Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Taking an earlier flight, current booking overbooked flight, short transfer time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking an earlier flight, current booking overbooked flight, short transfer time

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold

Dear all,
I will be flying tomorrow from AMS via CPH to ATH. The flight is overbooked between AMS and CPH. The transfer time at CPH is 30min. I have two questions:
1. If I go early to Schiphol, what are the chances I can ask to take an earlier Star Alliance flight (Lufthansa) to Athens via MUC (LH2303, LH1752) instead of SAS?
2. Do you think due to summer and an overload of passengers, that I can make my 30 minutes transfer?

Many thanks,

SB
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: EBD, HHDiamond
Hi SB,

Don't know regarding the first question, but for the second one, I have done it with 30-35 min. CPH-layover many times; All with success! It seems that they have become better at placing the planes next to each other (at the B-finger), so don't worry.

The critical thing is although if you check-in your baggage!
Dont rely on it will make it through CPH.
I have might been extremely unlucky, but - in this year alone - out of 4 connections in CPH (with checked baggage) ONLY 1 of them made it through 'together' with me... Quite annoying when it happens on the outbound, but almost only a pleasure when it happens on the return-trip (to get your heavy suitcase transported all the way to the front-door on the 4th floor in a building without an elevator...) :-)

Good luck!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:56 pm

Chances to get rebooked are very very small. I would say close to zero.

You can be lucky to change SAS flights in an SAS hub but hardly at an station like AMS with contracted staff and definitely not if it involves booking on a different carrier / changing the routing.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
1) Zero. Any overbooked CPH-ATH flight will be dealt with in CPH, not AMS. If you volunteer for VDB (rerouting against compensation) at CPH you may find yourself on LH flights CPH-MUC/FRA-ATH with a nice amount of cash in your hand.

2) You should be fine with 30 min. transfer at CPH. Transfer is really easy. Your biggest concern is your checked-in luggage though. It may not make the transfer - but then go shopping in Athens and claim reimbursement with your travel Insurance afterwards
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SK AAR
1) Zero. Any overbooked CPH-ATH flight will be dealt with in CPH, not AMS. If you volunteer for VDB (rerouting against compensation) at CPH you may find yourself on LH flights CPH-MUC/FRA-ATH with a nice amount of cash in your hand.
OP says the flight is overbooked between AMS and CPH.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

If AMS-CPH in fact turns out to be overbooked and VDB's are needed, yes the OP may very well be rebooked on LH to ATH (or a direct KLM flight if there is one; often the agents will be quite flexible in this situation so just ask for your preferred routing). There is no point in rebooking the OP to the next available AMS-CPH flight, when there is only 1 daily CPH-ATH SK flight.

But obvioulsy, the OP will not be rebooked in advance; the OP will have to wait until it is clear whether or not VDB's are needed, i.e. shortly before departure of the original flight. So there is no point in going to airport early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.