Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS enters into agreements with Cityjet for wet lease and sale of Blue1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS enters into agreements with Cityjet for wet lease and sale of Blue1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Flew on a WX CR9 for the first time recently. Some brief observations:
  • As with other wet lease operations, onboard service is standard SAS. I was upgraded at the gate to Plus; breakfast was served.
  • EI-FPA has a "new plane smell" still, and the leather seats and wood effect on the front bulkhead look very classy. Somehow (perhaps it is just my perception) it feels much more cramped than the CR9s operated by Cimber and I had to do the tyrannosaurus arms thing to eat and type on my laptop. I'd much rather be in a front row seat than anywhere else.
  • Both the flight and cabin crew appeared to be Finnish, and the service was conducted in Finnish (I suppose I had a vanishingly tiny expectation that they would be Irish). I did not recognise any of them from KF. An announcement from the captain started off in Finnish, but he stopped himself and switched to English. Perhaps there is a WX company policy to prefer only English for announcements?
  • The cabin crew did not appear to be familiar with the aircraft, or the order in which things were done in the safety demonstration, but seemed very familiar with the soft product. This does not worry me, it will take a few weeks for everyone to learn the location of everything.

All in all though, I think I'd rather be on a KF 717 given the cramped feel of the CR9, but it's not too bad.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by klmml
[*]An announcement from the captain started off in Finnish, but he stopped himself and switched to English. Perhaps there is a WX company policy to prefer only English for announcements?
It would be a major improvement to SK service if they adopted that policy for all SK flights. The endless intercom hogging with irrelevant nonsense information in 3 languages going on for the first 25 minutes of the flight, not allowing you to focus on reading or work is massive annoyance.

Nobody cares about the service, the service items, the weather, the flight time or other useless information. People care even less about hearing it in 2 or 3 different languages by a FA that struggles with the ones that are not their native tongue.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
It would be a major improvement to SK service if they adopted that policy for all SK flights. The endless intercom hogging with irrelevant nonsense information in 3 languages going on for the first 25 minutes of the flight, not allowing you to focus on reading or work is massive annoyance.
Hah, it's funny you should say that. It seems the recorded "welcome on board, now shut up, fasten your seatbelts and put your laptop away" announcement on these planes is in pairs of languages: English and Finnish, English and Swedish, English and Danish, and can't be turned off once started (or the cabin crew did not know how). Therefore we had to endure 10 minutes of hearing this announcement over and over again in various languages.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: More than one

Nobody cares about the service, the service items, the weather, the flight time or other useless information. People care even less about hearing it in 2 or 3 different languages by a FA that struggles with the ones that are not their native tongue.
I agree that for an frequent flyer it's useless information, but not everyone is frequent flyer and neither my parents or other family members in that age group understand English enough to get much useful information from the English speech.
I just put in my earplugs ... soon as I'm seated and start reading the news papers I picked up in the lounge. The information speeches doesn't really bother me.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Usually the security information has a summary in another language. All other information is really irrelevant. What sandwich they serve today, what you can buy, what is included, flight time, meals served in business, plus and coach on longhaul etc. Nothing that can't be solved using screens or flyers, no need to bother your passengers. Loosing 20 minutes on a 1-2 hour flight where you want to prepare for meetings but can't due to the highly unnecessary intercom messages isn't an improvement.

Board, security briefing, fly to destination, security briefing for landing, land. No need to use the intercom otherwise, let people sleep/work/read/concentrate.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: More than one
Usually the security information has a summary in another language. All other information is really irrelevant. What sandwich they serve today, what you can buy, what is included, flight time, meals served in business, plus and coach on longhaul etc. Nothing that can't be solved using screens or flyers, no need to bother your passengers. Loosing 20 minutes on a 1-2 hour flight where you want to prepare for meetings but can't due to the highly unnecessary intercom messages isn't an improvement.

Board, security briefing, fly to destination, security briefing for landing, land. No need to use the intercom otherwise, let people sleep/work/read/concentrate.
My recommendation. Buy some earplugs. They help a lot, and actually might save you from tinnitus later in your life.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
My recommendation. Buy some earplugs. They help a lot, and actually might save you from tinnitus later in your life.
^ I agree and done that with noise cancelling ear phones. Still having tinnitus though.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Which one is better to sit on WX; 1A or 3F? Is there a difference between these two bulkhead rows?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Which one is better to sit on WX; 1A or 3F? Is there a difference between these two bulkhead rows?
I've not sat in the front row yet, but the layout and seats (if not the seat covers and 'newness' of the padding) are the same as on QA. I haven't measured the legroom, but I'd personally choose 2F for privacy and being further away from the toilet.

Also, i've been on a remote stand at both ends 4/4 times so far on WX, so any advantage of being the very first off is minimal; plus one has to wait for the bags to be loaded onto the little trolley.

PS: I note that at least some flights operated by QA are no longer shown as "operated by Cimber" on the SAS website, but still show as such on Google Flights and ExpertFlyer. I wonder why; are they changing hands internally?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klmml
I've not sat in the front row yet, but the layout and seats (if not the seat covers and 'newness' of the padding) are the same as on QA. I haven't measured the legroom, but I'd personally choose 2F for privacy and being further away from the toilet.
Thank you! And yes, it is 2F I've in my bookings so far.

What about normal size cabin baggage; no chance that it will fit in to the overhead bin even in Plus on CRJ-900?
I have never been on board CRJ until in this month.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
What about normal size cabin baggage; no chance that it will fit in to the overhead bin even in Plus on CRJ-900?
I have never been on board CRJ until in this month.
They will probably want you to check it before you board the aircraft. On boarding, the gate agent will (if they are paying attention) hand you a "delivery at aircraft" tag, which you (or they) attach to your bag. You then put your bag on the trolley just outside the aircraft door.

Upon disembarking, your bag will be on a similar trolley. They don't start to let passengers off the plane until at least some of the "delivery at aircraft" bags are on this trolley. It does not go into the standard luggage system.

My Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45 bag fits if it's not too full. I think you might have a bad time if you have a maximum-size, hard case bag.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:29 am
Original Poster

CRJ-900 cabin baggage

Good info klmml ^
I have Rimowa 55x40x20; I tend to avoid checking it to the hold. Well I have to used to it with this aircraft. Even if Plus is not full... So far I'm only one there in all of my bookings.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:20 am

Enjoy your flight. The CR9s feel much more cramped than the Embraer 170/190 series, but they're not too bad. I'd rather be on a CR9 than any turboprop...
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:24 pm

The bulkhead seats in the CRJ are not a good choice imho. Less room than in a row with seats in front of you to my personal feeling (haven't measured it)

The overhead bins are really small. In almost all cases they will force you to gate check the carry-ons which are larger than a backpack or very small roller/spinner
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Actually fairly large cabin bags fit (as long as they are quite narrow), but the GAs will often apply a simple heuristics. If it has wheels then it has to be gate checked I know that my trolley fits, but still often leave it at the stairs at boarding, to avoid discussions. I value my energy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.