Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Newbie question from an *Gold member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC

I'm gonna fly SAS economy from ORD to ARN during the last week of November. As an *Alliance Gold member, how likely would I be put on a front seat of the economy section? Can I use my UA points to get upgraded to Economy Extra (I'm booked on S class)?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Originally Posted by ktjan
I'm gonna fly SAS economy from ORD to ARN during the last week of November. As an *Alliance Gold member, how likely would I be put on a front seat of the economy section? Can I use my UA points to get upgraded to Economy Extra (I'm booked on S class)?
Check in as early as possible online to get row 21. That is the only way. They are blocked up until web checkin opens.

You can not upgrade for UA points. You can hope for an op-up though, or maybe buy-up at the airport.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:46 am
AHO

Originally Posted by ktjan
Can I use my UA points to get upgraded to Economy Extra (I'm booked on S class)?
IIRC, Y and S classes on SAS flight are Economy Extra. So if you are booked on S class, you'll be Economy Extra.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Well this is a UA codeshared flight (UA CHI-->STO SKSPY7E fare) so I'm not sure if it is an economy extra seat though.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:53 am

Programs: UA *G MM
The UA S fare translates to an SK W fare = only 25% points awarded. I booked a flight with SK yesterday and the IAD-CPH part was W while the return via FRA was UA S fare. (21 J on the 777 was open so I could suffer this.)

But then I told them to price the SK segment to V and it did not cost much more (<$100). I think if you buy from UA then it doesn't have the same flexibility in getting a mileage earning SK segment. So I would buy any flights with SK segments from SAS. Also UA is utterly incompetent in dealing with SK connecting flights.

p.s. I decided not to buy the ticket because of the Oct 28 strike risk. Also, the upgrade situation to Y+ didn't look that great.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
The UA S fare translates to an SK W fare = only 25% points awarded.
Is there a conversion table or similar available?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by view
Is there a conversion table or similar available?
If you book a UA ticket with fare class S, you'll get 25% miles, even if the flight is operated by SAS.
Not sure exactly what every UA fare class converts to in the SAS system, but here's the table for UA flights: http://www.scandinavian.net/EC/Appl/...253DUS,00.html
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Vunder31
If you book a UA ticket with fare class S, you'll get 25% miles, even if the flight is operated by SAS.
[/url]
Just to clarify: The OP is a 1K member, not a SK*G, so the only airline he won't get 100% miles on, is SK..... On UA/US/LH/AC, he will get 100% MP miles, no matter the booking class. (He's a 1K, so of course he knows that ) But it's true what the other posters say: You will only receive 25% EQMs in this booking class, so if you are not ticketed yet, do what gnaget said and change it to V if you want the miles/EQMs.

To answer his question: Uniteds S fare will put you in the economy section, but you can always buy a one way upgrade til Economy Extra for USD 250, if available (try and get the bulkhead 2 seater!!, row 14). If you can afford it, an upgrade to C is USD 450. It's worth it, IMO. That's a fixed price, not like UA has where they change the prices for C upgrades.

An op-up is option number 2, but don't hold your breath. SK doesn't know what a 1K is... They first upgrade EBGs, then *gold
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:49 pm

And btw, there's no divider between the economy section and economy extra on this aircraft, so it's not really a bulkhead seat. Row 31 is by the emergency exit, endless legroom, but the area can get congested because of the bathrooms. Also, the 4 seater in row 31, is the only place they can put a cradle

The first 2 rows in the economy section is blocked and row 31 is blocked until the departure date, so you may have a good shot at one of those seats if you get to the airport early.

Good luck!
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help! Just confirmed with SK that it's indeed a W fare (25% EQM). I think I'm gonna pay $250 to get upgraded to an Extra seat.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just a comment on the S fare bucket on SK operated UA coded flights: I've seen S class availability on UA flights numbers when SK was sold out in all 'cheap' HQVWK classes. So while it sucks to get 25% miles in US S fares, it is still a good bet if you are looking to find a short term cheap fare. When The lower classes are sold out your upgrade changes are way better anyway! I found a 751$ all incl DTW-ORD-ARN-FRA-DTW fare over labour day weekend this year just 7 days ahead. SK and LH were sold out solid, so op-upgrades would have been assured with the UA S fare. Sadly the GF didn't agree for me showing up for only 2 1/2 days in sthlm, so the plan got nixed.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by kjsaw
Check in as early as possible online to get row 21. That is the only way. They are blocked up until web checkin opens.
Web checkin ORD-ARN? Is that really possible? Have I missed a secret feature? I would love to OLCI when going Scandinavia-US or US-Scandinavia on SK.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by tourist
Web checkin ORD-ARN? Is that really possible? Have I missed a secret feature? I would love to OLCI when going Scandinavia-US or US-Scandinavia on SK.
No web check in from ORD... But you can check in at the airport early
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by tourist
Scandinavia-US you can change your seat and type in the US address for API using OLCI. That saves some time. Sadly 1A (sometimes 1H) and 8A/H are always under gate control, so no can do.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
No web check in from ORD... But you can check in at the airport early
If you checkin early for ORD-ARN you have to sweat it out with the masses in the lounge waiting for the BD flights. Its almost as bad as the crowded lounge in EWR every afternoon with LH and SK (4 full flights) C pax rubbing shoulders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.