Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The CP is a decent business hotel, but nothing much else. I did stay there.

There has been a visible improvement in Copenhagen lately. But the road to international luxury hotels is still very long. And neither Nimb nor D'Angleterre are even close to that. Stay at am RC on club level and see the difference.
Maybe we didn't have any expectation to start with, so it was definitely much better than we expected

Yes we can feel that Danes are more serviced minded - compared to Sweden. We were "shocked" by cashier greetings like "Hi" and "Continue to have a good day" when we were checking out at Brugsen, or with super helpful staff in various kommunes.

The Ren in Sweden is better than Marriott CPH - they thought Mr. was a returning customer although it was his first time there.

Our impression of Swedish service has declined, we got worse service in supermarkets, shops, and car workshops too - to the extent that we are considering getting our car fixed in Denmark (we already paid for our service package in Germany for one of our cars)!

Got the besiktning done - got a paper telling me what to fix - asked several workshops and they insist on doing a diagnose that costs 1500 SEK. I had a picture of the paper from besiktning to show them what exactly needed to be fix - attached to the email.

Also we feel that the Swedes don't really bother with their job - lack of professionalism.

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
That's when we'll build a wall and make Guatamexirica pay for it.
You need an executive order to kick them out too

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Only the Chinese have a problem with that. Hong Kong even changed the rules to avoid it...
Yes when you are talking about 140000 of them in a tiny place, more and more public places become their gathering places. Macau used to spit out PR to them but they stopped because they realised the problem.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
The problem is that you apparently find it acceptable that staff has a say in these matters? That is the fundamental issue today, Scandinavian staff thinking they get to have an opinion what service is or is not or is provided sub-par.

Bring in international managers, get them to educate staff and fire those not following the instructions from their employer. It is nothing but absurd that staff engaged in what is largely unskilled labour have these kind of ideas.

At some point people have to eat and something needs to pay the bills. Sticking to an outdated model that is forcing things to get worse or (local) companies out of business because they can't compete, is clearly not a good strategy. The "Nordic Model" of overpaying low-/unskilled labour and underpaying highly skilled jobs and then taxing the hell out of them is what needs changing. Creating such an artificial system in an increasingly global economy is going to put Scandinavian companies out of business and is just going to stimulate the existing "braindrain" even further.
I don't think you can do that easily because it is their culture - it's difficult to change it because it's built into their education - if they show no respect to their teachers when they are young, do you think they will respect and listen to their managers?

Also if they don't get paid, they can go on benefits and they can get help from local authorities to get free housing, furniture etc.

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
This is what annoys me the most (apart from the taxes) the complete lack of service culture in the three Scandinavian capitals. In hotels, in restaurants and in stores. Sidenote: Had a terribel shopping experience in the danish shop Inspiration together with my daugther last weekend. For once I actually made the effort to write to them about the experience. It took them 5 ( FIVE) days to reply - that simply stated they will look into it!!!

I do however find that once you venture away from the three capitals - and especially to the smaller cities they go out the way for you. So maybe it is "big" city Scandinavia thingy?
Tried a Kop og Kande in a tiny village in Southern Denmark, wow that owner was bad - wanted to exchange a gift with a exchange label on, and he said, 'you can't do that because I don't see this thing in my shop'.

Originally Posted by ksu
Globalization is certainly a challenge to this model, but it is a fact that many jobs (education, health care, transportation, police...) are local in nature, including the ones we are discussing now. It doesn't help that hotel work force is cheap in Bangkok if the guest wants to stay in a hotel in Copenhagen (unless you want to introduce Qatari-style work camps and work practice for ex-pat workers in Scandinavia!).
Not even that - those who came from abroad will adopt the Scandinavian style of working attitude when they have worked here for a while. They know they are not rewarded for taking the extra mile, in fact they will be criticized by others because they are standing out.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ksu
Many Norwegian newspapers ran this from NTB today, stating that the average chief executive in Norway earns 11 times as much as the average employee in Norway (5,8 Mill NOK vs 519.000 NOK), which is certainly less than in the US in 2014 301-to- 1 , but comparable to the 20-to-1 of the US in 1965.
Being 50 years behind the rest of the world sounds about right.

