Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS | EuroBonus Silver (EBS) [Experiences and Discussions]

Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:06 pm
Moderator: SAS
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)

This is a merged thread discussing the EuroBonus Silver (EBS) status level and its benefits, as well as for providing experience reports traveling with EBS status.

-----

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited by Nick Art; Jul 10, 2023 at 11:48 am
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
FastTrack & Lounge period for EBS shortened

Just to make the change of the period visible when EBS members can use Fast Track and SAS Lounges. The new periods are July 8 - August 20 and December 17 - January 8.

It used to be full July and August as well as mid December to mid January.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Silver EB membership question

I see from the table on the SAS site that Silver members get one free checked bag allowance.

The description says it includes skis, etc.

Does this mean I can check my suitcase in for free when I become Silver? Currently I'm paying extra to get my suitcase checked in via my corporate travel agent. When I search for flights I get two prices: one for hand baggage only and one for a checked bag. The price for the checked bag is quite a bit higher than the HBO fare.

So here's my question: assuming I become a Silver EB member, would I be able to select the HBO fare and check my suitcase in for free?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by rumbataz

So here's my question: assuming I become a Silver EB member, would I be able to select the HBO fare and check my suitcase in for free?
On SK flights (not partner airlines), Silver EB members get one additional bag for free. So, if you want one bag, buy a GO light ticket (no checked bag included), and you can still check one bag for free (with your EB Silver card in hand).

If you want two bags, book GO (or higher) and you get the included allowance + your free bag.

So, you get whatever is on your ticket + 1 free bag, if you are EB Silver travelling on SK metal.

It is really rather useful, with the GO light fares.

Hope this helps.

DanishFlyer
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Yeah, cheers for that. I'm a couple of return flights away from silver so should get that in a fortnight.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:04 pm

Also, you can drop that bag at business check-in, bypassing the sometimes mayhem of regular GO check-in. This to me is actually the biggest difference to my SK experience from being Silver.

I mean I like not paying for the bag, but only waiting in line for security and not bag drop is a real blessing at CPH on Friday afternoons ;-)

DanishFlyer
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:48 am

Okay, this is all good to know. CPH airport is extremely busy whenever I'm there and anything that can knock a few minutes off waiting times is a bonus.

I usually use the self-service machines at LHR and CPH to print our my baggage tag as I check-in in online.

If I became Silver, would the machines know that I an entitled to a free checked-in bag even though the ticket is the HBO one?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
If I became Silver, would the machines know that I an entitled to a free checked-in bag even though the ticket is the HBO one?
In my experience (as a Diamond on HBO fares), yes. They also print a "PRIORITY" band on the label when so entitled (not that it makes a jot of difference).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:13 am

I have to admit that my LHR-CPH flight has one of the fastest baggage deliveries I've ever noticed! I tend to get a seat at the back half of the aircraft so by the time I disembark and walk into the baggage reclaim area and have a quick call of nature, the bags are just about arriving on the carousel.

Getting back to LHR T2 from CPH is just plain painful. The queues at immigration often take 20+ minutes.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Getting back to LHR T2 from CPH is just plain painful. The queues at immigration often take 20+ minutes.
Are you not using the self-check gates? I find immigration at LHR T2 using those gates to be faster than the LHR T5 fast-track lines.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Are you not using the self-check gates? I find immigration at LHR T2 using those gates to be faster than the LHR T5 fast-track lines.
Yes, I'm using the eGates at T2. Last couple of Thursday nights (at around 8.00pm) the queues for the eGates have taken about 20 minutes. A couple of weeks ago I made the mistake of not using the eGates and it took around 30 minutes to clear passport control.

I've found T5 much quicker.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I have never waited in T2 with the automated passport checks.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have never waited in T2 with the automated passport checks.
Exactly, I guess "YMMV" applies. I've flown to T2 at all times of the day and I've rarely had to wait and if I did, it was because at most one or two people where in front of me.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:52 pm

How odd! There have been extraordinary queues every Thursday evening for the last three weeks when I've arrived at T2. I'm talking dozens if not hundreds of people waiting at the eGates.

I'd have taken a photo if I was allowed to as I was quite shocked at the queues.

To try and visualise the queues, they extended to beyond the corner where you turn right to enter the lane for the eGates. The lane then snakes before you can queue in front of an eGate.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by klmml
In my experience (as a Diamond on HBO fares), yes. They also print a "PRIORITY" band on the label when so entitled (not that it makes a jot of difference).
Yes, the machines know.

Keep your Eurobonus Silver card out. Show that with your boarding pass the the agent at the entrance to business check-in. You might add that you just want to drop your bag (you can even use the check-in there, but it is usually faster to use the machine to get the baggage tag and then just drop the bag). I have NEVER had to wait for more than one person. I fly out maybe 8 times a year, so not much to go by, but it is usually on Friday afternoon and at busy holiday times, so it has frequently been an absolute blessing, cutting queuing down to security (and maybe passport) only.

Then again, I also have good luck on the T2 e-gates (passport).

DanishFlyer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.