Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Is SK considering cutting fast track?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:28 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

This morning at CPH I was surveyed after the fast track. It was a very short survey with basically only two target variables:
* Is the fast track a good service?
* To what extent does the service make people fly SAS?

I my mind, those two variables can only be used in an evaluation weather or not the perk has the desired effect.
Good service + increases ticket purchases => Keep it
Bad service + increases ticket purchases => Keep it, possibly put pressure on CPH to lower the price for inferior service
Good service + does not increase ticket purchases => Cut it
Bad service + does not increase ticket purchases => Either cut it or put pressure on CPH to improve the grade, the re-test to see if willingness to buy SK tickets increases
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by intuition
This morning at CPH I was surveyed after the fast track. It was a very short survey with basically only two target variables:
* Is the fast track a good service?
* To what extent does the service make people fly SAS?

I my mind, those two variables can only be used in an evaluation weather or not the perk has the desired effect.
Good service + increases ticket purchases => Keep it
Bad service + increases ticket purchases => Keep it, possibly put pressure on CPH to lower the price for inferior service
Good service + does not increase ticket purchases => Cut it
Bad service + does not increase ticket purchases => Either cut it or put pressure on CPH to improve the grade, the re-test to see if willingness to buy SK tickets increases
I wouldn't be surprised if SAS got rid of the special FastTrack checkpoint it uses at CPH and just decides to go for the cheaper option of CPH Express for premium customers of sorts. But I can't see SAS -- no matter how cheap it tries to make the experience -- eliminating all forms of express screening lines for all of its premium customers, until SK is closer to its mortal end.

Does DY -- a bigger player now in Scandinavia than SK -- have premium security screening arrangements for any customers?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:37 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does DY -- a bigger player now in Scandinavia than SK -- have premium security screening arrangements for any customers?
They most certainly have.

All tickets booked under a corporate agreement did get free priority security before (now I think it is decided on a corporate account level).

All DY flex fares include prio security at select airports.

Free fast track is also a part of their loyalty program at select airports.

DY also sells prio security as an addendum on the cheapest tickets for around 11,5€.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by intuition
They most certainly have.

All tickets booked under a corporate agreement did get free priority security before (now I think it is decided on a corporate account level).

All DY flex fares include prio security at select airports.

Free fast track is also a part of their loyalty program at select airports.

DY also sells prio security as an addendum on the cheapest tickets for around 100DKK.
At least that gives us an idea of an SK baseline provision for customers even if SK happens to end up canning these special SK fast track areas at some airports like CPH.

If encountering this survey at CPH, I'm not sure how I'd respond to it. SAS FastTrack just isn't as compelling a variable in my purchase decisions now as it used to be before CPH Express was expanded to cover so many more of my trips.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: EBD
I wouldn't be surprised if SAS got rid of the special FastTrack checkpoint.....
..... and announce it as an enhancement of EuroBonus
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
While I understand if SAS kicks the tires on the idea, putting it into practice will be foolish. There is not much left to distinguish SAS from DY and this is one of the few benefits that really works well. I understand that the FastTrack at CPH can be wrapped into the CPH Express, but this is not the case at ARN (I am not sure at OSL). They have already removed it from most out-stations, but removing it altogether would be sad. I think that most elites value to not have to wait in lines, so Fast Track and Business Check-In are critical.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by livious
While I understand if SAS kicks the tires on the idea, putting it into practice will be foolish. There is not much left to distinguish SAS from DY and this is one of the few benefits that really works well. I understand that the FastTrack at CPH can be wrapped into the CPH Express, but this is not the case at ARN (I am not sure at OSL). They have already removed it from most out-stations, but removing it altogether would be sad. I think that most elites value to not have to wait in lines, so Fast Track and Business Check-In are critical.
At CPH, the SK Fast Track allows for skipping the shopping mall experience. That's a huge benefit to me. Use of CPH Express still means ending up in the store.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:06 am

If they cut FastTrack in their hubs for me I see no reason to fly SK over LH anymore - besides being captured on some routes.

Lucky me, at the moment I'm just a transit customer and don't need to worry about FastTrack in CPH or ARN (until I move backNorth later the year).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:56 pm

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect that if they are really considering such (disgraceful) move at all, outstations rather than main hubs would (as it recently happened with the lounges) suffer from yet another cost cutting measure which, in case, would be far more detrimental than newspapers and contract lounges. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

G
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Does DY -- a bigger player now in Scandinavia than SK -- ...
Not true - for now.

DY has a chunk of its traffic from bases in Spain, UK and Caribbean and maybe other places.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Not true - for now.

DY has a chunk of its traffic from bases in Spain, UK and Caribbean and maybe other places.
SAS airlines used to have a chunk of their traffic from bases outside Scandinavia, but Norwegian is indeed now more into that than SAS. But still Norwegian now transports more passengers than SAS:

http://e-spaces.eu/?p=81354

Transporting more passengers and ending up with more planes makes them bigger in Scandinavia in various ways than SAS. If I had to choose one of these two big fish in the market as a client to get and keep for the longer term, I'd say Norwegian is the bigger fish.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
SAS airlines used to have a chunk of their traffic from bases outside Scandinavia, but Norwegian is indeed now more into that than SAS. But still Norwegian now transports more passengers than SAS:

http://e-spaces.eu/?p=81354

Transporting more passengers and ending up with more planes makes them bigger in Scandinavia in various ways than SAS. If I had to choose one of these two big fish in the market as a client to get and keep for the longer term, I'd say Norwegian is the bigger fish.
The point is that a sizeable part of that passenger number does not touch Scandinavia. E.g. UK to US, or UK to Spain. So bigger yes, but biggest in the Scandinavian market, I am not sure. But probably not as the numbers are only marginally larger. I wonder where the current growth is though, Scandinavian or non Scandinavian routes.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The point is that a sizeable part of that passenger number does not touch Scandinavia. E.g. UK to US, or UK to Spain. So bigger yes, but biggest in the Scandinavian market, I am not sure. But probably not as the numbers are only marginally larger. I wonder where the current growth is though, Scandinavian or non Scandinavian routes.
Is DY flying more passengers from OSL than SK?
Is DY flying more passengers from CPH than SK?
Is DY flying more passengers from ARN than SK?

That would probably give a reasonable indicator of who is the bigger player in that regard.

Norwegian has grown its capacity for non-Scandinavian routes long after SAS got out of that game in most ways.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 30, 2017 at 3:55 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Is DY flying more passengers from OSL than SK?
Is DY flying more passengers from CPH than SK?
Is DY flying more passengers from ARN than SK?

That would probably give a reasonable indicator of who is the bigger player in that regard.

Norwegian has grown its capacity for non-Scandinavian routes long after SAS got out of that game in most ways.
I don't have the statistics for that. But based on the overall passenger numbers and the number of routes outside Scandinavia of the two airlines, my guess would be no to all three,but a possibly for OSL. But if someone has the statistics I'd be very curious.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Having access to fast-track security is a big factor in travel decision. Due to the nature of tickets booked and frequent flyer elite status, it is rare to not be able to use fast-track at any given airport.

If SAS or any other airlines I use frequently, it would likely mean that I would avoid them altogether. In case of business travel, fast track is critical and some airports are unusable without it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.