Wiki Posts
Search

BHX Passports Check?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
BHX Passports Check?

Flying from the US to BHX on UA and connecting to SK to go BHX-CPH. Will already have bp from UA. Does SK still check passports at BHX at the gate? Want to figure if I can stow it deeper in my bag once customs looks at it (if they even do since I'm transiting)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Great Britain is not part of the Schengen zone. So yes, you need to show your passport.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:27 am

You will have to go through both immigration and security before heading to your new departure gate (I'm assuming you'll be connecting to the 10:05AM service to CPH, which would give you plenty of time anyway), where your passport will again be checked during boarding.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Sep 4, 2017 at 2:30 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
You will have to go through both immigration and security before heading to your new departure gate (I'm assuming you'll be connecting to the 10:05AM service to CPH, which would give you plenty of time anyway), where your passport will again be checked during boarding.

G
Does the UK do immigration check for transit passengers? My limited experience says no, but it is at BHX speciality?

Arrival in Copenhagen will require a passport check from the UK.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Want to figure if I can stow it deeper in my bag once customs looks at it (if they even do since I'm transiting)
Keep your passport on your person while flying.

I'd never bury mine deep in a bag en route. Especially knowing I'll need it for immigration once I arrive at the destination. But even beyond that, I like knowing it (and my mobile phone) is in my pocket in case of an emergency.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Does the UK do immigration check for transit passengers? My limited experience says no, but it is at BHX speciality?

Arrival in Copenhagen will require a passport check from the UK.
I'm guessing it is all down to the airport's layout as passengers connecting from Scotland/Northern Ireland/Isle of Man can indeed proceed to the other side of the terminal (from the former BA's Eurohub terminal) without having to clear security. In short: arriving from an international flight at BHX, you have basically no choice but to proceed to immigration, exit through the baggage hall and walk back upstairs to departures via security at either side (main entrance or NEC). I'll be arriving from MUC tomorrow and will pay attention to any alternative route but, as the official website states, there doesn't seem to be any.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Sep 4, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'm guessing it is all down to the airport's layout as passengers connecting from Scotland/Northern Ireland/Isle of Man can indeed proceed to the other side of the terminal (from the former BA's Eurohub terminal) without having to clear security. In short: arriving from an international flight at BHX, you have basically no choice but to proceed to immigration, exit through the baggage hall and walk back upstairs to departures via security at either side (main entrance or NEC). I'll be arriving from MUC tomorrow and will pay attention to any alternative route but, as the official website states, there doesn't seem to be any.

G
It seems the layout was not made with international connections in mind. I would not expect BHX to be a big transit point anyway, so probably not worth the investment. Just a bit surprised.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
UA has a habit of selling connections anywhere they can and fly regardless of wether the airport is equipped for it or not. I've seen a number of folks end up with BHX and EDI transfers over the years simply because they are sold cheap as it helps UA fill up their planes.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:37 am

Just a brief follow-up to my previous post, this is what you will see as soon as you're off the aircraft and enter the terminal building (picture taken this morning), so to confirm there's no way to go upstairs to the departure lounge without clearing immigration (and exiting the arrival area basically before heading to departures upstairs and clear security).

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; May 16, 2019 at 6:44 am
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just a brief follow-up to my previous post, this is what you will see as soon as you're off the aircraft and enter the terminal building (picture taken this morning),
Unfortunately Photobucket no longer allows sharing photos on sites like FT unless you pay $$$ to upgrade your account.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Unfortunately Photobucket no longer allows sharing photos on sites like FT unless you pay $$$ to upgrade your account.
Thanks @sbm12 ^

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.