Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Don't laugh, priority boarding with SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't laugh, priority boarding with SAS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jainzar
It seems like the 3 zones are the following:
Zone A: priority
Zone B: back of the plane
Zone C: rest

https://finalcall.travel/no/sas-test...ing-kobenhavn/
Simple and logical, I like that.

Not the UA version where Group 1 is preceeded by GS and probably a few others.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
While simple and logical, you are going to find Elite or Plus heavy flights (ie. ARN-CPH) where 85% is going to be in Zone A and where such a system is defeating its own purpose immediately.

The first group needs to be more restrictive, simply to make them board faster and reduce the wait till the second group. On short-haul, it should really be EBD (possibly EBG) and Plus. You're talking 20 people max, not all in Plus. Once they have boarded, they're seated so won't be creating queues, they will have been able to store their carry-on luggage and since they are likely frequent flyers, they'll have boarded efficiently.

Having a group that boards a specific portion of the plane, unless its the back through the back door, is just going to create queues. The first person on-board is almost certainly the guy in the first row of that section with 3 carry-ons while not being able to lift them in personally. Or you get the madness from the B and C seats filling up before the A guy shows up, causing further queue disruption. In a perfect world, you would fill coach by letting people in A and F (in such configs) board first.

In the post from Jainzar, SAS needs to make a second queue for Silvers and Elites from other *A programs or the net effect of introducing such a system is utterly marginal.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
While simple and logical, you are going to find Elite or Plus heavy flights (ie. ARN-CPH) where 85% is going to be in Zone A and where such a system is defeating its own purpose immediately.

The first group needs to be more restrictive, simply to make them board faster and reduce the wait till the second group. On short-haul, it should really be EBD (possibly EBG) and Plus. You're talking 20 people max, not all in Plus. Once they have boarded, they're seated so won't be creating queues, they will have been able to store their carry-on luggage and since they are likely frequent flyers, they'll have boarded efficiently.

Having a group that boards a specific portion of the plane, unless its the back through the back door, is just going to create queues. The first person on-board is almost certainly the guy in the first row of that section with 3 carry-ons while not being able to lift them in personally. Or you get the madness from the B and C seats filling up before the A guy shows up, causing further queue disruption. In a perfect world, you would fill coach by letting people in A and F (in such configs) board first.

In the post from Jainzar, SAS needs to make a second queue for Silvers and Elites from other *A programs or the net effect of introducing such a system is utterly marginal.
There is no perfect way, whatever you design there is always some disadvantages. The guy with the 3 carry-on bags is simple to fix though, enforcement enforcement and enforcement.

Since I never fly Copenhagen to Stockholm anymore, I don't know how common it remains, but on 7am or so departure from CPH and 6pm from Stockholm, it was normal that half the plane was Plus. You'd struggle to find any way of managing that. But the cases where the majority would be priority are few and probably not the target of the planning.

They would not be able to put other *G in a lower bucket than EBG. Star Alliance rules... EBD/P they can single out. Like PPS, HON, and a few others are.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:16 am

Priority boarding wouldn't be an issue at all if the absurd carry-on situation would be solved. I don't care if I'm first or last on board as long as I know I won't need to fight for overhead bin space to store my small carry-on.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:37 am

At TXL yesterday priority boarding were enforced. No zones, but priority for "Platniums"
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by fassy
Priority boarding wouldn't be an issue at all if the absurd carry-on situation would be solved. I don't care if I'm first or last on board as long as I know I won't need to fight for overhead bin space to store my small carry-on.
There is a very easy solution to this: Switch your flying to Y on BA. You don't need to fight for carry on space for your things. BA will force you to store it under the seat in front of you, reserving the space in bins for luggage-hungry once-a-year-traveling tourists. This way you don't need to stress. Relax. Just get your yellow sticker on your small carry on and you are good to go. It is equally bad whether you come first or last
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by Jainzar
It seems like the 3 zones are the following:
Zone A: priority
Zone B: back of the plane
Zone C: rest

https://finalcall.travel/no/sas-test...ing-kobenhavn/
^
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
At TXL yesterday priority boarding were enforced. No zones, but priority for "Platniums"
Contract workers, perhaps?
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
The first person on-board is almost certainly the guy in the first row of that section with 3 carry-ons while not being able to lift them in personally.
Am I remembering incorrectly? I thought Plus got 2 standard sized carry-on bags plus a personal item.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tennen
^

