Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Danish cabin crew strikes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by UltraRant
Anyway, pilot salaries of below 30000 NOK per month seem a bit little.
STARTING salary...

If some of the salaries mentioned here are somehow correct then I'll need to talk with my boss on Monday and demand my salary to be doubled at least. Quadrupled would even be better
Exactly my thoughts based on the 40k which I think are not the norm but think 25k DKK in average is a fair salary for a FA.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
Sorry, I can't believe that...
Believe what you want, I've held the document in my hand. The 'løntrin' (google it) go to above 36K/mo. and then you start adding extras.

Last edited by FlyerTalker01565; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:06 am
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sorry, I can't believe that...

According to SK the starting salary for pilots are:
DKK: 27 730
SEK: 28 395
NOK: 29 940

Didn't find official numbers for FAs but a couple of average reports on cabin crew salaries at SK show up with up to 150DKK/hour so we are talking about perhaps 25k DKK. Probably there are some long haul pursers which earn 40k but I would guess the large majority don't make much money.

Or another quick googling turned out: "Compententive salary after test period (6months) 19.223,- Kroner (aprox 2600 Eur / 3750 Usd. 150 hours per month (130 kroner/hour, 25 usd/hour)" (from http://www.gayviator.com/forum/index.php?topic=2300.0, hmmm gayviator? Anyway...)

Reminds me about the reports in Germany that a LH Pilot earns 250k a year... while the pilots i know just can wonder who came up with those numbers as they earn less than half of it - even as long haul crew
I know some relatively recently hired SK Danish and Swedish cabin crew and their bank accounts are not half as well padded as their same-age fellow citizens working for EK and QR in the same roles.

If you look at where and how the relatively newly-hired/youngest SK cabin crew members live, they certainly don't seem to be banking bank way more than their school friends. The older ones are more comfortable, but their job prospects (and income growth prospects) beyond their current employer are anything but great.

If you wanted me to sign up to be an employee of a sinking firm in an industry where job and income growth opportunities aren't all that great going forward, you would have to pay me a substantial premium or suffer me a large performance bonus regardless of job grade/level.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver
Salary and length of employment

Just a comment on some of the above points made.

Over the past decade there have been changes made to the SAS agreements. My understanding is that a few key things have happened
- Salary levels have in fact been lowered somewhat for all staff
- The rate at which salaries increase has been lowered significantly and especially for NEW staff.
- The number of block hours has been increased quite significantly
- The pensions have been made a lot less generous again, especially with effect for new employees

The low salaries you quote are likely right for recently hired cabin crew.

The DKK 40k per month was for sure right for cabin crew with significant number of years of employment although it sounds very rich for anyone with current agreements. It will not be very far off though.

What SAS is reportedly doing is that they are focusing the majority of their staff transfer to cabin crew with significant length of employment.

This reportedly means that employees who are earning well above DKK 30k per month will get on a new union agreement where overall levels are lower, and where they will not gain nearly the same benefit from length of service.

Whether it is fair is a big question and clearly the unions are taking a fight even if it is legal.

In my humble opinion two observations are important
1. The fight the unions need to take is not really with SAS, but with the airlines who refuse to even talk to unions. Fighting SAS is like them fighting their most cooperative counterpart.
2. I think CAU needs to explain why they were willing to have a much cheaper agreement with Cimber than SAS in the first place.

Regards,

ScandiGB
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Would it not be better to discuss the impact of the strike, which flights are affected, and likely duration? Whether or not the CPH crew have a just case for complaint, the fact remains that Scandinavian work legislation makes plenty of provision for legal strike action, and this is an illegal one.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:23 pm

What a nightmare. Was supposed to be on 909. They canceled it, but at the last minute, leaving me little chance to find another way home.

They were giving out numbers for help in the lounge, took about 2 hours to find out they rebooked me to Chicago.

We went out with a minimal cabin crew who did a great effort in servicing the flight.

SAS doesn't seem to have a way to get me all the way home, though. Very grateful for a good travel agent who found a way.

