Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Increased price for point upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD

As of today, SAS has raised the point price for stand by upgrades. Found out as I wanted to upgrade Mrs. Alpha to ‘my’ cabin.

M to Y is now 25.000 points (was 15.000), Y to C is 35.000 (was 25.000). According to the lounge dragon here at CPH, the price from M to C is also raised 10.000 – should mean 50.000 points. The latter sounds a bit strange, as it means a ‘discount’.

While the price increase is pitiful, what really provokes me is the total, usual non-communication from SAS. No warning, no information what so ever. And I can’t find an updated price table anywhere on SAS website. Even the lounge people were only informed today.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:03 am

Why do you think M to C for 50.000 is a discount? It was 40.000 before?

btw, 40.000 was already pretty expensive. They raised it by 10.000 like two years ago. I remember upgrading ORD-CPH from M to C for 30.000.

paying a quite expensive Go fare and then Have to pay 50.000 for an upgrade to C is robbery.

They should at least differentiate based on the price of the paid fare.

Last edited by fassy; Apr 11, 2017 at 5:10 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Why do you think M to C for 50.000 is a discount? It was 40.000 before?

Before the full upgrade was M>Y + Y>C ( 15.000+25.000).

Now it is (seemingly) not the sum of the two upgrades, which would have been 60.000. So a ‘discount’ of 10.000 if the old principle was the case.

Which also means the increase in percent is huge from M to Y, while it is moderate all the way.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
That really sucks!!!

I am guessing all my plusgrade bids on points will also suffer based on this...

50k is Alot in my opinion for a upgrade with SK, I certainly wont be upgrading at these prices stand by!

Why do I have a sinking feeling I made a poor decision to return to sK
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Funny by the way how they manage to implement these bad changes but cannot get the family pooling or lifetime gold done
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Before the full upgrade was M>Y + Y>C ( 15.000+25.000).

Now it is (seemingly) not the sum of the two upgrades, which would have been 60.000. So a ‘discount’ of 10.000 if the old principle was the case.

Which also means the increase in percent is huge from M to Y, while it is moderate all the way.
Absoluty not! My colleague just paid 40.000 Saturday for Go->Business SFO-CPH and I have done the same countless of times and have that in my account history.

EDIT:// just looked up my last flight PVG-CPH. Shows as 'gate upgrade Asia -40.000'

EDIT:// also found in 2012 'upgrade economy to business Asia -30.000' for a flight BKK-CPH and 'upgrade economy to business USA -30.000'. So, 30k was more like 4-5 years ago

Last edited by fassy; Apr 11, 2017 at 5:42 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I went to the SK homepage, and I can't find the point requirement on the homepage anywhere. I can go to Plus Grade upgrades and Star Alliance upgrades. But no info on the price of gate upgrades. Maybe they are tinkering with it....
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Were the gate-upgrades ever officially priced? I always considered them a bit of an unpublished practice, with a relatively stable internal pricelist, but it never came through to me that this is a fixed product on offer. This might be why they do not announce changes, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wazow
Were the gate-upgrades ever officially priced? I always considered them a bit of an unpublished practice, with a relatively stable internal pricelist, but it never came through to me that this is a fixed product on offer. This might be why they do not announce changes, etc.
The points upgrade at check in or at the gate have been officially priced and described at the homepage. Until quite recently
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Absoluty not! My colleague just paid 40.000 Saturday for Go->Business SFO-CPH and I have done the same countless of times and have that in my account history.

EDIT:// just looked up my last flight PVG-CPH. Shows as 'gate upgrade Asia -40.000'
Don't understand your reply.

I stated that 40.000 has been the price until now (yesterday). And you are saying the same. So why 'absolutly not'? We seem to agree on this.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:24 am

Oh... my bad. Didn't do the simple math checking what you said. Thought you said that it was more than 40k by summing up the two upgrades...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by wazow
If we travel back in time we can see it:

http://web.archive.org/web/201511071.../seat-upgrade/

And we can compare it with the current page:

http://www.flysas.com/de/de/eurobonu.../seat-upgrade/
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jainzar

Those two links speak of two different things. The old one of a gate/check-in upgrade directly with SK. The second about upgrade through the Star Alliance flow. The latter also does not have upgrade from Go, but that is actually 50K from Plus to Business.

So currently SK is not showing the option from the archived link. And I guess that is because they are tinkering with the price. Maybe a trial to see if the higher price changes the numbers requested?

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 12, 2017 at 12:19 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by Jainzar

I stand corrected.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:39 am

Really sad to see this program going down. Demanding the same points for on upgrade to an already paid ticket as for a I class ticket is just not fair.

anyway, I bet Eivind will come up with a great explanation why this is the best they could think of to make the SAS travel experience better.

I bet next step is to increase the point prices for award tickets by some generous 20% as well as start charging YQ on SK metal awards and claim the market forces them to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.