Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Inflight wifi now blocking VPN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador

Aboard one of SK's longhaul flights and while the inflight wifi is working great and as usual an appreciated feature, it now appears they've stopped blocking VPNs? Both corporate VPNs don't work while they did from the lounge and also worked fine inflight just 2 weeks ago. A colleague just confirmed they work fine from "the ground".

Is this yet another tiresome unannounced SK enhancement after making the CPH lounge wifi useless? I was planning to dedicate a few hours to work but can now not access anything. Anyone else having/noticing this problem?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I was planning to dedicate a few hours to work but can now not access anything. Anyone else having/noticing this problem?
I know that the systems used on shorthaul are (probably) completely different, but at least SSH (secure shell) was working on my last wifi-equipped 738 sector on Thursday.

It may not be that they are actively blocking your VPN but that they've fiddled with some router between the plane and the outside world. I've had trouble getting OpenVPN over UDP through firewalls, for example.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Who is the provider of inflight wifi for SK? Have not been on a refurbed plane yet....
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I believe its the Panasonic Satellite service. I'll confirm on my return (if it is not the same plane) if the behaviour is similar and wether this is the new standard. Was hoping for someone else to confirm/deny the same experience so I could also contact SK about it.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I believe its the Panasonic Satellite service. I'll confirm on my return (if it is not the same plane) if the behaviour is similar and wether this is the new standard. Was hoping for someone else to confirm/deny the same experience so I could also contact SK about it.
Reason for asking is that I have used VPN via a couple of providers on other airlines, so if same provider, clearly SK faffing about.
Most frequently I use JAL which is via Telekom (Deutsche Telekom).
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:58 am

I haven't been able to get useful speeds on longhaul, so to me it's moot. Btw, are the routes where intra-eu wifi is common? I know it's only a few 738s but I've missed them entirely somehow
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:08 am
Original Poster

The speed isn't the issue, I need the use the VPN to access pages which are of negligible size but I can't access them otherwise.

Having in-flight wifi intra-Europe is extremely uncommon on SK. I've never been on a plane that had it and there are no clear indications they are going to roll it out further. Unlike longhaul where every new and refurbished plane has it.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
I too have flown many intra-Europe flights on SK 738s without ever running across the mythical in-flight WiFi.

Having in-flight wifi intra-Europe is extremely uncommon on SK. I've never been on a plane that had it and there are no clear indications they are going to roll it out further. Unlike longhaul where every new and refurbished plane has it.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daner
I too have flown many intra-Europe flights on SK 738s without ever running across the mythical in-flight WiFi.
I have not heard that they ever expanded it beyond the initial 10 737-800, which is not that many to begin with and basically eliminates the CPH to Europe changes. Is the 737 fleet fixed on the bases in OSL and ARN, or do they alternate their home between the two? Maybe the WiFi birds does a lot Norwegian domestic?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
I've only ever had working 738 wifi on short Norwegian domestics.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:40 am
Original Poster

I meant to test the VPN case on the return, which was on a different airplane, except now the entire wifi was broken/off-line so I was not able to.

My next longhaul isn't for another 2 weeks, if anyone else is able to confirm intermediately that would be well appreciated so we can escalate it to SK.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:52 am

Will try on my flight today.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:10 pm

OpenVPN style VPN works at least in the SK EWR lounge - with impressive speed by the way. Will test in-flight later.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:46 pm

works in the air... at least OpenVPN over UDP and TCP. L2TP/IPSec, PPTP and SSTP do not connect (my VPN offers all 5 options)
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Right, my PPTP and L2TP stopped working as of last week. What aircraft are you on? I had the problems on LN-RKR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.