Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

What happens when your flight is cancelled?

Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

I know this is a very basic question, but I was just looking at the flight stats for SK943 and noticed it's been cancelled twice in the last week. I'm taking that flight in a few weeks and it got me thinking. I've flown domestically and had flights cancelled but it's always either been something where they cancelled a couple days ahead because weather was coming and they informed me or they cancelled my flight but there was another 15 flights that day, so I just got the next one home to Chicago. There's not a lot of flights CPH-ORD though. If they decide to cancel the flight, would they just automatically rebook me on the same flight the next day? Do I have to wait in a horrible line (I've got no status - first time flying SAS).

In preparing for worst case scenarios (because that's what I do), what would I need to do if my flight was cancelled? I'm assuming I can't just rebook online?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:54 pm

You will be rebooked on the next connection available which might not be a direct CPH-ORD but e.g. CPH-EWR-ORD. Often enought they will already have a new connection mapped out when you check-in.

Pro-Tip: Save the local SAS phone number and have your reservation number handy. Then instead of running to the rebooking counter just call in and ask for options.

There are plenty of options to ORD from CPH, e.g. CPH-EWR-ORD, CPH-IAD-ORD, CPH-BOS-ORD (all with first leg on SK, second on UA) or CPH-YYZ-ORD on Air Canada, CPH-FRA-ORD on LH/UA, CPH-MUC-ORD on LH/UA, CPH-WAW-ORD with LOT... and a lot more.

Don't worry. Chances you will get stuck are close to 0 and there is a good chance your flight will just be ok.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
You will be rebooked on the next connection available which might not be a direct CPH-ORD but e.g. CPH-EWR-ORD. Often enought they will already have a new connection mapped out when you check-in.

Pro-Tip: Save the local SAS phone number and have your reservation number handy. Then instead of running to the rebooking counter just call in and ask for options.

There are plenty of options to ORD from CPH, e.g. CPH-EWR-ORD, CPH-IAD-ORD, CPH-BOS-ORD (all with first leg on SK, second on UA) or CPH-YYZ-ORD on Air Canada, CPH-FRA-ORD on LH/UA, CPH-MUC-ORD on LH/UA, CPH-WAW-ORD with LOT... and a lot more.

Don't worry. Chances you will get stuck are close to 0 and there is a good chance your flight will just be ok.
Added the Danish contact number to my phone! I know it's unlikely, but I'm the kind of planner that just needs to know how all the logistics work so I can enjoy my trip.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:28 am

Ask them for CPH-ARN-ORD, CPH-WAW-ORD, CPH-FRA-ORD or CPH-MUC-ORD.

It is much better to connect in Europe than in the US
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by manda99
I know this is a very basic question, but I was just looking at the flight stats for SK943 and noticed it's been cancelled twice in the last week. I'm taking that flight in a few weeks and it got me thinking. I've flown domestically and had flights cancelled but it's always either been something where they cancelled a couple days ahead because weather was coming and they informed me or they cancelled my flight but there was another 15 flights that day, so I just got the next one home to Chicago. There's not a lot of flights CPH-ORD though. If they decide to cancel the flight, would they just automatically rebook me on the same flight the next day? Do I have to wait in a horrible line (I've got no status - first time flying SAS).

In preparing for worst case scenarios (because that's what I do), what would I need to do if my flight was cancelled? I'm assuming I can't just rebook online?
SAS will rebook you, not doubt about that, but without status and flying economy (assuming) you need to be on your toes to get a good alternative.
When SAS is rebooking, they are taking those that are on their toes first, then according to you EB/StarAlliance status and booking class.

SAS will try to get your there with max 1 day delay, but for the best alternative (CPH-ARN-ORD) to work you need to know about the cancellation early enough to catch the 11:45am flight to ARN. Otherwise you won't make it to ARN before the ORD plane takes off.
If you don't push them, you would properly be in the worst case case group, which is next day on same flight or same day with a long layover in US, and I agree changing planes in US should be avoided if possible. Specially because domestic flights in US are constantly overbooked, so without any status and flying eco, you have a high risk for a long layover.

Sometimes SAS offers that you can rebook through the SAS app, but I haven't been able to figure out when it's possible and when not, just like I can't figure out when I can do app checkin in US and when not.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:40 am

Check-in via the app only works if the API is filled in and in fact the SAS system thinks it is filled in... I always have it filled in my booking/reservation but 50% of the time the check-in does not work and I have to walk to the counter where I'm told that I did not fill the API...

