Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New Diamond member - What to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold

Just three days before the end of my qualifying period I managed to sneak above the 90k threshold. I have had a few extraordinary C-trips this year so I guess this will be a one-time-only for me and most probably I will be back to EBG in 2017.

So my question: What can I expect as a EBD when travelling SK and *A? I know what it says in the official welcome email from SK but I am curious to hear from follow EBD travelers about how things are in the real world. Any special recognition? Better luck on op-up's? Any difference when travelling on *A flights? The greatest benefit about being EBD? Other things I should be aware of?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:48 pm

No difference on *A flights, for the alliance member airlines you are still a Gold tier frequent flyer.

On SK you get free non-alcoholic drinks in Go on the Internet-European routes, occasionally a curtesy upgrade on long haul, a couple of targeted bargain offers, a dedicated customer service mail (agents are quite responsive in my experience) and priority on the customer service phone lines (very useful) but you will certainly not get special recognition by the flight crew.

One very useful benefit is, you can give away a Gold card to another EB member - oh... And draw one piece from the goody bag of useless things

In the end not a huge step up from Gold but this year a couple of nice enhancements were made... Still lot to improve.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Noooooooothiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiing

Lounge on arrival can be nice when landing early morning in CPH from a long-haul. That's it. Oh, I almost forgot about tableware of questionable quality as your gift.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue: Platinum, SAS Eurobonus: Gold, Accor: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
On SK you get free non-alcoholic drinks in Go on the Internet-European routes,
You can get also alcoholic drinks - never had problem getting wine or beer showing my Diamond card.
In some cases in *A be prepared that your Diamond card would not be recognized. Last week I was struggling with Lounge dragon in Warsaw explaining that Diamond is higher than Gold - she did not have Diamond card on the list so didn't want to let me in. "You must have Gold card, sir - Diamond is not enough"
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by zuchu
In some cases in *A be prepared that your Diamond card would not be recognized. Last week I was struggling with Lounge dragon in Warsaw explaining that Diamond is higher than Gold - she did not have Diamond card on the list so didn't want to let me in. "You must have Gold card, sir - Diamond is not enough"
Yes, had the same in Toronto. Denied lounge access and priority boarding. The AC system couldn't even resolve the EBD to *G and just recorded basic membership. The "Star Alliance Gold" logo on the card didn't impress the AC ladies a bit and they denied: "If the computer doesn't say you're Gold, you are not Gold! End of discusssion."

Very annoying.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
The AC ladies in Toronto are extremely strict (and often not that well-informed). Earlier this year they insisted that my guest must be on the same flight...
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
All contract lounges seem to have that problem and specifically AC indeed, doesn't matter if it is YYZ, YUL or YVR. I just pulled up the EB levels and perks page and convicted them but I really shouldn't have to.

Some locations in Europe where an issue as well, AMS and FCO for example.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: EBD (*G), Le Club Gold
On SK you get free non-alcoholic drinks in Go on the Internet-European routes
You get any drinks free in Go on all flights, except domestic flights where it is only non-alcoholic.

but you will certainly not get special recognition by the flight crew.
I haven't recived much recognition either, except in one situation: I went CPH-IAD in economy, and a steward came to me straight after takeoff and asked if I wanted a drink for free. I ordered a G&T, and he told me to just ask if I wanted more drinks.

One very useful benefit is, you can give away a Gold card to another EB member - oh... And draw one piece from the goody bag of useless things
This is actually quite useful ^
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Thanks for the feedback.

Did any of you experience more up-op's as EBD? I have been EBG since 2005 and I have had very few of these pleasant surprises over the years. Especially on intra-European destination I think SK could be better at upgrading some of their most loyal customers. Not so much for the food/drink as for more space around you (I often find the Plus cabin to be quite empty - and I am not talking about squeezing EBD pax into idle middle seats in Plus).
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:23 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Yes, had the same in Toronto. Denied lounge access and priority boarding. The AC system couldn't even resolve the EBD to *G and just recorded basic membership. The "Star Alliance Gold" logo on the card didn't impress the AC ladies a bit and they denied: "If the computer doesn't say you're Gold, you are not Gold! End of discusssion."

Very annoying.
I got in at the international Maple Leaf Lounge at Toronto with no problems in May. *G was on the boarding pass.

Free drinks in Go (also for companion) and Gold card for another person are the main perks.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
You get quite a lot of upgrades on longhaul SK metal (but mostly one cabin class and not two...).
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by danishpatches
You get any drinks free in Go on all flights, except domestic flights where it is only non-alcoholic.
....and don't expect anything if you fly Copenhagen-Berlin. They claim that it's too short to serve anything for Diamond members!!!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:08 pm

I actually had a recent experience as diamond that, while at first annoyed me, now gave me faith.

Long story short, I was in long haul Go back to CPH, I had allocate exit rows but due to 3 equip changes, I lost the exit row each time and had to manually re-allocate. Except last time I could not and got allocated a crap seat.

I went to the airport early and told the agent about my issue. I first asked for a points upgrade but was told none where available. I then asked if I could be re-assigned an exit row and the agent told me all were assigned but he would put a note on my file to see what they could do.

In the end, the agent managed to put me in business for the points of a plus to business upgrade rather than a full upgrade. I was very thankful.

Once back home I wrote to SAS and complained politely about the original issue. I understand equip changes but they should take care to ensure elite ff seat allocations are retained. I also praised the agent for his excellent customer care.

The response was an apology and a refund of the points for the upgrade meaning I ended up with a no points upgrade as compensation for a loss of exit row allocation. Very fair in my book and an excellent result. Seems SAS are not so bad. In fact, I would rate this as a very good outcome so credit where it is due.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by raldat
In fact, I would rate this as a very good outcome so credit where it is due.
There should be a "I like it" button on FT posts.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
A very small but a very pleasant point on a short European short haul today in GO. It was a morning flight, and I was quite tired. I snoozed for about 30 minutes (may be a bit more than snoozed ). After I woke up the service was already over but an FA passing by noticed that I woke up and asked me personally whether I absolutely do not miss anything, and whether I don't want anything to drink. In 30 minutes, just before landing, another FA came and asked again whether I do not need a drink. I thanked politely as I did not really needed anything, but it was really pleasant to see that they care. A very good crew !

And seat blocking worked for once for me :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.