In terms of good news and the unusual credit for SK from my side. Absolute credits to the gate staff of SK1416 today who enforced priority boarding to perfection. I have never seen this before in ARN and the gate lady didn't blush a second when sending people back that where not eligible for boarding. We'll see if this was a one-off or a change on SK's end, but this was a major improvement. It was very entertaining and appropriate to see her grab the intercom twice to ask people who where not eligible for priority boarding to step back and those who tried where send back without shredding the slightest emotion.

While the boarding process was enforced as advertised, as it should, she also let the priority boarding passengers finish their embarkation instead of announcing priority boarding and regular boarding in the same sentence, which is usually the case at ARN. The 15-20 or so Swedes without priority who found themselves entitled to board first because they queued first (I still don't get this reasoning), where told to back off with clear and concise instructions.

Its promising to see that it can be done and that staff have absolutely no problem executing procedures as intended.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:59 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Being 50 years behind the rest of the world sounds about right.
50 years behind the US under its current president, you mean?

I rest my case!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ksu
50 years behind the US under its current president, you mean?

I rest my case!
Yeah, what a shame globalists didn't win the election, amirite u guise? I mean, I too can sit in Village 34, Norway, and be smug about things!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Talking Well done SAS

I was a little late leaving the office and then the train was delayed for 25 minutes last week, making me arrive at the gate after the 20-minute cut-off at a German airport. The gate sign was already turned off and I politely accepted when the gate agent told me "Nein, nicht möglich". However after a little while she tried and managed to get me on the plane! Don't know if it was that I was in SK plus, if it was the *A goldcard or perhaps nothing of those but I was sooo happy to be on the plane. It was the last flight for me to be able to make it home to my daughter's birthday. So a big thank you to the ground crew!

I sent my compliments through the feedback form but I've heard at two separate occasions where I met staff again, that I had previously complimented, that they never heard anything about it - let's hope SAS is better at forwarding compliments now :-)
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Gnopps
I was a little late leaving the office and then the train was delayed for 25 minutes last week, making me arrive at the gate after the 20-minute cut-off at a German airport. The gate sign was already turned off and I politely accepted when the gate agent told me "Nein, nicht möglich". However after a little while she tried and managed to get me on the plane! Don't know if it was that I was in SK plus, if it was the *A goldcard or perhaps nothing of those but I was sooo happy to be on the plane. It was the last flight for me to be able to make it home to my daughter's birthday. So a big thank you to the ground crew!

I sent my compliments through the feedback form but I've heard at two separate occasions where I met staff again, that I had previously complimented, that they never heard anything about it - let's hope SAS is better at forwarding compliments now :-)
Nice story. I once missed my daughter's birthday - and I still hear for it
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gnopps

Congrats on being a dad. A first birthday?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by helosc
I was downgraded to Silver at the end of December.
I'm on a Plus ticket today.
Funnily enough my boarding pass says Gold so I went into the gold lounge without a problem.
Nice one - then I can have a glass of wine with my lunch....
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It might not be a long term effect... But will look forward to hear how long after the bookings remain unupdated....
Originally Posted by helosc
Well, no long term effect....
My boarding pass for my return flight today (MUC-CPH) shows Silver so no Senator lounge for me.
I am now in CPH and just noticed that my boarding pass still show Gold.
Funny that my status was updated in MUC last month but still not here in CPH.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, EBS, HH Silver
Live, from the SAS lounge in ARN. Breakfast is pretty good although limited to cold options + soup only.

