Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by herro
It is now official that SAS will on September 8th launch a new ticket type called SAS Go Light.

This is without luggage, but still with free seat allocation, bonuspoints etc.

Also a positive thing is that for EB's with higher status the "no luggage" part does not count.

In my world still something that is naturally and it is a better product that compared with BA or LH where elite members also have to pay for it.

More here in Danish

What do your think on this product that is different from the other big airlines?
Good point about the elite status benefit being kept on the SK HBO fares. That is quite a standout compared to BA and LH.
On BA, I never pay for checked luggage even as they do have those baggage-only fares which indeed are set to block free checked luggage even for BA/OW elites. It will be interesting to see how soon SK elites lose the free luggage allowance on the SK hand-baggage-only fares.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Good point about the elite status benefit being kept on the SK HBO fares. That is quite a standout compared to BA and LH.
On BA, I never pay for checked luggage even as they do have those baggage-only fares which indeed are set to block free checked luggage even for BA/OW elites. It will be interesting to see how soon SK elites lose the free luggage allowance on the SK hand-baggage-only fares.
From my location in Finland I think/hope that they will watch Finnair closely. Their policy is similar to SAS' new approach. And for me removing it will make the other one immediately more attractive.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The terms/details:

Code:
 New concept SAS Go Light
Effective 08SEP15, SAS will introduce a new concept, SAS Go Light, on selected European destinations.

SAS Go Light is a new concept to expand the offer to our customers who want to travel light, those who are looking for lower prices and does not have the need to travel with checked baggage.

SAS Go Light will be available in the same booking classes as SAS Go, but will be offered to a lower fare than SAS Go and exclude checked baggage allowance in the ticket.
    It will be possible to buy checked baggage, as well as other additional services, from time of reservation until departure. For passengers who want to travel with checked baggage, it will be more favorable to buy a SAS Go ticket with baggage included.
    SAS Go Light is an additional customer offer to our current product offering SAS Go and SAS Plus, which will remain unchanged.
    Eurobonus tier level benefits will remain unchanged, e.g. baggage allowance.
    SAS Go Light customers will have the same service on board as SAS Go and for now SAS Go Light passengers will earn same amount of EuroBonus points as a passenger travelling in SAS Go.
    SAS Go Light is available on all SK routes between Scandinavia and Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Netherlands and Spain.
    Note: All code share routes are excluded. SAS Go Light is not available on routes within Scandinavia: domestic and/or intrascandinavian routes.

Booking classes and fare basis

SAS Go Light will be available in all booking classes below.  
Booking class 	Fare basis
One way 	Fare basis
Round trip  
E 	E*OLIGHT 	E*RLIGHT
M 	M*OLIGHT 	M*RLIGHT
H 	H*OLIGHT 	H*RLIGHT
Q 	Q*OLIGHT 	Q*RLIGHT
W 	W*OLIGHT 	W*RLIGHT
U 	U*OLIGHT 	U*RLIGHT
K 	K*OLIGHT 	K*RLIGHT
L 	L*OLIGHT 	L*RLIGHT
T 	T*OLIGHT 	T*RLIGHT
O 	O*OLIGHT 	O*RLIGHT

* Indicates variation in fare basis, depending on point of commencement of travel:
D = Denmark, N = Norway, S = Sweden, E = All other markets.

Fares will be available for all SAS offices and agents in all GDS’es.

SAS Go Light is filed as a private fare with a Corporate code as per below. 
Amadeus 	Galileo 	Sabre 	 Worldspan
513058 	BAG07 	BAG07 	BAG07
Fare and pricing input

Amadeus
Fare Display SAS Go Light: FQDSTOPAR/R,U513058
Fare Display SAS Go Light + SAS Go: FQDSTOPAR/R,U513058, P  
Fare Quote SAS Go Light: FXP/R,U513058 
Fare Quote SAS Go Light + SAS Go: FXP/R,U513058, P  

Galileo
Fare Display SAS Go Light: FDSTOPAR15JUL/SK-PRI-BAG07:P
Fare Quote SAS Go Light: FQ-ABAG07:SEK
Sabre
Fare Display SAS Go Light: FQSTOPAR14JUL-SKĄPVĄIUSMK01
Fare Quote SAS Go Light: WPAC*BAG07                                           

Worldspan
Fare Display SAS Go Light: 4FBGOAMS14JULSR-SK/@@BAG07     
Fare Quote SAS Go Light: 4PFSRĄ/@@BAG07
Markets

Fares will be available for purchase from/to all SK operated points in Scandinavia from/to the following SK operated points in below European markets:
Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Netherlands and Spain

SAS Go Light is available for travel from Scandinavia and Europe and from Europe to Scandinavia 
    SAS Go Light is possible to combine with other SAS fares: SAS Go and SAS Plus
    SAS Go Light is not combinable with SAS Corporate Net Fares
    SAS Go Light is not available on code share flights

Origin and destinations

Fares will be available for purchase on SK routes between below origin and destinations.

