Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Longhaul Gremlins [Irregular Operations Ticker]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Longhaul Gremlins [Irregular Operations Ticker]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 6:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Don't get the Boeing name confused here: its Boeing acting as a MRO, just like LHT, SR Technics, etc.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by fassy
Replacement engines are not easy to get... e.g. SAS sold some (all?) of their spare engines last year as far as I remember. And some exotic spare parts might be hard to get in short time as well. I used to work for on-board courier service and flying spare parts for aircraft on the ground was part of the routine - often 2 to 4 days to get the parts needed was considered normal - even though not desired.
I would assume a big maintenance company like Boeing maintenance department would have at least 1 spare 787 engine ready in Europa. I understand why SAS wont have spare engines anymore, but I would assume Boeing would do maintenance on more than just the few norwegian 787, and therefore have a bigger turnaround on spare engines

Originally Posted by fassy
It is not that simple. Why should Boeing take responsibility for a 3rd party contributed part? Maintenance and service contracts for airliners are pretty complex agreements and as far as I know especially for the engines neither airbus nor Boeing take responsibility.
It's common practice in the world of outsources services. In the IT world it's quite normal that the outsourcing partner have full end to end responsibility despite 90-100% of the software and applications are delivered by other companies. In one of the outsourcing contracts I work on my company only provide about 10 FTW's in total, and this is incl. account managers etc. The rest we outsourced to other companies, where they provide a total of 100-150 FTE's. Our contract with the client is end to end responsibility for all IT whether it's data centers, LAN/WAN network, offices, PC's, phones, fax machines etc.
This contract is one of the most sub outsourced contracts I've ever seen, but I see the same in all areas of the outsourcing world, and not just in IT. The outsourcing companies gets more and more specialized and the companies who do the outsourcing don't want to be the interface between the outsourcing companies.

Last edited by highupinthesky; May 25, 2017 at 3:18 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Don't get the Boeing name confused here: its Boeing acting as a MRO, just like LHT, SR Technics, etc.
The name isn't really relevant. It's more relevant whether the outsourcing company has the end to end responsibility or not.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:42 am

June 15, 2017 - SK 901 to depart CPH at least 2 1/2 hours late... Plane going to EWR is just arriving CPH now as SK 996. Hope this does not happen on tomorrow's flight... my In-Laws are flying 901 tomorrow!!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by ITALady
June 15, 2017 - SK 901 to depart CPH at least 2 1/2 hours late... Plane going to EWR is just arriving CPH now as SK 996. Hope this does not happen on tomorrow's flight... my In-Laws are flying 901 tomorrow!!
Depends on how much you like your in-laws. Worst case could be a cancellation (or bump) and they tell SAS they can spend another day with you.

2.5 hours delays can be make up quite easily. I would not worry too much. If anything, hope for some 30 minutes of extra delays and the 600€ compensation@:-)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
SK901 arrived EWR with a delay of <2 hours yesterday (15 June) so this is within the time spread that needs to be accepted (without compensation).
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Same rolling delay affecting SK935 to SFO today; left nearly four hours late from CPH, expected to land with a 3:15h delay. Will this entitle me to full EU compensation, or is there a reduced amount for delays less than four hours?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by christvs
Same rolling delay affecting SK935 to SFO today; left nearly four hours late from CPH, expected to land with a 3:15h delay. Will this entitle me to full EU compensation, or is there a reduced amount for delays less than four hours?
Reduced amount, 50% of full compensation. (Assuming that SAS can't successfully argue that the delay is outside of their control).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: United
I'm booked on SK902 EWR -> CPH on June 29 and noticed they sent me a revised itinerary. Instead of seat 6H, I'm now booked in seat 4G, which didn't exist on the original seat map. The seat map of the new plane from checkmyflight.com shows a 2-2-2 configuration instead of the 1-2-1 of the original plane.

So I guess that means no lie-flat seat for me??? That sucks if true. I paid for biz class just for that.

Last edited by westchester; Jun 19, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by westchester
I'm booked on SK901 on June 29 and noticed they sent me a revised itinerary. Instead of seat 6H, I'm now booked in seat 4G, which didn't exist on the original seat map. The seat map of the new plane from checkmyflight.com shows a 2-2-2 configuration instead of the 1-2-1 of the original plane.

So I guess that means no lie-flat seat for me??? That sucks if true. I paid for biz class just for that.
It means that the flighht will be operated by the A340 with registration LN-RKP, or at least it is planned to be at the moment. It is the SK back up plane, that seems to be doing a bit more regular flying these days. J is full flat, it is the an old LAN Chile configuration. If you search for the LN-RKP in the forum, you will find extensive discussions on it. I think even in this thread.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It means that the flighht will be operated by the A340 with registration LN-RKP, or at least it is planned to be at the moment. It is the SK back up plane, that seems to be doing a bit more regular flying these days. J is full flat, it is the an old LAN Chile configuration. If you search for the LN-RKP in the forum, you will find extensive discussions on it. I think even in this thread.
Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:47 am

Does anyone know if there are in-seat power outlets in business class on LN-RNK?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:50 am
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
Originally Posted by westchester
Does anyone know if there are in-seat power outlets in business class on LN-RNK?
Yes all Business Class seats have power outlets.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by BCC
Yes all Business Class seats have power outlets.
Thanks! I thought I'd ask since I'm used to flying United and it's really a toss-up whether you get an outlet or not with them.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: SK *G
Anyone who knows what happened to HB-JJA yesterday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.