Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Random checks of carry on at ARN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random checks of carry on at ARN

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by dznyboy
Nothing is new here.
As always bring as heavy "carry on" as you like.
No one ever check anything.
That's the whole point of this thread.... They started checking
Old May 28, 2016, 1:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fassy
That's the whole point of this thread.... They started checking
Do they have a scale measuring the weight of cabin bags at the gate?
Old May 28, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Do they have a scale measuring the weight of cabin bags at the gate?
No, current checks I've seen at ARN are really just based on assumptions by the ground staff.
Old May 28, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I get a fair amount of SK Airbus planes on routes where one or both of these carriers have (at least sometimes) Boeing 737s. The SK Airbus bins on these routes fit more bulky carry on bags than the DY Boeing 737s.

Rather than comparing apples to oranges -- which is what it may indeed appear to be -- I was trying to show how a company that more widely mixes apples and oranges may not "train" its customers (nor attract "trained" customers) as effectively as company with less variety in play for its customers.
I'm not sure it's about training the customer nor attracting customer. I think it's more to do with Norwegian not attracting as many business traveler as SK. Most FF business I know selects legacy airline because of the fast track and free lounge access which they don't get with Norwegian on eco class. Those business traveler more often bring along a full size carry on instead of checking it, compared to the average traveler.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Most FF business I know selects legacy airline because of the fast track and free lounge access which they don't get with Norwegian on eco class. Those business traveler more often bring along a full size carry on instead of checking it, compared to the average traveler.
I guess your experience widely varies from mine but its not the business folks that flood the cabin with carry-on luggage. The experienced travel knows how to pack efficiently and minimal.

Leisure, cheap and inexperienced passengers do bring to much, inefficiently packed and not in a carrier that utilises the storage compartment of an aircraft.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
The annoying trend is that more and more airlines build in scales into the sizers. I don't mind the size restriction. It just makes me pack more carefully. But weight s ridculous. You put a laptop and a book into the roller and you very fast exceed 8kg. I think BA has the *very* *nice* approach, of admitting (essentially) arbitrary weight. I think they say 23kg, but it is very hard to fill in a small bag upto 23 kg, so on average customers will have much less.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:51 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OP here, reporting back.

So I turned up at ARN with 2 carry-ons (1 normal carry on and one was the 90x20x10 cm 1kg item I was talking about). Allowance according to webpage is 2 carry-ons each weighing 8kg and adhering to the 55x40x23 and I guess one smaller item.I didn't want to risk getting any of the items gate-checked, so I went to check in and asked if I would be allowed. The oversized carry-on was of no interest to her, but she wanted to weigh my other carry on. It was slightly over 8KG and both pieces was OK:ed.

No signs of any random checks in the gate area.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:56 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
<del>

Last edited by intuition; Jul 4, 2016 at 9:21 am Reason: DOUBLE POSTING
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:33 am

I've had zero problems so far at ARN and have not seen any carry-on checks recently either.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
I haven't had my carry-on checked on an SK flight for at least 3 years, and the last time was LH agents at FRA that were concerned about my 10.5kg bag within size limits.

I almost always have carry-on within size limits, but it is often overweight as work equipment/merchandise tends to be heavy. I am yet to be challenged anywhere at an SK ground handling place.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by skba1
I haven't had my carry-on checked on an SK flight for at least 3 years, and the last time was LH agents at FRA that were concerned about my 10.5kg bag within size limits.

I almost always have carry-on within size limits, but it is often overweight as work equipment/merchandise tends to be heavy. I am yet to be challenged anywhere at an SK ground handling place.
Have been regularly checked for maximum weight of my carry-on at the CPH check-in desk for years.

Only since they allowed OLCI to the US I was able to skip that check and have never been challenged at the gates.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Just found this
Effective 21 November, SAS will perform random inspections of hand baggage at Copenhagen Kastrup airport. The aim is to increase comfort onboard and minimize the risk of delays. The inspections willbe made at the departure gate. Any hand baggage that exceeds the maximum permitted weightand/or size on inspection, will be sent as checked baggage. The baggage can then be collected at thearrival hall at the final destination.
http://www.flysas.com/de/de/travel-i...cabin-baggage/

Anyone who noticed this in CPH?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Just found this

Effective 21 November, SAS will perform random inspections of hand baggage at Copenhagen Kastrup airport. The aim is to increase comfort onboard and minimize the risk of delays. The inspections willbe made at the departure gate. Any hand baggage that exceeds the maximum permitted weightand/or size on inspection, will be sent as checked baggage. The baggage can then be collected at thearrival hall at the final destination.

Anyone who noticed this in CPH?
Generally I applaud these initiatives if they are performed in line with the rules, and fairly consequently for the departures that are selected. And are more about size than weight.

Though I have to say, SK is one of the airlines where I see problems much less often than others. But as the light fares start to spread that may change.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Though I have to say, SK is one of the airlines where I see problems much less often than others. But as the light fares start to spread that may change.
HBO Fares! That is the point! LH Group Airlines never cared about carry-on size or weight (in reasonable limits) but after they started the HBO fares they have become quite nasty at some airports. Worst being OS staff in VIE and in AT in general.

But instead of being straight and honest... as usual, they sell this as 'for your safety and comfort'.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
[QUOTE=Jainzar;27533961]Just found this

Went through CPH a few days ago on my way to HEL from EWR and no sign of any baggage checks at that time. Had myself only a small backpack but based on how hard even that was to fit into the overhead compartment it was more than clear that no baggage checks were made at least with respect to the HEL plane..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.