Rebooking never worked for me via the app, but I'm usually rebooked automatically and get a SMS with my next connection .
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
SAS will rebook you, not doubt about that, but without status and flying economy (assuming) you need to be on your toes to get a good alternative.
When SAS is rebooking, they are taking those that are on their toes first, then according to you EB/StarAlliance status and booking class.
I'm EBG and trying to follow your advice about being on my toes, but it has not helped so far. Just found out that SK940 (LAX-ARN) for 12 April is cancelled. I'm in LA and was supposed to be on that flight. Haven't received a suggestion from SAS re: rebooking, so I thought I'd try to be proactive and called customer service (Swedish number) to make suggestions myself, based upon other promising options available later that day.

I was informed that it would be impossible to re-route me on any other carrier (not even within *A) and that I would have to wait until the following day's SAS flight. I pointed out that this would create unnecessary costs for food, hotel and rental car on this end, and force me to cancel scheduled business meetings in Stockholm, but that made no difference.

When I asked about reimbursement levels and procedures I was informed that no information was available regarding standard compensation for a 24hr. delay, and that all such reimbursements are handled through http://www.flysas.com/feedback

I was also encouraged to wait for the rebooking information that will be sent out via SMS.

When similar delays or cancellations have occurred for us on other airlines that participate in alliances we have always been provided with routing options. Sometimes these have been limited to within the alliance, but not always. I have been under the mistaken impression that SAS would provide a similar service if ever needed. Very disappointed to find out that I have been mistaken regarding that.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You were fed BS. Just call again and say that you want an involuntary rerouting onto another IATA carrier as the flight is cancelled. As it happened within 24h they can just put you onto a *A partner without endorsement.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Daner
When similar delays or cancellations have occurred for us on other airlines that participate in alliances we have always been provided with routing options. Sometimes these have been limited to within the alliance, but not always. I have been under the mistaken impression that SAS would provide a similar service if ever needed. Very disappointed to find out that I have been mistaken regarding that.
That's very poor, and I'm sorry it has been your experience, even with status. It seems strange that they wouldn't route you via ORD, say, on an SK codeshare with UA. Did you try talking to multiple agents (I don't think it would help, I have been in similar situations with SK before).

Have you talked to your travel insurance company? Also, did you ask SK if they would change you to flying SK936 to CPH from SFO tomorrow (and thence on to ARN)? Then you just have to get yourself to SFO, perhaps if you are on UA or VX they might check through your bags, if you have any, since there's an interlining agreement, although I have no experience of this on separate tickets. Then either claim back the LAX-SFO ticket from your insurance company or tell SAS to pay up afterwards.

Just a few more ideas...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
These are the official guidelines to agents:

Cancellations and delays - Standard Procedures
Following guidelines must always be followed in irregularity situations, unless other information is published on the Traffic News page.
Cancellations can be divided into two groups

Cancellations caused by extra ordinary circumstances
Cancellations not caused by extra ordinary circumstances

Cancellations caused by extra ordinary circumstances unable to foresee

Bad weather
Strikes
Technical reasons
Political instability
Security risks
Air Traffic Management decisions

Passengers who are facing a cancellation caused by extra ordinary circumstances are entitled to the following assistance:

Care - meals and refreshments, hotel accommodation for one or more nights if necessary, transport to/from airport and hotel, two phone calls, telex, e-mails or faxes
Rebooking to other SK-flight or return to first point of departure
Refund

Note: Care only apply for SK operated flights and SK wet lease flights.
Cancellations not caused by extra ordinary circumstances planned in advance

If a flight is cancelled in advance, or affected by a schedule change, this is to be considered as "not caused by extra ordinary circumstances".
These types of cancellations or changes, must always be taken care of at least 14 days before scheduled departure.

Passengers holding reservations, affected by cancellation or schedule change in advance, are entitled to the following assistance:

Rebooking to other SK flights within ticket validity, if given alternative is not acceptable
Refund

Delays at airport

Passengers facing delays more than two hours are entitled to care.
Passengers shall be offered care - meals and refreshments, hotel accommodation for one or more nights if necessary, transport to/from airport and hotel, two phone calls, telex, e-mails or faxes when applicable.
Delays more than 3 hours on departure time - point to point

If a flight is delayed more than 3 hours, passengers have the right to reimburse the ticket within 7 days or rebooking to other SK-flight.
Delays more than 3 hours on departure time - in transfer

If rebooking of a transfer flight gives more than 3 hours delay, passengers have the right to reimburse the ticket within 7 days, rebooking to other SK-flight or return to the first point of departure.
Passengers holding One Way tickets

Delays more than 3 hours on departure time - from point of origin
If a flight is delayed more than 3 hours, the passengers have the right to reimburse the ticket within 7 days or rebooking to other SK-flight.

