Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Introduction to SAS & Eurobonus / Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction

Scandinavian Airlines System (for short SAS, IATA code SK) is the flag carrier airline of Scandinavia. It's owned for 71% by private owners and 29% by the governments of Sweden (1/7th) and Denmark (1/7th). The government of Norway has recently sold its stake in SAS.

SAS mainly flies to destinations in Europe, particularly within Scandinavia, but also operates on a few long haul routes to Asia and the USA.

SAS is part of the StarAlliance network and has in addition codeshare operations with several airlines.

Fleet
The fleet of SAS consists of mainly short haul material, mainly A320neos, but also several variants of the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 families, although the latter are diminishing in number.

Bombardier CRJ regional jets and ATR turboprops are operated for SAS by the Irish airline Cityjet and Estonian airline XFly. A small fleet of Embraer 195 are operated by subsidiary SAS Link out of Copenhagen.

A fleet of A320neo aircraft is close to being fully delivered to Irish-registered subsidiary SAS Connect (formerly SAS Ireland).

For long haul operations, SAS uses the Airbus A330-300 and A350-900.

An up to date overview of the SAS fleet can be found here.

Hubs and Focus Cities
SAS has three hubs:
Copenhagen (CPH),
Stockholm (ARN) and
Oslo Gardermoen (OSL).

In addition,
Bergen (BGO),
Stavanger (SVG),
Trondheim (TRD) and
Gřteborg Landvetter (GOT)
have been defined as focus cities.

Service classes

Instead of the traditional Economy Class, Economy Extra Class and Business Class, SAS has made up its own service class system.

Short haul
On all short haul, SAS serves the following classes
  • SAS Go is what should resemble regular economy. The following is included in SAS Go
    • 23 kg. luggage
    • on line check in and on site check in
    • Buy on board (coffee and tea are included in the ticket price)
    • seat selection (may come with additional costs)
  • SAS Plus is a hybrid form of economy extra and business class and includes the following features
    • seating in the front of the plane
    • no guaranteed free middle seat
    • choice of food and beverages from the on board menu is included
    • priority check in counter usage
    • fast track security where applicable
    • priority luggage labels on your hold luggage
    • higher point earnings
    • lounge access where available
    • priority boarding where applied

Experience teaches that Plus, with the exception of full flex tickets, is not considered as a business class fare by any of the airline partners of SAS. As a result, if someone books a flight in SAS plus with a partner airline, the chance is quite big to end up in regular economy. The same goes for re-routings on partner airlines. This also may affect lounge access on Plus tickets: not all partner airlines may allow Plus ticket holders in their lounges.

Frequent Flyer Program / EuroBonus
SAS has its own frequent flier program called EuroBonus. It has been around since 1992. EuroBonus offers frequent fliers the possibilities to earn points. These points can be used to obtain status and /or to save for award travel or products from the gift shop.

After subscribing to EuroBonus, the qualification period starts running. This is an period of 12 months from the month of subscription to the end of the 12th month thereafter. This cycle repeats itself every year.

For example, if someone subscribes in October, his or her qualification period runs from October to September the next year (both inclusive).

Membership levels
EuroBonus offers five levels in its program:
Qualifying segments can be earned on all flights flown by
  • SAS, with the exception of SAS flights with numbers ranging 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999. More information can be found here
  • Widerře, with the exception of all flights within Norway that are carried out on PSO agreements. An overview of eligible routes can be found here.

For point earnings, please see below.

Point earnings
EuroBonus offers 2 kinds of points:
  • Basic points
    These are points that count towards membership levels.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) These are the points that can be used for award travel and as a currency for buying products.

The validity of points varies and is based on the type of point and the membership level.
  • Basic points are valid during one qualification period.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) are valid for 5 years for all memeber levels except Diamond and Pandion: those levels have no point validity. After losing Pandion or Diamond level benefits the counter for validity is reset to 5 years.

Basic points can be earned on all flights operated by
  • SAS. All flights, with the exception of flights with number 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999
  • Widerře. All flights, with the exception of PSO routes. An overview of eligible routes can be found here
  • Atlantic Airways. Please note that no points are earned on flight numbers RC001-399 and RC1000-9999.
  • StarAlliance partners. Point earnings is possible on all StarAlliance partners. Please note that not all booking classes may be eligible on all carriers. A detailed overview of earnings per airline can be found here.*

* Please note that only 'points for use' can be earned on AirBaltic and Ethiad Airways and only on selected routes.

Booking class
Critical for the determination of how many points will be earned is the booking class in which a flight is booked. A booking class is represented by a single character and can vary per flight segment in your booking.

A regular SAS booking via the SAS website doesn't explicitly state the booking class in the reservation, although it is possible to see in which class the booking will be done:

Step 1:
Select a suitable flight or routing and the available fares will show up. For flights fully operated by SK the booking site will show the points earned on the lower right side for each fare (1). Note that for Eurobonus Status members, the bonus % earned on flights is included in these calculations.

Step 2:
Click the (i) icon on the top of the fare (2). A popup will show up showing the fare rules. The letter is the booking class (3). In the case of more than one flight, the booking class for each flight is displayed in chronological order.

To check the booking classes later on, review the Electronic Itinerary SAS sent via mail:

Or check the booking classes directly under my bookings on the SAS website:

Star Alliance Benefits (for elites in other *A programs flying on SK)

Star Alliance Silver Benefits
You'll get nothing and like it?

