only mention EBG now, and waiting times are down to around 5-10 seconds now after only giving us EBG's priority!)
What other perks could there be?!

BA and BD are great where business lounge access is granted to their Silver card holders!
First of all, it's a lot harder to get BA Silver than EBS. BD gives access only because BA does, so it's a special market.

We had discussions with EB about EBS. One of the propositions was to give EBS X Business Lounge passes pr. year. To give EBS year long access to the Business Lounges is not a good idea IMO, there are also issues with the *A. That's why we suggested a few lounge passes a year

If there are other suggestions, I hope the members can post them.
tommy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 11:16 am   #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Stockholm SE, London UK
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
First of all, it's a lot harder to get BA Silver than EBS.
Well... Takes 10 one-way intra-European flights with BA in C...
With SK it would be 9 flights in C taking ARN-LHR as an example. For CPH-LHR it would be 13 flights in C! So I don't fully agree...
Only difference is that BA only awards tier points in business class and flexible economy, not discounted economy class. But hey, SK awards 25% right now in discounted economy, and people only travelling on those cannot gain status any more in EB (unless they travel 67 one-ways! ).

But... If SK still thinks it's too easy to get EBS, why not increase the levels and then also increase the benefits! I think that would be much more beneficial than the current system!

I think the proposition with a certain number of lounge entries would be a great start!
My points is simply that there isn't a great reason to have a status level such as EBS if there are no good benefits.
Point_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 11:47 am   #4
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; SAS EB Gold ; LH SEN ; EK Silver ; AY Silver
Posts: 1,567
it gives also 15% more points when flying on SK flight number (and perhaps SK metal is also required). With a cheap ticket, instead of getting 200 points you get 230!

on AF/KL, silver gets 50% more points on ALL Skyteam flights (at least). Those are not qualifying but that is quite a good boost to get awards a lot faster. No lounge access though but Gold is not really hard to get, it's 15 return trip Paris-London even in very cheap eco ticket @ 120 EUR each. (or 8 return trips Paris Copenhagen via Amsterdam... or 5 cheap AZ return CDG MXP FCO ATH
ranskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 12:00 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Programs: M&M FTL, AYS
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
it gives also 15% more points when flying on SK flight number (and perhaps SK metal is also required).
It requires SK *group* metal (SK, BT, KF, WF, EE). SK codeshares outside the SK group are not eligible (i.e. SK code on LH metal would not give any bonus to EBS or EBG, whereas SK code on BT metal would give).
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 12:18 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point_Chaser View Post
Well... Takes 10 one-way intra-European flights with BA in C...
With SK it would be 9 flights in C taking ARN-LHR as an example. For CPH-LHR it would be 13 flights in C! So I don't fully agree...
Only difference is that BA only awards tier points in business class and flexible economy, not discounted economy class. But hey, SK awards 25% right now in discounted economy, and people only travelling on those cannot gain status any more in EB (unless they travel 67 one-ways! ).
Most travelers who get EBS, are travelers who don't travel that much and travels Economy Class. With V class or higher it's easy to get EBS, not even possible to get BA Silver..

ranskis
also points out a very good EBS perk making it easier to retain EBS/get EBG, the 15% extra basic points.

We are working with SAS implementing these free lounge certs, we will for sure take this up with SAS next time we meet with them
tommy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 12:39 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Stockholm SE, London UK
Posts: 1,167
I did a quick research on Silver lounge access across *A, and it looks like this:

Code:
M&M (LH/LX/LO)	Yes
BD	Yes
SA	Yes
JK	Yes
TP	Yes
NH	Yes for 1000 points
NZ	Yes (one entry only, then Koru Club option)
AC	No (but can be purchased on card)
UA	No (but can be purchased on card)
US	No (but can be purchased on card)
TG	No
SQ	No
SK	No
OZ	No
So there really are quite a few *A members that now offer lounge access to their own lounges when travelling their own metal, or the option to buy a club card at discount rate.
I think NH's example of charging points is definitely interesting - could be an option!
Point_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 12:47 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point_Chaser View Post
I think NH's example of charging points is definitely interesting - could be an option!
I don't hate the idea, you are right, it might be an option.

The tradition tells me that SAS will not let in people for cash/points, the only way to get in is to be *G or pay C.

It also might be confusing for the member when he tries to enter other non SAS lounges around the globe and gets rejected.
tommy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 1:22 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Programs: CX,SPG Gold,HH Gold,Sixt Platinum,Hertz #1 Gold,AMEX Platinum (IEC&FI)
Posts: 1,784
For me the lounge access to SK lounge is just useless but I would welcome the free parking in TMP and priority treatment when possible

EBS is still allowed to check-in in the Biz check-in, right?
miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 4:10 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by miikka View Post

EBS is still allowed to check-in in the Biz check-in, right?
Yepp
tommy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 4:22 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HEL
Programs: Turkish M&S Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Silja Clubone Silver
Posts: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point_Chaser View Post
I don't think they even have priority on the phone line any more here in Sweden (they only mention EBG now, and waiting times are down to around 5-10 seconds now after only giving us EBG's priority!)
What other perks could there be?!
It is an interesting topic to bring up. I don't see why EBS can't have their phone priority anymore. When I called SAS as an EBS I would usually get an agent as soon as I had typed in my number, and it is a pity to see this nice perk reduced to EBG only now. Perhaps they could also introduce queue priority at the ticket offices?
Gnopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 4:29 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ARN
Programs: SK*G, BT VIP, TF G, SJ Blk, Avis PrClb, HH Diamond, Sixt Dmnd, Radisson Gold, BW gold
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnopps View Post
It is an interesting topic to bring up. I don't see why EBS can't have their phone priority anymore. When I called SAS as an EBS I would usually get an agent as soon as I had typed in my number, and it is a pity to see this nice perk reduced to EBG only now. Perhaps they could also introduce queue priority at the ticket offices?
I think they should give EBGs their own number - typically the option to enter your EBG number doesn´t come up even if the waiting time is above acceptable.
I admit that the service is fine once you get the option to enter the number, you always get an agent immediately.
__________________
.
SK_RSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 07, 11:43 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: heaps...
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
I don't hate the idea, you are right, it might be an option.
yes lets give SK IT something new to work on, since all other SK IT systems are working perfectly fine
movingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 07, 11:55 am   #14
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Oslo,Norway
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingalong View Post
since all other SK IT systems are working perfectly fine

You're kidding!
OSLflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 07, 5:54 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSLflyer View Post
You're kidding!
I'm sure he was... The way we upgrade at the gate now is impressive: You give them your EB number, they fill out a form and call EB to see if you have enough points in your account, you sign and you are upgraded.

Can't get more manual than that
tommy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 am.