Wiki Posts
Search

Fast wifi is comming fall 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Fast wifi is comming fall 2017

SAS will invest 500 mio. SEK to install wifi on all (their own) single aisle aircraft with the first aircraft ready in second half of 2017.

Provider will be ViaSat and Eutelsat’s European satellite connectivity. Onboard speed will be at least 12 Mbps to each passenger. Wifi will be offered gate to gate.

First aircraft will be the A320neo, which also will have USB outlets at seats, extra leg room and more comfortable seats – is the promises in the press release from SAS.

In addition, 70 existing cabins will be upgraded between 2017 and mid-2019.

Wifi will be free on short haul flights for all Eurobonus members and SAS Plus ticket holders.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It's really time for SK to offer free wifi - DY has been doing this for a while and it seems to work great.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
It's really time for SK to offer free wifi - DY has been doing this for a while and it seems to work great.
If it really is for all Eurobonus members, it is effectively free.

But in the broader scale, very few airlines offer free Internet. So in the general scale of things, the offer as stated is pretty decent....
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Offer-wise its the same as on their long-haul aircraft. I find 12 Mbps to each passenger a stretch, that's what you get to the whole plane at the moment and is shared by everyone on-board.

Nonetheless, the wi-fi on SK's long-haul flights is actually useable and I benefit from it so I can only welcome it on their short-haul flights as well. If its really as fast as advertised, even better.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:09 am
Original Poster

DY has been doing this for a while and it seems to work great.
It works - some times. At times it can be a hassle to get a slot and doing anything meaningful. At other times it is ok for simple tasks such as mails. Problem: you can't trust it before boarding. Based on my only 6 DY-flights.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Offer-wise its the same as on their long-haul aircraft.
No. Longhaul is not free for EBB/EBS.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
No. Longhaul is not free for EBB/EBS.
TK gives it out to their E and E+ members.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
They have downgraded to that? Used to be free for all on the 77W. One of the few airlines doing that.

But that would kind of be equivalent to EBG and EBD. No?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They have downgraded to that? Used to be free for all on the 77W. One of the few airlines doing that.

Yep! Very similar.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back in 2013 it was opened to all on their 777s, shortly after that it only limited to J pax 1 device only.

Their E is *G so it's like EBG and E+ is EBD.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: TK E+
But it either don't work or is not available, so it doesn't really matter how free it is On my 200K++ miles on TK metal per year, I think I can count on one hand the flights where it was actually possible to use the internet connection.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If it really is for all Eurobonus members, it is effectively free.

But in the broader scale, very few airlines offer free Internet. So in the general scale of things, the offer as stated is pretty decent....
JetBlue is the largest carrier based in the Americas to offer free, general-use wi-fi to passengers free of any requirements to be a member of a program or to be flying a premium class of service. Norwegian is the largest carrier based in Europe to do the same.

Given Norwegian is eating into SAS's network so very extensively, it seems like SK is slowly playing catch up but who knows if they are going far enough.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
JetBlue is the largest carrier based in the Americas to offer free, general-use wi-fi to passengers free of any requirements to be a member of a program or to be flying a premium class of service. Norwegian is the largest carrier based in Europe to do the same.

Given Norwegian is eating into SAS's network so very extensively, it seems like SK is slowly playing catch up but who knows if they are going far enough.
They are probably also almost the only carriers doing it.

The question really is how high up on the list of reasons to select an airline wifi really is. And then how much higher free wifi is. And how much additional RPK(M) it generates.

My best guess to why it is not universally free on SK is not for the few customers they will be selling it to, but for the potential of expanding the marketing database called Eurobonus membership.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: TK E+
The question really is how high up on the list of reasons to select an airline wifi really is. And then how much higher free wifi is. And how much additional RPK(M) it generates.
This is a really good question. In this time of age we are online 24/7 and personally I actually enjoy those hours on the plane where I can be completely offline, without feeling bad about it. However, I'm mostly flying Scandinavia - Asia back and forth, so I fly at night. I do see the practical in being able to work while flying Scandinavia to the US during day time.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its a tremendous expense with very little return. Everything is soft facts, not really hard revenue. SAS will know what exactly is going on with their aircraft and save (a bit) on line maintenance. Delayed pax can potentially check and rebook their flights. IFE will be available to all. Some may even pay a bit to watch premium IFE. Does this justify such an expense? I'm 100% certain no one will book SAS because of that little additional feature. Especially when in competition with DY/FR.

The Viasat solution is based on a limited time Eutelsat deal: http://blog.wandr.me/2016/09/surfing...t-haul-fleets/

The Intelsat solution LH is installing is handed over to T-Mobile, who is actually paying LH to install it, or rather is leasing space onboard. T-Mobile plans to install phone hotspots and grab mobile data traffic etc. The same model already is implemented on longhaul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.