Connection at PVG - SK/NZ

Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
FWIW I gave a call to SK and they confirmed that there is no interline agreement with NZ,
but then the agent lied.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
There was an updated diagram of what flight combinations can have bags thru checked and use the airside (sort of) transfer facility. SK and NZ combination definitely shows up on the diagram. BR is also on the diagram now which it wasn't before.

My advice is ask SK to tag your bags thru to your final destination and when you disembark, go to the PVG transfer desk (same place where you did the LH/NZ transfer) and ask if they can do it. As for interline, it is a Star Alliance requirement where all members must sign interline agreement with each other.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:45 am
AHO

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I'm not sure the agent used the word "interline" correctly, but since PVG is such a special case I understood what she meant and didn't drill further.
Originally Posted by wazow
Interesting, I would have bet that about 7-8 years ago I connected from SK to NZ in NRT, with luggage forwarded. But perhaps I don't remember ...
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
You could, I've done that once about 9 years ago.
Originally Posted by warakorn
Strange, that two Star Alliance longhaul carriers have no agreement on interlining baggage. It's baffling, because you can book CPH-PVG-AKL on the flysas.com website (SK to NZ connection)

I would assume the agent told you the wrong thing or didn't have a clue.
There might be an airport specific issue at PVG that prevents checking through baggage.
Problem is not that SAS and Air New Zealand does not have interline agreement (they have).
The problem lies on Shanghai Pudong (PVG) airport's facility.

Unless you do not connect between certain China Eastern (MU) / Shanghai Airlines (FM) international flights, you need to go landside and re-check in both for your boarding pass and for the checked luggage.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Landed at PVG yesterday (on LX) and they specifically mentioned that everyone has to pick up and re-check bags, EXCEPT people with a connection to an NZ flight...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
There was an updated diagram of what flight combinations can have bags thru checked and use the airside (sort of) transfer facility. SK and NZ combination definitely shows up on the diagram. BR is also on the diagram now which it wasn't before.
Do you remember where you saw the diagram? The one on the (horrible) PVG website does not seem to have it.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:46 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Do you remember where you saw the diagram? The one on the (horrible) PVG website does not seem to have it.
It is not that terrible (IMHO) and it has the diagram:

http://en.shairport.com/2012-05/26/content_15971502.htm (you need to scroll down for T2 transfer info).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
It is not that terrible (IMHO) and it has the diagram
Yes, but it only shows the transfer facility for LX/LH/VS/NZ, no mention of SK.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
The new diagram is on display in various locations in the arrival hall. PVG website is outdated.

Transfers between NZ and BR/SK started 15 Dec 16. See attached:
Attached Images   

Last edited by Xiaotung; Apr 18, 2017 at 1:53 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you Xiaotung, this is most helpful!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by AHO
Problem is not that SAS and Air New Zealand does not have interline agreement (they have).
The problem lies on Shanghai Pudong (PVG) airport's facility.
If anything NZ currently offers the most seamless connections from PVG, with VS,LX,LH,OS,SK,BH.

NZ's has worked very hard on getting an good deal with the right authorities in China to allow this to happen. Its really down to the airport, but more needing the right approvals to allow direct connections.

Having done the LX-NZ transit recently, it has to be one of the best Intl to Intl connections that I'ver done. A large amount of the passengers on the NZ flights are connecting to/from Europe.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I found the NZ87 to SK964 connection at HKG effortless as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.