Note: Above origin and destinations are subject to change. 
Excess baggage charges

For passengers travelling in SAS Go Light, it will be possible to buy checked baggage as an ancillary service from time of reservation until departure. 
It is also possible to add baggage for passengers travelling in SAS Go or SAS Plus.
Note: Charge is higher when purchasing baggage at airport. 
	Off airport 	At airport
European routes with SAS Go Light concept
Valid for SAS Go Light, SAS Go and SAS Plus 	DKK 169
NOK 185
SEK 199
EUR 25 	DKK 500
NOK 540
SEK 600
EUR 66

All other European routes
Valid for SAS Go and SAS Plus
	DKK 379
NOK 409
SEK 439
EUR 51  	DKK 500
NOK 540
SEK 600
EUR 66

SAS Concept overview - short haul routes  
	SAS Go Light * 	SAS Go 	SAS Plus
Checked baggage 	For purchase 	1 bag á 23 kg 	2 bags á 23 kg
Hand baggage 	1 x 8 kg 	1 x 8 kg 	1 x 8 kg
Rebooking 	Yes** - against a fee 
700 DKK, NOK, SEK 	Yes - against a fee
500 DKK, NOK, SEK 	es 
Refund 	No 	No 	Yes
Fast Track 	No 	No 	Yes
Lounge 	For purchase 	For purchase 	Yes
EuroBonus points 	Yes 	Yes 	Yes
Seat reservation 	For purchase 	For purchase 	Yes
Coffee and Tea 	Yes 	Yes 	Yes
Food 	For purchase 	For purchase 	Yes

* SAS Go Light is only available on selected SK operated European destinations.
** Rebooking is possible within SAS Go Light or to SAS Plus.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Do I read it correctly that SAS would want 25 euro for a bag in Go Light when booked online? That's three times the price Norwegian asks...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The tables and graphics:

View Screen Capture

View Screen Capture

View Screen Capture

Weird that it is only to some European destinations...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When BA started with the HBO fares, it too was only for a small set of intra-Europe routes. Over time, the routes on which it was offered grew.

Is SAS route network and the loyalty program angle enough of a reason to ignore the bag fees for intra-European travel? Certainly ought not to be for all, especially if a DY option is relatively comparable otherwise.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 14, 2015 at 1:49 am
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I don't much like the sentence ' ...will have same service on board as Sas Go and FOR NOW earn same amount of eurobonuspoints.....' in their statement.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
can someone remind me again whats the selling point of SAS vs Norwegian now? If the price is the same, Norwegian wins.

Benefits of Norwegian:
- New planes
- Free internet
- Earn Cashpoints

Benefits of SAS:
- Earn Eurobonus points
- Free coffee&tea
- No CC fee

So, if you pay with a debit card; you can basically choose between free internet or free coffee/tea?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bludnik
can someone remind me again whats the selling point of SAS vs Norwegian now? If the price is the same, Norwegian wins.

Benefits of Norwegian:
- New planes
- Free internet
- Earn Cashpoints

Benefits of SAS:
- Earn Eurobonus points
- Free coffee&tea
- No CC fee

So, if you pay with a debit card; you can basically choose between free internet or free coffee/tea?
With the MD80s long gone, I am not sure that the SK short haul fleet is that much older than the DY fleet.

Though the irregular travel might never experience it, irrops handling goes in favour of SK.

I think the point is to compete on price comparison website, people will not care what they get, only what the initial price says. So no choices between different services, just pure numbers.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by bludnik

Benefits of Norwegian:
- New planes
- Free internet
- Earn Cashpoints

Benefits of SAS:
- Earn Eurobonus points
- Free coffee&tea
- No CC fee

Benefits of SAS
Usually betting timing on their flights
Usually higher frequency
Always flies to main airports (which DY does in many but not all cases)
A LOT better in case of iregularities - truly in completely different leagues (and this alone is enough to keep DY on my no-fly list)
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Benefits of SAS
Usually betting timing on their flights
Usually higher frequency
Always flies to main airports (which DY does in many but not all cases)
A LOT better in case of iregularities - truly in completely different leagues (and this alone is enough to keep DY on my no-fly list)
I guess the main benefit is that SK has a wider network, counting in Star Alliance destinations no way that DY comes even close to that. Also all benefits associated to *G will make me choose SK over DY if both come at roughly the same cost.

Which is of course more a pro for business travelers as the casual tourist will look for good fare deals and probably limit the choice of destinations to places which are served by a cheap flight.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I guess they might use the light concept to carry more cargo on those routes. Is it true that you save 100kr by not having any check bag? If it's the case then the discount is really not substantial.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
I guess they might use the light concept to carry more cargo on those routes. Is it true that you save 100kr by not having any check bag? If it's the case then the discount is really not substantial.
The cost of actually moving and carrying one bag is not really substantial, so the discount is never going to be substantial.

I doubt cargo is a consideration, most of these routes are fairly short and unlikely to be loaded to capacity of the plane.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by nacho
Is it true that you save 100kr by not having any check bag? If it's the case then the discount is really not substantial.
It depends on the price you paid for the ticket. They offered yesterday ARN- HAM for 299kr. Saving 100kr more is not substantial?

As long as they only cut the checked baggage where should the big discount come from? In the US there is the proposal to cap the checked baggage fee at 4.5$ to reflect the real cost. So the saving for SK is probably not so substantial. LH gives you a 20€ discount and there are more differences than just the removed checked baggage.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:10 am

At launch the HBO fares will be a bit lower than the current low low fares, then they raise that to the old levels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.