Wiki Posts
Search

SK MC Premium in DK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
SK MC Premium in DK

I noticed today that there are changes in the offered credit card services in DK:

https://saseurobonusmastercard.dk/ko...rcard-premium/

What I noticed:

* Point earnings on the old MC are increased to 10/15/20 points per 100kr spent in domestic purchase/international purchase/SK ticket purchase. This is good give that AFAIR recently DC went down to 10 points per purchase on all purchases

* Exchange commission is being increased to 2% on all currencies (also European, where it was 1.5% so far). This applies both to the regular and the premium card. The change for regular cards is starting September. The SK DC card for comparison had 2% commission for a long time now.

* Point earnings on the MC premium are 15/20/25 respectively per 100kr spent

* If you earn sufficiently much you get a free travel class upgrade for all your bonus travels, includes your companion (but seems to apply only to usual bonus tickets, which I am not using; and I almost never choose to buy my awards on SK anyways)

* You get 1000 basic points (no extra points) for each month of using the premium card. This is interesting, as it effectively lowers your requalification treshold by 12000.

* The card costs 750kr for EBD, and 1500 for others (AFAIR)

Personally, I find increased point earnings + the lower re-qualification bonus worth considering. I estimated that they are roughly worth the 750kr. Others will find the half-point-price for business awards interesting. These could potentially be worth much more if you are using these.

I was considering ditching my SK DC for months now. The only good thing with it is the odd access to a diners lounge when flying on other airlines. I use it about 5 times a year, but could probably reduce to 3 if I was trying to be reasonable about it (avoid visits below 10 minutes...). The increased earning on the MC Premium essentially convinces me that there is no reason to keep the DC card. One piece of plastic less in the wallet from today.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by wazow
* If you earn sufficiently much you get a free travel class upgrade for all your bonus travels, includes your companion (but seems to apply only to usual bonus tickets, which I am not using; and I almost never choose to buy my awards on SK anyways)
Was is the spending threshold? And, it is one class up? So from Go to Plus and from Plus to Business? Does there need to be award inventory in the higher class or the booked class?

Still far away from the AMEX in SE or NO but a good start for DK residents.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Was is the spending threshold? And, it is one class up? So from Go to Plus and from Plus to Business? Does there need to be award inventory in the higher class or the booked class?
The presentation was very confusing to me initially, but I think I got it

https://saseurobonusmastercard.dk/ko...e/fly-premium/

It appears so that until you earn 50K points you are allowed to buy one return award trip in GO in Scandinavia, and you will be given a PLUS ticket. I believe this includes a companion. But practice will show

With earning between 50-100K you get unlimited upgrades to PLUS (on award trips only ) in Europe (so short haul).

With earnings between 100K and 200K this privilige is extended to all trips (also long haul).

And above 200K earned you get an award ticket in C for the price of GO.

There was also some small print about computing the tier level every month based on the 12 months. It seems that the earning in EB matters, not the earning on the card. However, the product is complex, perhaps needlessly so, thus I wouldn't be surprised if the communication folks misunderstood it (or that I myself misunderstood it).
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I would like to see them offer an alternative to this reward upgrade style and AMEX 241 reward for the category of frequent flyers that doesn't use their points on reward tickets.

Or in short, either provide upgrade vouchers or let people apply those perks to revenue tickets.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I agree. This is also my main issue, which makes this card not a "wow" but marginally interesting. It seems to basically earn what it costs to me, as I don't intend to use the award tickets functionality. I don't (or don't want to) rack up enough points for this functionality to make sense. I am actually trying actively to fly as little as possible
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It also states very clearly that churning card is not allowed:

Hvis det kan sandsynliggøres at en række af transaktioner er uden reelt indhold og hovedsageligt er gennemført med det formål at optjene EuroBonus point, er kortudsteder berettiget til at se bort fra transaktionen ved tilskrivning af bonus point.
Never seen this before.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Are there any reasonable churning schemes in Scandinavia? (Never occurred to me that this would even be possible)
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
We also got the mail in Skåne, so this also appears to be an offer for SE residents. Conditions seem to be the same, but there is an earnings cap on the non-premium card at 200kkr.

