Travel Cash card

Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Travel cash

Dear all,
I am interested to see what Travel cash and how it will work. Does anyone have more info. than what it says on the website?

Sincerely,

SB
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
This summer we will launch Travel Cash, a solution that lets you pay with your EuroBonus card – in local currencies! All you need to do is load your card before you leave or day by day on your trip. You don’t have to handle cash in foreign currencies and you always know the exchange rate ahead of time (your money is already exchanged). Not only that, you also earn EuroBonus points on everything you buy with the card.

Travel Cash is free of charge. It covers 12 currencies and can be used everywhere in the world that MasterCard is accepted. And you can easily keep track of your spending and currencies via the SAS App.

Don’t miss out! Enjoy your vacation with Travel Cash this summer
Just fill in the form below to get the latest news and apply for Travel Cash before everyone else. If you’re not yet a EuroBonus member, sign up today so you can get Travel Cash when it is launched in June.

POINTS ON ALL PURCHASES
You earn EuroBonus points every time you pay with Travel Cash: 10 points/10 EUR spent abroad and 5 points/10 EUR spent in Finland.

KEEP TRACK OF YOUR SPENDING
Travel Cash makes it easy to manage your travel expenses. Just load the card with the amount you wish ahead of time and you’re good to go.

LOCKED-IN EXCHANGE RATES
Because you load your card with foreign currency ahead of time, you don’t need to worry about currency fluctuations impacting your travel budget.

CHOOSE FROM THESE CURRENCIES
You can load Travel Cash with up to 12 currencies from Denmark, Eurozone*, Japan, Norway, Poland, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, US, Thailand and Turkey.

For SAS payment cards
If you already have a EuroBonus card combined with Diners Club or MasterCard and want to use Travel Cash, you will receive a separate EuroBonus card.

MORE INFORMATION ABOUT
TRAVEL CASH
IS COMING IN JUNE!
The only perk I can see it (for people who have a forex fee CC plus bonus like Coop Medmera card) is that you can lock the exchange rate. It would have been awesome if they launched half a year ago - I was thinking about locking some USD but now it's too late.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:45 am

There is a two page article in the Scandinavian Traveller about Travel Cash.

The option to online exchange left over Euro to USD is kind of nice but for the rest I'm not sure I want to carry around another card. Especially prepaid to some currency might end up in losses over the time if the exchange rates develop not in your favor - or in making money out of it. But not sure you wil get ever back money of the card... You probably have to spend it.

Could be a nice option for kids and teens travel on their own.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The key issues are: the exchange rate applied and fees for withdrawing cash at i.a. ATMs. As this is Master Card I expect poor exchange rates (the usual 3-4% surcharge) and huge ATM fees.

I have yet to be convinced how Travel Cash will actually benefit me. I don't care about the advantages described above - not important for me as I often just bring some cash (Euro or DKK) for exchanging into the local currency upon arrival and use my MC or VISA as much as possible.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by SK AAR
The key issues are: the exchange rate applied and fees for withdrawing cash at i.a. ATMs. As this is Master Card I expect poor exchange rates (the usual 3-4% surcharge) and huge ATM fees.
I thought master cards charge 1-2%.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
It all reads like DCC (dynamic currency conversion) in disguise, which normally is a rip off. I would not be surprised if this is a pre-chargable card with DCC rates available on the card owner side, as opposed to being decided in the transaction terminal. If my guess is right, then this is useless. I rather pay with my regular EB MC without using DCC. This will only be attractive if it offers better exchange rates than EB MC and DC.

Both Visa and MC have been so fa using the ability to lock the rate to screw customers; hard to see why MC would do otherwise this time. But let's see; and let me be proven pessimistic.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:56 am

it's also attractive if I can load it with my SAS Amex and it earns 30EB/100kronor, a window into manufactured spend?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
It would be an interesting product if I could flat out exchange EuroBonus points for cash on this card.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Pandion
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
It would be an interesting product if I could flat out exchange EuroBonus points for cash on this card.
They would probably be open for this.
At 250SEK per 10k points
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Terms says that once activated and then resting card (not used for awhile) will have a monthly fee, but I did not find it.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:58 pm

SAS Travel Cash. All user Fees.pdf

Since "many" was looking for this. Here you go

http://www.flysas.com/upload/Eurobon...velCash_FI.pdf
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Terms says that once activated and then resting card (not used for awhile) will have a monthly fee, but I did not find it.
Its 1.99 a month after 12 month of inactivity.
A new activity will stop that.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
This is the most non-understandable product I have seen from SAS – ever.

I don’t know if it is poor communication or the product just is stupid and irrelevant. I have read a lot and now I got the new Mastercard chip card including more information, and I still don’t get it.

It says “then you can avoid fumbling with cash”. But how? It looks like a credit card, which requires some sort of terminal. Then it can’t substitute cash in many cases anyway. In Germans taxis, e.g. And I have lots of credit cards.

Do I need to fill it up with every of the 12 currencies? Leaving Turkish Lira on the card until I get back in three years? Or just one? I often never know or think about which country I am going to tomorrow.

And this “you know the exchange rate”. So what? Who cares for small amounts? And anyway, exchange rates can go up as well down.

I don’t need answers here. I just think the product seems stupid and I won’t use it anyway.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:52 pm
ekf

I guess that one advantage with that card is that you get the same wireless NFC functionality as in the EBG/D/P tags that gan be attached to your passport/phone etc.
Nice new feature for EBS and lower
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
I was wondering. I receive euros as my income, is it possible for me also transfer the euros directly into this travelcash account?

SB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.