Delays / Cancellations - in transfer
If a flight is delayed and causes a misconnection, the passengers shall be rebooked to next available SK-flight to point of destination.
No refund of used segments.
Delays more than 3 hours on arrival time - point to point

EU compensation may be paid out if delay is not caused by extraordinary circumstances when arriving later than 3 hours after schedule time.
Delays more than 3 hours on arrival time - in transfer
EU compensation may be paid out if rebooking of a transfer flight gives more than 3 hours arrival delay after schedule time, and delay is not caused by extraordinary circumstances.
Updated 10DEC15 14.51
SK can rebook onto others under IATA 752d so stand your ground.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Phone agents are often poorly trained and have absolutely no understanding of the difference between passengers calling in to make voluntary changes and those who must make changes.

Anytime you hit a "no" simply politely end the call and dial back. The one thing to avoid is an argument which causes the agent to note the PNR with the decision. Undoing that can take a lot more work and a lot more supervisory work.

Making arguments about economics and logic won't work. Front-line agents only deal with front-line issues. And it might not be true that rerouting you onto another carrier nets SA more than paying for a hotel and a few meals.

If on your second call, you cannot make progress, simply ask for a manager/supervisor.

As an alternative, take a moment to look at whether there are any last minute fares back to ARN on any other carrier which beat the value of your unused segment. Sometimes there are. If there are, do bear in mind that you are absolutely entitled to a refund of your unused SA ticket segments. You may then purchase whatever you want. If that is a savings, you can save, but you will forfeit your EC 261/2004 claims.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by oliver2002
You were fed BS. Just call again and say that you want an involuntary rerouting onto another IATA carrier as the flight is cancelled. As it happened within 24h they can just put you onto a *A partner without endorsement.
Good advice. If you have a travel agent then ask them to book you on your preferred flight but not to change your ticket. Then go to the airport and ask them to reissue your ticket to those flights.

Phone agents generally have much less leeway in what they are allowed to do compared to airport agents.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: More than one
I'm EBG and trying to follow your advice about being on my toes, but it has not helped so far.
Unfortunately now a days EBG is pretty useless. It gives you lounge access and *A privileges, but that's almost it. You need to be EBD to get any priority or anything at SAS.

Just found out that SK940 (LAX-ARN) for 12 April is cancelled. I'm in LA and was supposed to be on that flight. Haven't received a suggestion from SAS re: rebooking, so I thought I'd try to be proactive and called customer service (Swedish number) to make suggestions myself, based upon other promising options available later that day.
I don't know what time of the day you called, but that BS you were fed is typical if you call outside the hours where everyone can call the SAS customer service. I think they are using a external call center at for the off hours calls.

If you have booked the tickets through a travel agency, they might be able to reroute you, and send the cost to SAS. I don't know the details, but the rules are a little different for cancellations over and under 24 hours.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I mean I would not run after SK to get my flight rescheduled; i just make sure that the arrival delay is 4 hours and more and cash in EUR 600.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Just spoke with a more amenable agent on the US line. She said that because the cancellation was announced more than 24 hours prior to the flight that the standard procedure is to re-book on SAS metal.

I explained that if their goals were truly to improve customer satisfaction and save money, that they could accomplish both by re-booking me onto any one of the other 1-stop flights departing later that afternoon, thus saving themselves from needing to compensate me for an extra night's lodging, etc. and enabling me to get back in time for my Thursday meetings.

She spoke with a supervisor and they both seemed to think that was reasonable. They offered to fly me back LAX>SFO>CPH>ARN, but it leaves earlier than my original flight and that does not work for me. I countered with LAX>FRA>ARN, which works much better for my schedule, minimizes travel time, and eliminates the domestic flight here in the US. For a plan B I suggested the United flight to LHR, followed by SAS to ARN. She has to get approval from Stockholm for either one of those, but promised to call me back once she had spoken with them.

Fingers crossed...

Update: They agreed to LAX>FRA>ARN. I thanked my call agent and her supervisor for their professional help. If they were all that good, things would be better for SAS (and their customers.)

Last edited by Daner; Apr 11, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.