Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SAS long haul routes?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by oliver2002
SK can interline with B6 and even AA on some fares, if you have a TA with half a brain its easy peasy...
Unfortunately I have to use a online booking tool with a company travel policy loaded. Together they are won't even get to the knee of a half brain TA. Calling the TA often result in ending up on crappy airlines with long layovers. :-(

Last edited by highupinthesky; May 2, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
It appears SK simply hasn't updated their website booking engine to connect in Boston in either direction. I have a few itineraries coming up where I was also surprised not to see Boston in the list of connection options. There are a few AC destinations that make more sense to/from BOS instead of EWR.

Wether this is simply not done yet or done on purpose as a result of only flying a small aircraft I do not know.
SK has from the beginning stated they don't see BOS as a connection hub. They only see it as a final destination. With the number of *A flights there I tend to agree with them.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:55 pm
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
Which plane schedule rotation will be used when the Miami routes takes effect this fall?

Last edited by BCC; Aug 13, 2016 at 4:08 am
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BCC
Which planes will be used when the Miami routes takes effect this fall?
Want someone to guess if the SK MIA flights will be more reliable than the SK IAD or ORD flights, if only because SK staff and their family and friends want to not lose out on beach time? Or will concerns about the Zika STD and mosquito transmissions mean that there is a reduced interest in the route?

More seriously, I think SK have already listed the plane type they will use for this route. It can be figured out during the process to make a booking for SK MIA flights on some online travel agencies. It comes up for me as an Airbus 330-300.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 12, 2016 at 6:47 pm
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:11 am
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
I edited my question. I know the A330 will most likely be used. I was wondering what schedule rotation will be used. The LAX planes fly ARN/LAX/ARN/EWR/ARN. The ORD planes fly ARN/ORD/ARN/HKG/ARN/ORD. I am booked on a MiA flight this fall and it is the A330.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by BCC
I edited my question. I know the A330 will most likely be used. I was wondering what schedule rotation will be used. The LAX planes fly ARN/LAX/ARN/EWR/ARN. The ORD planes fly ARN/ORD/ARN/HKG/ARN/ORD. I am booked on a MiA flight this fall and it is the A330.
Should be A330E. Rotation will generally be CPH-MIA-OSL-MIA-CPH.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Should be A330E. Rotation will generally be CPH-MIA-OSL-MIA-CPH.
Going to be one of the refreshed A330s that is currently used on CPH-ORD
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by SK1989
Going to be one of the refreshed A330s that is currently used on CPH-ORD
Check!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Furry
Seems that this route is quite heavily oversold in Y in Scandinavian holiday time, as we left LAX there was about 10-20pax on standby list waiting for no shows.
Well first off this route was introduced years to late. Not having a LAX route for any self respecting airline is a joke and hopefully the succes of the LAX and SFO routes will get SK to get more west-coast travel going (SEA/YVR would be very welcome). This is the first summer it operates so the flight is obviously popular.

Something else I've noticed is that SK offers very strange connections out of LAX, primarily on the return to ARN. On a recent trip to SAT I was offered the following routing: ARN-ORD-SAT returning SAT-LAX-ARN.

Now you might think that is silly but the reality is that the connection was faster and provides you a longer TA flight with better food than from EWR/ORD and with sufficient hours to sleep. Coming back from the central US this was probably the most convenient travel with least jetlag.

I've see a few other connections offered which initially probably make no sense, but most people I know will avoid EWR like the plague and if you want to fly to ARN directly that leaves ORD which is typically very full as well and the new late departure leaves very long layovers if your origin isn't a AA/UA hub.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:46 pm

Well first off this route was introduced years to late. Not having a LAX route for any self respecting airline is a joke
This is incorrect. SAS ran a route to California before, it was cancelled due to lack of profitability.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
This is incorrect. SAS ran a route to California before, it was cancelled due to lack of profitability.
Well that means they didn't have one, at least for a while right? In the past there have been numerous really interesting and flat out awesome routes operated by SAS but those are not existing anymore. Also SK not being able to operate it profitable doesn't change anything to my statement. Basically DY had to show them LAX was a perfectly fine economically sensible route.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:27 am

SAS flew to LAX until the mid-90s (exact year is beyond my memory - at least I flew it in '92). It was a halo route - never profitable. In the '00 SAS realised that hardly any on the IC routes were profitable - and thus a major rework began. SFO was launched in 2013 - and a few years later LAX followed (albeit to a small airport up north ). By the way in that same time period several US airlines (AA, DL, UA, CO) have tried their luck to OSL, ARN and CPH with ra

While I would love SAS to have more destinations - and I can name quite a few I would desire - I can hardly blame them for securing a profitable business
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
SAS flew to LAX until the mid-90s (exact year is beyond my memory - at least I flew it in '92).
Last flight LAX-CPH was 31 Aug, 1994.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
LAX was closed when SK opened the route to KIX. At that time it was expected that Japan would yield the profit that LAX did not. But then the Japanese economy tanked. The KIX route was closed again at the end of the Winter timetable 96/97.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:17 pm

Also SK not being able to operate it profitable doesn't change anything to my statement. Basically DY had to show them LAX was a perfectly fine economically sensible route.
Being unable to operate it profitably was directly linked to the market not being there at the time. Having a route out of "self-respect" sounds like a supremely bad financial reason. Hindsight is 20/20 and now we see the route is profitable again but it undoubtedly would not been in the years following the Lehman crash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.