Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Cabin Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

SAS Cabin Baggage

We're flying SAS GO this summer to Helsinki (via Copenhagen) out of O'Hare and coming back from Tromsų (via Oslo-Copenhagen).

It's been years since I've flown but my wife has recently, so am making sure we cover all details accurately.

For cabin baggage, we are being careful w/ the dimensions and weight, as we should be prepared that it could be weighed or sized, correct?

And then for under the seat, as they say "A small laptop bag or a handbag," I'm not sure how that is defined. How small is "small"? As I might be purchasing a "LowePro Passport Sling III" bag for my camera gear (it has a protective compartment) and to use as my day bag. It has dimensions of 5.71" x 17.32" x 16.14", but is a unique shape. Just curious on any input that anyone can provide ...

Thanks a bunch!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:42 am
ekf

Originally Posted by JayI
For cabin baggage, we are being careful w/ the dimensions and weight, as we should be prepared that it could be weighed or sized, correct?
I have never had my carry on luggage weighed by SAS, size wise I usually try to stay within the limits though.

Originally Posted by JayI
And then for under the seat, as they say "A small laptop bag or a handbag," I'm not sure how that is defined. How small is "small"? As I might be purchasing a "LowePro Passport Sling III" bag for my camera gear (it has a protective compartment) and to use as my day bag.
I think you will be fine as long as your main carry on is within limits and the camera bag is reasonably small and fits under the seat without a problem. I often fly with a roll-on bag with max limits and then a padded camera bag that fits a few lenses, a flash, the camera and a charger.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:38 am
Suspended

I've yet to see anyone get their carry ons measured by SAS - even if I sometimes wish they'd enforce some sort of policy; getting delayed 15 minutes Monday morning because mr. So-and-So can't fit his stuff under the seat and there's gate checking happening isn't too much fun.

Anyway; you should be fine. A little tip: consider your audience. A lot of people 'round these parts have no idea how much an inch is (it's 2.54 cm, btw).
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Once or twice each year, SK at CPH weighs my or my travel party's cabin bags at check-in. But they've never checked these bags of mine/ours for linear dimension compliance. This is when checking in at the SK business class/Star Gold counters.

SAS at ORD has never weighed my/my travel party's cabin bags. Nor have they done a linear dimension check of my/my travel party's cabin bags. As long as it's not too obvious at check-in that your cabin bags are nowhere close to being weight and linear dimensions compliant, SK ORD is not as likely to make an issue over this as Tromso check-in staff; and there too, they won't pull out a ruler but may weigh the bags.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 22, 2015 at 2:58 am
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Whoops, here are the full dimensions of that LowePro bag, External Dimensions: 14.5 x 44 x 41 cm (5.71 x 17.32 x 16.14 in).
Old May 30, 2017, 5:18 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:22 am
Old May 30, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by markle
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but had quite a novel (and frustrating) experience on my flight from LHR to CPH this morning. Flight was full, and at the gate there was a set of scales in place, with every single cabin bag weighed against a strict 10KG (J) / 8KG (Y) limit, for 'health and safety' reasons. Any offending luggage was checked into the hold for free.

No leniency, even for J / *G.

Obviously the rules are made very clear, but I'd come to expect some leniency - and was surprised to find that they had got scales in place and a dedicated person to weigh them. Is this a new SOP for full flights?
It seems to have started at LHR somewhen at the beginning of this year.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...tion-go-1.html
Old May 30, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: EBG, LCAH Gold, HH Gold, IHG RC GE
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but had quite a novel (and frustrating) experience on my flight from LHR to CPH this morning. Flight was full, and at the gate there was a set of scales in place, with every single cabin bag weighed against a strict 10KG (J) / 8KG (Y) limit, for 'health and safety' reasons. Any offending luggage was checked into the hold for free.
I was also greeted with this same experience at LHR last Wednesday evening on SK1516. My luggage registered 10.7 kg on a scale they had at the gate. I was required to check my hand luggage and pick it up on the carousel in CPH. Overall fairly painless and no surcharges; but still a bit of unexpected hassle.

I suppose next time I fly from LHR with SAS, I'll take my laptop out of my luggage before boarding and call this my small laptop bag.
https://www.flysas.com/en/us/travel-...cabin-baggage/
Old May 30, 2017, 11:59 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:21 am
Old May 30, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

No leniency, even for J / *G.

Obviously the rules are made very clear, but I'd come to expect some leniency - and was surprised to find that they had got scales in place and a dedicated person to weigh them. Is this a new SOP for full flights?
Health and safety reasons, is that nanny state UK kicking in again? Or just staff making up semi plausible reasoning?

I always wish airlines would enforce carry on more strictly. But by size and count. As long as it is reasonably sized weight is less of a concern. Though sometimes you see people who can barely lift their bag off the floor, and you have to wonder...

That's a bit of a shame. I'd been looking to do more flights on SAS to work towards *G, as my BA year ends in August and there's no way I'll hit Gold on them.

If I'm going to start getting my bag gate-checked more often, I'll move back to BA. Had to wait at the belt for 15 minutes at CPH before any bags started appearing, just a little bit too long for my liking.
On a global scale 15 minutes is not too bad, and on a BA T5 scale it is nothing short of stellar.
(as I am usually on 2 weeks or more, and also often one more than one climate per trip, I almost always check bags so I get to experience most airports' performance)
Old May 31, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jainzar
It seems to have started at LHR somewhen at the beginning of this year.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...tion-go-1.html
It has happened to me twice at OSL this year, both times on morning flights to ARN.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:41 am

I'm looking to fly LHR-CPH with a reasonably heavy set of carry on items (camera backpack with a number of lenses + one very long telephoto lens and laptop). Is it reasonable to assume that I will be weighed and to make plans for that?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: EBG, LCAH Gold, HH Gold, IHG RC GE
Originally Posted by Productivity
I'm looking to fly LHR-CPH with a reasonably heavy set of carry on items (camera backpack with a number of lenses + one very long telephoto lens and laptop). Is it reasonable to assume that I will be weighed and to make plans for that?
I just flew out of LHR with SAS again this morning. They were not using the scale, even for folks who were clearly over the 8 kg limit. I'd say your odds are 50:50 that you will be asked to check your carry-on items at the gate.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
So far flying MAN-CPH and CPH-MAN, no one has ever weighed one of my bags. It's about 20 flights so far, too. I have a rolling carry-on plus a small backpack. I've carried an overly large messenger bag plus the backpack as well.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:34 pm

So to add a data point for anybody who uses this thread in the future, they were weighing at the gate. Luckily as I came to have my BP scanned, somebody else caused a fuss and they just waved me through without weighing but others were getting caught.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.