Last edited by livious; Jun 4, 2017 at 2:02 am
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by wazow
The presentation was very confusing to me initially, but I think I got it

https://saseurobonusmastercard.dk/ko...e/fly-premium/

It appears so that until you earn 50K points you are allowed to buy one return award trip in GO in Scandinavia, and you will be given a PLUS ticket. I believe this includes a companion. But practice will show

With earning between 50-100K you get unlimited upgrades to PLUS (on award trips only ) in Europe (so short haul).

With earnings between 100K and 200K this privilige is extended to all trips (also long haul).

And above 200K earned you get an award ticket in C for the price of GO.

There was also some small print about computing the tier level every month based on the 12 months. It seems that the earning in EB matters, not the earning on the card. However, the product is complex, perhaps needlessly so, thus I wouldn't be surprised if the communication folks misunderstood it (or that I myself misunderstood it).
It was not clear to me at first, but the earnings are not in DKK or SEK, but rather in points earned in the past 12 months. Hard to calculate the spend needed to reach the upgrade perk if points earned flying are also included...and the earning rate depends on which currency you shop. If you only earn points using the Premium Card in Sweden (15kr/100SEk), you would have to spend 1.3+MSEK to trigger the bonus...yikes!

With that being said, it only states that the threshold is based on points earned in the past 12 months. I take this to be all points earned regardless of activity. If that is true, points earned on my AMEX would also qualify. I have trouble accepting this, but it starts to lead into double dip possibilities. In worst case the Premium Card costs 1500kr for 12000 Basic points, plus equivalent earnings to my AMEX. Cheaper than the AMEX Premium if you need Basic points, seemingly much worse when it comes to the bonus threshold (i.e. 2-4-1 or upgrade).

A few other musings...
(1)The upgrade does not specify 1 companion, but travel companions. This could be interesting for families if award space is open.
(2) No mention of the time frame to use the upgrade perk. They must have taken lessons from AMEX on being unclear
(3) If booking the upgrade is on SAS, it could be possible (albeit unlikely) to use a 2-4-1 as well. Not sure if that is beneficial, but it could lead to interedting possibilities with SAS IT
(3) Whomever wrote the pamphlet does not travel much on SAS or care to be cleareleased on the rules.

Last edited by livious; Jun 4, 2017 at 2:09 am
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by nacho
It also states very clearly that churning card is not allowed:

Quote:
Hvis det kan sandsynliggøres at en række af transaktioner er uden reelt indhold og hovedsageligt er gennemført med det formål at optjene EuroBonus point, er kortudsteder berettiget til at se bort fra transaktionen ved tilskrivning af bonus point.

Never seen this before.
Where did you find this?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by livious
We also got the mail in Skåne, so this also appears to be an offer for SE residents. Conditions seem to be the same, but there is an earnings cap on the non-premium card at 200kkr.
I have seen that cap on the regular card in DK as well. So this is the same between DK and SE.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Where did you find this?
https://saseurobonusmastercard.dk/ko...ammenlign-kort

Scroll down all the way down to vilkår. It looks like they will crack down on card churning regardless of which card you have.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Got it up here in Stockholm as well. Details can be seen here: https://saseurobonusmastercard.se/ko...rcard-premium/

Originally Posted by livious
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Seems to be a devaluation of the existing card; non-free for gold/silver (395 SEK/y), max earnings of 200K points per year.

1495/y for premium. Some value if you book SAS awards, otherwise not that interesting.

I wonder if the Coop medmera card might now be a better option then the standard EBMC.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by kjsaw
Seems to be a devaluation of the existing card; non-free for gold/silver (395 SEK/y), max earnings of 200K points per year.

1495/y for premium. Some value if you book SAS awards, otherwise not that interesting.
You forgot the up to 12k basic points per year you would get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.