Star Alliance Gold Benefits
Priority check-in: Yes
Fast-track security pass: Yes (for everyone on same itinerary; excludes SK-operated fast-track security)
Extra baggage allowance: Yes (HBO fares might be excluded)
Preferred seats: Yes
Lounge access: Yes (for traveler and one guest; SAS-operated or Star Alliance-affiliated lounges only)
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Priority standby: Yes
Priority boarding: Yes (for everyone on the same itinerary)

Print Wikipost

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:06 pm

Newbie Question

I am trying to decide whether to jump ship to SK/Eurobonus to try and qualify for *G.

However, I am somewhat confused about how one earns points, because the tables always indicate "from xxx points"

So if I fly on a *A carrier on a booking class that is designated 100%, does it mean that if I fly 1,500 miles (or is it KM?) I get 1,500 qualifying as well well as redeemable points?

Also, how easy or difficult is it to claim award tickets online, without having to spend time on the phone?

Does any fresh activity on a dormant Eurobonus account automatically extend the life of the points?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SchrottFly
I am trying to decide whether to jump ship to SK/Eurobonus to try and qualify for *G.

However, I am somewhat confused about how one earns points, because the tables always indicate "from xxx points"

So if I fly on a *A carrier on a booking class that is designated 100%, does it mean that if I fly 1,500 miles (or is it KM?) I get 1,500 qualifying as well well as redeemable points?

Also, how easy or difficult is it to claim award tickets online, without having to spend time on the phone?

Does any fresh activity on a dormant Eurobonus account automatically extend the life of the points?
Unless there like with Lufthansa European flights are specified earning buckets, then it is based on the miles of the flight times the earning percentage.

Points are valid for 5 years after the year you earned them in. The expire at the end of your qualifying year. There is no way to extend the life of the points.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is no way to extend the life of the points.
... apart from becoming Diamond.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by klmml
... apart from becoming Diamond.
True I had forgotten that one....
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:33 am

Can one buy points to top up an account?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:47 am

Yes, just be careful those will be extra points which do not count towards status:
https://www.flysas.com/en/de/eurobon...ts/buy-points/

I think you can also buy basic points (at least used to be possible...)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: *G
Alternatively check https://points.flysas.com
You buy both basis and extra points there. Basis points are capped at 5.000 towards silver, 15.000 towards gold and 30.000 towards diamond, but I doubt any one would want to spend that much on that anyway. :-)
And as always, I believe it's cheaper if you're Norwegian or Swedish as the price (at least used to be) 1:1:1 DKK/SEK/NOK.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by studentCPH
Alternatively check https://points.flysas.com
You buy both basis and extra points there. Basis points are capped at 5.000 towards silver, 15.000 towards gold and 30.000 towards diamond, but I doubt any one would want to spend that much on that anyway. :-)
And as always, I believe it's cheaper if you're Norwegian or Swedish as the price (at least used to be) 1:1:1 DKK/SEK/NOK.
The price in € is 100€ for 1000 basis points so 1500€ gets you 15000 points which is 1/3 of the required points. Yay. Alternatively it is 10000 extra points can be exchanged to 1000 basis points which is again a great deal. For SK .

Also extra points are IMO not worth buying for 20€/1000 points except maybe you are really close of a very valuable and available award.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: *G
I completely agree, the price means in 99% of All cases it's a super bad idea, but if you really don't have time for those final 1000 points it might make sense, of if your qualification is over and you didn't realize (they're dated back 4 months or something).
but I think it'sfair enough SAS takes 100€ for 1.000 basis points, they're notforcing anyone to buy them. But I don't think it's fair that if your address is just across the border to Denmark, could theoretically be a neighbor to a German... Then the price would be 1.000DKK~134€... 34% higher..
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: SK EB*G
Originally Posted by SchrottFly
Award tickets on SK operated flights are easy enough to book (though the search for premium cabin tix can be tedious as you can't search by cabin).

Anything involving *A needs to be booked by phone. Online redemption of *A awards have been promised for some time, never with an expected release date though - I'd wager it's still quite far away.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Question, If I sign up for an eurobonus account in Jan 2018, flying enough to earn gold status by Feb 2018. Is my Gold status valid until Feb 2019, or Jan, 2020?

Thanks,
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bertuzzi
Question, If I sign up for an eurobonus account in Jan 2018, flying enough to earn gold status by Feb 2018. Is my Gold status valid until Feb 2019, or Jan, 2020?

Thanks,
Until December 2019 (your year will be Jan to December). The year you qualify in, plus the follwing year.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Until December 2019 (your year will be Jan to December). The year you qualify in, plus the follwing year.
Plus the inoffical 3 months grace period. So it is even March 2020.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Thanks for you help. I booked the ET bbk-add-yyz C fare for Jan. Guess I will signup for Eurobonus in Jan. and has *g for 2 years
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bertuzzi
Thanks for you help. I booked the ET bbk-add-yyz C fare for Jan. Guess I will signup for Eurobonus in Jan. and has *g for 2 years

That should do it. Just have a careful look at the booking class. I am not familiar with ET and booking classes, but only C, D, and J earns on SK. So if ET uses Z or P for cheap business class like most *A carriers, you will not earn anything on SK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.