Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS EuroBonus Downgrading- Diamond to Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EuroBonus EBD

Hi guys,

I`m trying do understand following: My qualification period is 1st of May to 30 of April every year. For the past 2 years I have reached Diamond status, for the year before Diamond level was introduced I also got double points for the Gold level.

Last years I unfortunately did not reached the required number of points to keep the status. 30th of April I gave away a Gold card, since this was the last day to be able to do so.

1st of May - I was able to give away a new Gold card, for anew qualification period. My status was kept as Diamond member in their App and sas.xx. I was also able to choose a new Goodie bag. I sent an email to SAS asking how long my I had Diamond status, and Customer service confirmed: until 30th of April 2017.

So, I thought maybe they want to keep my status, because of long history since I have been a Gold/Diamond remember for 8 years.

Yesterday I received a MasterCard Gold card, an when contacting MC they told that these are the files they have received from SAS: I`m having Gold status, not Diamond anymore.

Another colleague told that SK keeps their bonus members status + 3 months after the qualification period ends. This is exactly the date my MasterCard ends, 31 st of July.

My question is: does SAS in anyway inform at the end of the qualification period, that you have unfortunately not been able to reach status to keep your current status. Or you are upgraded to next level?

Or is my new MasterCard the new proof of my new status, even if apps, sas.xx and Customer Service says something else?

Last edited by SK_Polo; Jun 25, 2016 at 7:17 am Reason: headline
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
It's status + 3 months like you colleague said.

I don't recall you get any formal notification about downgrades, only upgrades as you'll receive a new card. Otherwise if you carry the creditcards, those simply get reissued every 12 months with your active status.

If you know you didn't requalify Diamond and your MC was issued as Gold then the message is clear.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:42 am

End of qualifying period plus 3 months. You do not get any notification just on 1st of August the app, sas.se/.dk will show Gold status. You might need to reload/refresh the app to show the new status.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I am as confused as OP regarding the rules. I am now in my third year of Silver without accumulating more than a handful short-haul flights in Y per year. I don't qualify for Silver, yet I seem to keep the tier level. Any ideas why?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
I am as confused as OP regarding the rules. I am now in my third year of Silver without accumulating more than a handful short-haul flights in Y per year. I don't qualify for Silver, yet I seem to keep the tier level. Any ideas why?
How many flights? 10 legs in a year is enough.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by fassy
How many flights? 10 legs in a year is enough.
Correction of what I just said: counting the SAS flights specifically, last year I did indeed just barely qualify. The year before not. Very interesting.

Last edited by CeruleanBlue; Jun 29, 2016 at 6:33 am
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:01 am

Correction of what I just said: counting the SAS flights specifically, last year I did indeed just barely qualify. The year before not. Very interesting.
Have you been Gold the year before? They should do a soft landing to the next lower status level if you do not requalify.

Or you hit silver during one of the promotions (e.g. Fly 4 legs from April to May)
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Have you been Gold the year before? They should do a soft landing to the next lower status level if you do not requalify.

Or you hit silver during one of the promotions (e.g. Fly 4 legs from April to May)
Nope - just silver all along. Qualified by legs, not points. Not that it matters much as I only fly SAS if I have to (they cancel a morning flight out of Helsinki almost every morning so it's a Russian roulette I don't have time for).
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Nope - just silver all along. Qualified by legs, not points. Not that it matters much as I only fly SAS if I have to (they cancel a morning flight out of Helsinki almost every morning so it's a Russian roulette I don't have time for).
Oddly, ex-HEL on weekday mornings is the only 'hub' where I haven't (touch wood) experienced a cancellation. But YMMV, of course; the planes I take are usually on their first flights of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.