Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

QF/OZ Flight - *A Point Earning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Silver

I am flying CBR - SYD - ICN and return in October/November. This itinerary is QF from CBR-SYD then OZ SYD-ICN (both directions). I am QF Silver/OW Ruby, but SK Diamond/*A Gold. As earning is all about which metal the flight is done with, can anyone advise whether as the SYD-ICN sectors are with OZ metal, but QF code share I can register the CBR-SYD sectors to my QF account and the SYD-ICN sectors to my SK account, so I can not just direct the points where I want them, but use the *A lounges at SYD and ICN? If this is possible can anyone let me know how to do this within the travel process. I normally always book myself and book *A for intercontinental and QF for flights within Australia (using separate tickets), so always have my FF numbers in the right system, but this travel is for business and the South Korea TA insisted on booking the whole lot through QF despite my protestations. This ticket is on QF stock booked in Economy (S). I don't have a problem with QF, but I am only in CBR til April and QF points are useless to me back in the UK (I never fly BA) as I go everywhere with SK, LH, SQ, TG, NH and UA. Thanks for any help or pointers offered.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

whether you are booked on a code share or not is something that you can check on your ticket

If you are on a QF codeshare, will your star alliance member's scheme allow earning at all?

The easiest way to handle this would seem to be to just not put an FF number in the booking, but claim after having completed the flights
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Sorry I thought I'd made that clear, but I was trying to condense a lot of information. QF 367/368 are definitely code shares with OZ (OZ602/601 I believe), as QF has opted out of flying it's own planes to ICN (who can blame them, OZ and KE along with 7C, LJ, TW and all the others make ICN and GMP a ferocious market), so the metal definitely OZ's. In the world of SK and Eurobonus it is metal that counts when it comes to points earning so theoretically it should be possible. Alas the TA had both my FF numbers and already added my QF number to the booking.

Last edited by winstanleyc; Sep 13, 2017 at 4:14 am Reason: incorrect information so requiring edit
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:27 am

I would suggest removing the Qantas number from the booking and then putting claims to Qantas and SAS afterwards. You could try changing the FF number when in Sydney, but I wouldn't risk it since you could still end up having it credit to Qantas

Looking at the Eurobonus page for code shares ( https://www.flysas.com/en/uk/eurobon...es/code-share/ )

Originally Posted by SAS
If a member purchases a ticket on a flight that is marketed by SAS or Star Alliance but operated by another airline (i.e. code share flight) the operating airline determines if and how many points the member earns for the flight
I would confirm whether a non Star Alliance codeshare is eligibile for earning to SAS - if it is ineligible, might as well credit to QF or AA
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
*A is all about metal. If it's OZ aircraft it will earn according to OZ chart (mapped RBD) no matter what code it was sold under.

OW on the other hand is all about code - OW programs typically (though not always) will earn based on marketing carrier chart, in this case QF.

So it's highly likely your QF coded OZ flight can be credited to either a OW or a *A program
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
*A is all about metal. If it's OZ aircraft it will earn according to OZ chart (mapped RBD) no matter what code it was sold under.

OW on the other hand is all about code - OW programs typically (though not always) will earn based on marketing carrier chart, in this case QF.

So it's highly likely your QF coded OZ flight can be credited to either a OW or a *A program
It depends upon the OW program but for QFF if the flight has an eligible fare code and the flight is marketed as a QF code, you will earn QFF points regardless of the operating carrier.
For other OW programmes you need to look at the T&C about this situation and it is up to the passenger to do this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
Not according to the Eurobonus website page - it indicates ( as posted ) that Star Alliance codeshare flights are eligible for mileage accrual - it does not indicate that other codeshare flights are eligibile for mileage accrual to Eurobonus

If ineligible for credit, it matters not how credit is calculated

This is, however, a question that would best be posed on Eurobonus page - it was simply advice to verify that it would be eligible to be accrued

As far as an earning method goes, I would still recommend that if it can be credited to Eurobonus, that the passenger ensures that no FF number is in the booking and to simply request credit after completion of travel
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you to Dave Noble and others for the advice - can the moderator move this thread to the SAS-Eurobonus forum? I was debating where to post this in the first place, but as Dave Noble suggests it appears it would be best there.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:25 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by winstanleyc
Thank you to Dave Noble and others for the advice - can the moderator move this thread to the SAS-Eurobonus forum? I was debating where to post this in the first place, but as Dave Noble suggests it appears it would be best there.
[mod hat] Will do! [/mod hat]
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The codeshare flights show the flight number of the operating carrier on the boarding pass, you may get a small note saying sold as QFXXX. This is not always consistent.

I see no reason why you should not be able to credit to SK and use the status to get lounge access. Your challenge will be if you want to credit to QF and use the lounges. That will probably not happen.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:13 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
SK have been pretty good at crediting *A operated flights sold with non *A flight numbers. Done so on the SN/TF codeshare in the past with no issues. In those cases other *A programs denied credit too.

Note the QF/OZ flight is a bit more of a hardcore codeshare, OZ has physcially blocked off 30Y/4J seats for QF passengers. These seats do not even appear as seats on the OZ flight. This should not affect earning on SK though.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:30 am

Did quite a lot of LX segments on CX tickets and Never had any issues crediting the LX segments to SK and the CX segments to BA.

also Lounge Access worked with *G for the LX flights.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the further advice - I remembered reading on here some of you doing similar splitting of point accrual between different ff programmes in the same or similar circumstances - Does anyone have advice on how and when to get ff details out of a booking. I will be transiting quickly through SYD on the way after having done the first QF sector, and I know SYD has an OZ ticketing counter - should I ask the OZ staff to remove the QF details from the booking and add my SK details? I am loathe to try and do this at the gate because thats always very pressured.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by winstanleyc
Thank you for the further advice - I remembered reading on here some of you doing similar splitting of point accrual between different ff programmes in the same or similar circumstances - Does anyone have advice on how and when to get ff details out of a booking. I will be transiting quickly through SYD on the way after having done the first QF sector, and I know SYD has an OZ ticketing counter - should I ask the OZ staff to remove the QF details from the booking and add my SK details? I am loathe to try and do this at the gate because thats always very pressured.
If OZ has a rep in the Air NZ Lounge, you could ask there. Can't remember, I know UA and Thai usually have staff in the lounge to assist their own passengers.

I have never noticed Asiana, but that might just mean they are less loud than the UA staff, or I have not been there at OZ departure time.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:44 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Never had an OZ rep in the NZ lounge.

Best is to remove any FF number totally from the booking and retroclaim with the relevant carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.