Amounts to a 11 hour delay. Combined with the 9 hour delay going out, SAS owes me a day of my life back.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
So now both DY and SK are on strike. Any chance that we can still be reached in Scandinavia?
BA worked fine this morning, even without queueing above London and a smooth transition onwards to YVR. Unfortunately 2 colleagues on their way to NRT on SK had a very unpleasant wait and reroute.

I absolutely despise and do not approve of any form of striking, plenty of excellent comments in this thread but seeing the enormous impact this has already had with long haul cancels they are harming far more people then the little gain they might get out of it is worth it.

I would love to see modern strike laws where the people who go on strike can be held responsible and accountable for the damage they cause in the process. If you disagree with your employer about your employment terms or otherwise then you go and find another job, don't go on strike and drag other people down with you.

Either way, anyone on strike should get a note in their records to never ever again get a salary or benefit increase. Let them dig their own graves. Even 20k DKK a month is far to much for a glorified waitress with no sense of service or customer interaction.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
My next SK flight in 3 days, on one of CRJ's so supposedly serviced by the affected crews. I wonder whether I will get home ...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:41 am

Heaps of cancellations out of CPH again today. The situation seems to be rather fluid and confused - a while ago, CPH-NRT was showing as cancelled but now it seems to have been uncancelled again. But lots of cancellations to major business centres. It seems like, where SK flights to places like ZRH and FRA get cancelled, the surrounding LX and LH flights zero out, but this does not happen with BA flights when SK's LHR flights get cancelled. Bit depressing if that indicates that they don't value their reputation and service recovery enough to rebook outside of *A, but I'm booked on BA today so fortunately I'm not in a position to put that hypothesis to the test.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Mar 1, 2015 at 3:46 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
The court (Arbejdsretten) has now ordered the cabin crew on strike to resume work this afternoon.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:01 am

In spite, of this, cancellations are still being announced - now up until 1710 (Gdansk). But in defence of SK, the BA flight CPH-LHR that leaves in 10 minute has gone from wide open to full, so I'm glad to reject my previous hypothesis that they won't rebook outside of *A.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
STARTING salary...
I read you, loud and clear. It just doesn't make any sense, as it is a very low starting salary for Norwegian standards for people in similar roles.
Based on that starting salary my boss will probably suggest to lower my wages instead of raising them... unless someone can prove that salary developments condemn the regular Scandinavian standard and grow rapidly over time.

Exactly my thoughts based on the 40k which I think are not the norm but think 25k DKK in average is a fair salary for a FA.
Just consider this. An average FA gets 25k DKK, a junior pilot not much more. Where the pilot also has to pay of a huge debt and a training of several years and carries significantly more responsibility at the job... I think I chose the wrong career path...

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I would love to see modern strike laws where the people who go on strike can be held responsible and accountable for the damage they cause in the process. If you disagree with your employer about your employment terms or otherwise then you go and find another job, don't go on strike and drag other people down with you.
Wouldn't that sort of put a huge bomb under employee rights and their possibilities to fight for those? If you're supposed to compensate for lost turnover of your employer then the employer would get full control over the employee.

Last edited by UltraRant; Mar 1, 2015 at 8:32 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:34 am

Some employees working hard to lose their jobs today. It will be interesting to see the fallout from this mess.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
In spite, of this, cancellations are still being announced - now up until 1710 (Gdansk). But in defence of SK, the BA flight CPH-LHR that leaves in 10 minute has gone from wide open to full, so I'm glad to reject my previous hypothesis that they won't rebook outside of *A.
Who did the rebooking/booking onto the BA flights? With refundable tickets or not, a lot of people would just book the next flight that gets us where we need to go regardless of carrier -- whether or not strike-hit airlines rebooks or not.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
This is becoming tough. After the court decision that the strike is illegal, and the employees not obeying the court instruction to come back to work, we have now an official statement from SAS that they will fire all people that are not restarting work tomorrow by noon. (I am still counting hours until my flight on Wed)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.