Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SAS long haul routes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:18 am

BKK doesn't seem to be profitable enough for SAS.... They got enough competition with Thai Airways, not to mention QA, EK, and AY.. It's highly likely that BKK doesn't fit in their new route expansion anymore.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
+ BKK would lead to the aircraft standing idle at BKK for several hours before returning to CPH around midnight BKK time.

I would love to see SK return to BKK, but as stated above the competition for BKK is fierce and fares via European or MEA hubs are quite low (except on the direct TG flights ); BKK is no longer a business/high revenue destination which would make it difficuly for SK to make BKK profitable.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
But you can also talk about that for HKG too - it's a serious cutthroat route and they are flying there (don't know for how long).

I thought most long haul flights have several hours for turnaround to ensure on time departure.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I don't you think you can really compare BKK and HKG as destinations. The only reason BKK was in demand earlier is because of the strange vacation status it has in Scandinavia. Something that doesn't extend to the same density in the rest of Europe. Because of that it is now only served by the incumbent and LLC's. In most cases HKG is a business destination.

Today there are only 2 *A options a day with (in my opinion) terrible timing. The only direct flight in the Scandinavian/Baltic region is with AY, same terrible timing and less feeder flights. There is considerable demand for HKG and definitely room for an additional direct *A flight.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
But you can also talk about that for HKG too - it's a serious cutthroat route and they are flying there (don't know for how long).

I thought most long haul flights have several hours for turnaround to ensure on time departure.
On the old time table, BKK had around 10 hours on the ground. It left CPH 22:45 arrived around 14 in Bangkok and left after midnight for a 6:30 arrival in Copenhagen (roughly from memory). Normally long hauls turn in 2 to 3 hours, which was also why they for a long time had the add on to Singapore, to use the bird for something.
Adjusting the BKK timetable with no down time for the plane seems to be challenging, and European airlines generally have their planes in BKK for a long time.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
On the old time table, BKK had around 10 hours on the ground. It left CPH 22:45 arrived around 14 in Bangkok and left after midnight for a 6:30 arrival in Copenhagen (roughly from memory).
Yes, correct. Just looked up a past reservation:

SK973
Sched Depart: 22:50 Copenhagen Terminal 3
Sched Arrive: 14:45 Sep 30 Bangkok -
Total journey time 10:55 hrs

SK 972
Sched Depart: 00:25 Bangkok -
Sched Arrive: 06:35 Copenhagen Terminal 3
Total journey time 11:10 hrs

For me, the timings were pretty good. Liked it.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
10 hours is a lot - most of the long haul I flew from HKG have about 6 hours turnaround time (gets in at HKG around 16-17 and depart from 23-midnight-ish).

I definitely think there should be a market for BKK it's still a popular tourist destination - TK has 2 flights going there per day (not sure it's 7 days/week though).
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by nacho
10 hours is a lot - most of the long haul I flew from HKG have about 6 hours turnaround time (gets in at HKG around 16-17 and depart from 23-midnight-ish).

I definitely think there should be a market for BKK it's still a popular tourist destination - TK has 2 flights going there per day (not sure it's 7 days/week though).
Yes, during vacation time there could be a market but for the normal every day flight? I have been on that route like 4 times in 2011 and 5 times in 2012 - and on all of those flights C was a bout 25%, Plus 10% and Economy at best 30% full. I was mostly flying out on Saturday for a fresh Monday morning and back on Friday night.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Would it technically be possible to have 2 flights alternating, so 1 doing CPH-BKK-CPH one day and say CPH-some closer destination-CPH the other day.

"Some closer" destination could be any destination, say 8h away.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by tgj1974
Would it technically be possible to have 2 flights alternating, so 1 doing CPH-BKK-CPH one day and say CPH-some closer destination-CPH the other day.

"Some closer" destination could be any destination, say 8h away.
Yes, why not. A lot of machines serve two different routes anyway. They are not always flyIng exclusive on one and not all destinations have daily flights.

The biggest problem is that every new destination will add cost since you need to ensure operations there. So the flights there need to offset the cost in a way to make it a profitable business.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Yes please!!
Originally Posted by Oflyt
That would be awesome! Would love to read a trip report. Pictures are welcome
Will see what I can do. It's midnight now and my next flight leaves tomorrow at 8 again.

Anyway, good news! You can still earn EB points on the Discover Norway ticket, on all the commercial routes, to be precise. Not just on the first leg booked...

Which means I get 32 flights, several cases of fast track, lounge access in OSL, thousands of EB points and even priority luggage tags (despite not being respected, which doesn't matter on a flight with 20 pax) and, most important, I get to see Norway, for about 400 Euro in total. Will certainly do again next year.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:22 pm

As I recall BKK SK973/972 have had several technical difficulties in the end before they decided to cease the route... It was like cancer to them.. I remember it got cancelled in BKK and it took days for the mechanics to get the spare-parts from Scandinavia.. When they were set and ready to fly the scheduled departure from CPH SK973 got sick too.. It cost them a lot of trouble and money...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
During the lunch meeting they had with EBG/EBD members last month, I specifically asked about Asian routes - they said they are not planning any new ones "we don't think AY's business model is sustainable on the long run"
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by aznhandles
As I recall BKK SK973/972 have had several technical difficulties in the end before they decided to cease the route... It was like cancer to them.. I remember it got cancelled in BKK and it took days for the mechanics to get the spare-parts from Scandinavia.. When they were set and ready to fly the scheduled departure from CPH SK973 got sick too.. It cost them a lot of trouble and money...
Wouldn't be that the same problem on any long haul destination where there is no fixed base setup? Don't see this specifically as a BKK problem, seems more a failure of the operational planing and budget constraints by SK. You can easily UPS/DHL/FedEx spare-parts in 24 hours across the globe if you pay for it (at least that my company does)
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I guess it's not just shipping those spare parts, but first getting hold of them. SK might not have a too big spare part stock laying around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.