Am I remembering incorrectly? I thought Plus got 2 standard sized carry-on bags plus a personal item.
That is for long haul only, and connecting flights to long haul. So could happen to be legit...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Looks like the zone boarding is still being attempted...and again with success at Gate D2 at CPH. I had only a backpack and intended to board last, but the staff were excellent in announcing the zone boarding and shooing away people that were denied by the scanners. Lots of room around the gate, so I decided to use rhe priority boarding as there was no clutter around the gate.

Looks like a serious attempt and I appreciate the effort. Hope it sticks!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:37 am

I have yet to see even the slightest attempt at this new boarding's modus-operandi: C36 yesterday, D2 Friday, B6 Thursday etc. etc. and the usual mess with passengers impatiently funnelling down the gate. On a slightly different note, boarding was delayed yesterday (resulting in a late departure) as the flight was oversold and one of the gate assistants going round in circles asking passengers (one-by-one) whether they would be willing to wait for the later flight (nearly 10 hours later, even though I wonder whether they would have put any volunteers on LH via either FRA or MUC) and get a 150 EUR voucher. All-in-all, I just gave up with priority boarding and happy to wait until boarding ends before heading to my aisle seat and slide my bag down the seat in front of me, which doesn't bother me at all, especially on short flights such as my usual CPH-GDN.

G
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:59 am

Just boarded my flight CPH-HAM at B15 and the gate software enforced priority boarding. Gave red light for people trying to sneak in which in turn were send to the back by the gate agent.

Worked pretty good. Hope they continue to do so and keep up the discipline.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:25 am

Sounds good - I shall report back tonight on my way back to Gdańsk.

@fassy - was it enforced at Birmingham? They normally announce it but hardly ever push people back (probably with today's horrible weather in this part of the world they were even less willing to do so ).

G
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:47 am

They announced priority boarding in BHX and the girl at the jet bridge door called a few time 'priority only' but I don't think she actually checked. At least she didn't want to see my boarding pass.

CPH-BHX and HAM-CPH were also not enforced. I think the only way to get this working is with the gate scanner refusing to let the pax pass. (Or a real queue concept like in the US which I don't like at all)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:40 am

I was looking forward to experience the new modus operandi in terms of priority boarding and I couldn't have been happier as I reached B8 shortly after half-past ten (coming off SK2536 from BHX) and pretty chuffed to have the gate all for myself... Only to realise, once on the 753 to GDN, that they were all waiting for me. Ah well...

G
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
The staff at ARN seem to have gotten the memo about zone boarding, but fail to realize that they might have to enforce it. I understand the people were in a hurry to board after a 1.5 hour delay, but they made no attempt to even check boarding passes after making the lengthy announcement of the new boarding process. Despite the huge mass of people blocking the area and two gate staff, it apparently made sense to only use one side of the gate for boarding. Nothing more efficient that having one person scan while the other just watched!

One elite decided to push his luck and scanned himself in on the unmanned side of the gate, only to be scolded by the gate staff with nothing to do. He pointed out that he was Zone A, but she was having none of it and gave him a good tongue lashing. I am sure that the staff member felt she contributed to the boarding process.

The staff was also celebrating a new national holdiday: "Bring as many carry-ons as possible" Day. How fun to have a chaotic boarding process further complicated by people bring 1 large carry-on and two large personal items. To no surprise, not everything fit and we were further delayed another 20 minutes due to people not finding space and arguing about having to check their bags. Of course we arrived 110 minutes late and did not qualify for compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.