Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS | EuroBonus Gold (EBG) [Experiences and Discussions]

Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:56 am
Moderator: SAS
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)

This is a merged thread discussing the EuroBonus Gold (EBG) status level and its benefits, as well as for providing experience reports traveling with EBG status.

-----

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited by Nick Art; Jul 10, 2023 at 11:47 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:56 am

Advice on obtaining Eurobonus Gold

Hi fellow FF'ers.

I am seeking advice on how to get my hands on a SAS Eurobonus Gold card.

Currently SAS Silver, I fly 4-5 oneway trips ( segments) a month, mainly on the CPH-DUS route.

In the past I have used AB and SAS roughly 50/50, but for the upcoming summer schedule, my prefered departures have been either canceled or moved forward by 1,5 hours, no longer making it feasible, if I am to come to work on time.

So I am planning switching to an all out SAS strategy, and use their earlier departures. This is where my quest for Gold comes in.

Should I just wait it out, and hopefully reach Gold sometimes in December ( 45 segments, since I have no chance qualifying on miles)? Flying Plus is out of reach, financially

Should I do a hardcore segment run, flying maybe 6 segments a day, if a good offer comes up.? Will the price for this, even be worth it?

Should I make friends with a Diamond member, and pursuade him or her to donate a Gold card to me?

Any advice appriciated, since I am tired of standing in line in the security, especially during the summer rush, and paying for lousy coffee. Not that the lounge coffee is much better, but my favorite meal, is free food...

Thanks,

CommutingATC

PS: My qualifying period begins 1. Mar .17,
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by CommutingATC
Hi fellow FF'ers.

Currently SAS Silver, I fly 4-5 oneway trips ( segments) a month, mainly on the CPH-DUS route.

In the past I have used AB and SAS roughly 50/50, but for the upcoming summer schedule, my prefered departures have been either canceled or moved forward by 1,5 hours, no longer making it feasible, if I am to come to work on time.

So I am planning switching to an all out SAS strategy, and use their earlier departures. This is where my quest for Gold comes in.

Should I just wait it out, and hopefully reach Gold sometimes in December ( 45 segments, since I have no chance qualifying on miles)? Flying Plus is out of reach, financially
I don't know.
Should I do a hardcore segment run, flying maybe 6 segments a day, if a good offer comes up.? Will the price for this, even be worth it?
When you have a very cheap ticket it costs usually around 30 so buying 45 of them will cost you 1350 plus the time spent flying. Is it worth it? I personally don't see much sense in a segment run when you need many segments still.
Should I make friends with a Diamond member, and pursuade him or her to donate a Gold card to me?
That is probably the cheapest and quickest option if you have one at hand.
Any advice appriciated, since I am tired of standing in line in the security, especially during the summer rush, and paying for lousy coffee. Not that the lounge coffee is much better, but my favorite meal, is free food...

Thanks,

CommutingATC

Actually during 6 weeks in summer you can enjoy SAS Fast Track in CPH even with your silver card. And lounge access can be bought. Maybe a Priority Pass with unlimited visits would help.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:26 am

Flying Plus is out of reach, financially
A segment run would still represent, in some degree, an unnecessary hit to your finances, at least in my opinion. Moreover, as suggested by Jainzar, you would still be able to make the most of both fast-track and lounge at CPH during a limited period of time over summer.

G
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Hi fellow FF'ers.

Thanks,

CommutingATC

I would wait it out. Maybe you'll anyway get some extra segments in the books for other reasons. And you are there sooner than December.
​​​​​
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Maybe go to Norway on 2 weeks of holiday on a Wideroe explorer ticket? That should get you a lot of legs for a cheap price!

Anyway, I find the easiest way is to fly Go/Plus on longhaul for a few weekends away to be the by far easiest way to qualify. However, if you have no time or desire to go to these places that is clearly not a useful option.

(I got over 230k base points last year from trying to avoid SAS on longhauls, unless they were dirt cheap or vastly more convenient - and SK/*A was not my no1 alliance)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:29 pm

You state you will acieve status by December. Remember that you qualification "year" most likely does not follow the calendar year. Just so you have this in mind.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:18 am

Thanks for the advice Guys.

I believe concensus is to gut it out, and wait until I qualify by normal means.

And yes, there is the Sliver fast track perk etc. during summer, but for the past few years I seem not to have used it, since AB had better flights than SK, in those periods. Anyway it is only useful in CPH, and DUS can be fairly sporty as well in Summer.

Thanks again,.

C-atc
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Always invest in an upgrade via plusgrade, 30€ more will get you a high booking class (more points), fast track lounge etc.

​​​​​​​Also investigate if your route qualifies for the travel pass scheme?!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:35 am

I have never seen Go to Plus upgrades at 30 since the switchover to Plusgrade. Gemany->CPH usually runs at 55 which makes it an expensive option. Could be cheaper to just use Plus tickets booked 6 weeks out.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
But I would from time to time use points for Plusgrade. It will cost effectively 4000points and is usually accepted if the flight is not sold out.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
It seems to me that you are not doing the milage run, but you are flying whatever you need (so ignore the comments of others about doing a segment run).

I would follow Jainzar's advice. If you don't need your points then start to use them to upgrade via plusgrade on points (online, not at the airport -- the website is a bit hard to find, but it is somewhere hidden on sas.dk) . The minimum price is 5000 points per segment, but you earn 1500 as silver on each of these, so effectively it costs you only 3500 points per segment. If you have points banked up, and you don't want to use them otherwise you will attain status much faster than via segments.

I do the same even though I already am EBG. I detest mileage runs as not worth my time, this allows me to secure status extensions without mileage runs. I find the points worth less than my time.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
One more thing: check whether you can get a Diners card, priority pass, or anything of this kind. Lounges on both sides should accept some of these. Then you are just down to not having fast track. This could be a solution until you get gold. If you can get it in Germany, it might be more attractive than in Denmark. The Danish Diners has terrible conditions.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:43 pm

Thanks again Guys.

Some really useful information. I will defininitly look into upgrading, for more points.

I used to have PP, when they often had good promotions, but lately it has been full price, so I decided to take a break.

Does anyone here have the SAS MasterCard World? There is a PP offer, that appears fairly cheap, but you need a MC World card, and my bank does not offer it.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: EuroBonus
EBG gold - guest through fast track (CPH and BCN)

Newly minted gold here.
In July I am travelling with a friend. We are on the same ticket, flying SK CPH-BCN and return.
I know I can guest her into the lounge.
Can I guest her through fast track at CPH? At BCN?
Thanks
-DanishFlyer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.