Von Schnitzelhausen
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Congrats on being a dad. A first birthday?
No, but remembering my own birthdays as a child it was important for me to have both parents present. I'm going to the same airport in a week and thought I'd buy some tax-free chocolate and ask whomever is at the gate to forward to the helpful agent.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Question to the experts:

On April 22 I will be traveling back from ARN after finishing a rather inexpensive LH premium economy ticket. My options are:

Fly back with the aircraft I came in on for 238€

Fly back two hours later on a SK 737 after two hours in the ARN lounge (well known) for 132€:
Code:
1 SK2659 Y 22APR 6 ARNMUC HK1 1310 5 1340 1550 73W E 0 M
SEE RTSVC
>fxa
FXA

* FARE BASIS * DISC * PSGR * FARE<EUR> * MSG *T
06 BSOSAVER * * P1 * 179.09 * *Y
07 KSEOWM * * P1 * 144.34 * *Y
08 KSOLIGHT * * P1 * 132.34 * *Y
*8*TICKET STOCK RESTRICTION
FARE FAMILIES: (ENTER FQFn FOR DETAILS, FXY FOR UPSELL)
*6*FARE FAMILIES: PLUSSAVER
*8*FARE FAMILIES: GOLIGHT
Fly via OSL cheaply in A (138€) or O (62€) but spend ages in the OSL lounge (which I sadly know very well):
Code:
1 SK 849 A 22APR 6 ARNOSL HK1 1115 5 1145 1240 73G E 0 S
SEE RTSVC
2 SK4759 A 22APR 6 OSLMUC HK1 1550 1635 1850 73G E 0 M
SEE RTSVC
>fxa
FXA

* FARE BASIS * DISC * PSGR * FARE<EUR> * MSG *T
01 ASEOWY * * P1 * 165.72 * *Y
02 ASOSAVER * * P1 * 138.72 * *Y
03 OSEOWM * * P1 * 75.73 * *Y
04 OSOLIGHT * * P1 * 62.73 * *Y
AIRPORT FARES MAY APPLY AT : TRF /
*4*TICKET STOCK RESTRICTION
FARE FAMILIES: (ENTER FQFn FOR DETAILS, FXY FOR UPSELL)
*1*FARE FAMILIES: PLUS
*2*FARE FAMILIES: PLUSSAVER
*3*FARE FAMILIES: GO
*4*FARE FAMILIES: GOLIGHT
What would you suggest?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
What are you trying to achieve?

Even for points I wouldn't voluntarily visit OSL, the ARN lounge isn't worthwhile for more than 10 minutes at a time. So for a generic advice without knowing what you're trying to achieve, I'd recommend returning on the same aircraft. Even more so if it is corporate travel.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:21 am

I'm guessing it's not corporate travel (since it involves positioning), so with own wallet I would take the direct SK flight two hours later and save a hundred Euros, while getting back home from longhaul travel 3 hours earlier than the OSL option.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
What would you suggest?
Fly back via CPH and meet me in the lounge there (likely 13-15) .

I guess the question is if you really need the extra points to re-qualify for SEN. If so, the extra points and cheaper fares are within reason. If you have the points booked to re-qualify, I would pay a bit more and come home sooner. Neither the ARN or OSL lounge are worth spending more time than needed...although it depends what work the wife has for you at home

Edit: I assume that you are flying MUC-ARN as your last segment. Why not just skip the last segment and stay in MUC?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
OK, this is a PE E fare that earns plenty of miles. I'm vacationing in Florida with the family and need to actually fly the last segment for the miles (full Y) and mainly because skipping the segment will get me and the TA who issued the ticket into trouble. LH audits this nowadays and get rather nasty with automatic love/debit notes.

The ARN turn is planned a day after I return, so I'm flying IAD-MUC on Thursday night and kept the Saturday for flying the last segment. Family will be otherwise occupied catching up on jetlag, being cranky and tired, so my absence will not be significantly noted.

Mileage wise I'm roughly OK, the extra 1500 status miles are not absolutely required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.