Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Short haul; Go better than Plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS/A* DIAMOND/GOLD, GHA Black, HHonors Diamond

Flew CPH-ARN for the first time in a long time last week. Was booked into Go. More than 50 % of the flight was Llus - never seen that before. The Plus section was completely full, no middle-seats free. I sat in the back with a full row to my self.

No doubt that the Plus business model has been a tremendous succes - however, I'm never doing it on short-haul again. 50 minutes CPH-ARN that day; it'll never be worth it, now that points are not an incentive anymore. Time to step up the Plus-planning, moving the sign even further back, and clearing some middle seats? Surely, Plus-sales must decline now that it's not a small mile run everytime.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Back in the good old days of the 1980s and 90s it was not unusual to have a plane with 50% or more Euroclass seats.

A key factor today is that the exit rows are usually in Go.

I think Plus should at least have blocked middle seats.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:35 am

Hmm, I think a lot of the big companies have travel passes which always book in Plus anyway. At least the company I work for now which is a pretty big player... So, even if I want to take Go, I just can't.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I've also seen the opposite happen on Plus and Go. I've more than once had the whole Plus cabin (almost) for myself. I don't think what OP describes is typical for Plus or Go at all, probably just for the flights between the hubs: those can indeed have more Plus than Go seats on a very frequent basis.

Anyway, I completely agree about the lack of incentive for booking Plus within Scandinavia on such a short hop. It's simply not worth it, money wise, point wise.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fassy
Hmm, I think a lot of the big companies have travel passes which always book in Plus anyway. At least the company I work for now which is a pretty big player... So, even if I want to take Go, I just can't.
Our company has the same, especially for travel inside the Nordics and to the major cities in Europe. Staff uses their travelpasses and automatically end up in Plus.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by don_hansen
Flew CPH-ARN for the first time in a long time last week. Was booked into Go. More than 50 % of the flight was Llus - never seen that before. The Plus section was completely full, no middle-seats free. I sat in the back with a full row to my self.

No doubt that the Plus business model has been a tremendous succes - however, I'm never doing it on short-haul again. 50 minutes CPH-ARN that day; it'll never be worth it, now that points are not an incentive anymore. Time to step up the Plus-planning, moving the sign even further back, and clearing some middle seats? Surely, Plus-sales must decline now that it's not a small mile run everytime.
Exactly my thought a month ago when I was op-upped on shorthaul from exit row seat to Plus. Luckily I got aisle seat and not the middle. I would have preferred the exit row but it was a short hop, did not want to raise a circus there.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: DYKWIA
Though it is not often you get row 1 with a Go ticket...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: A3 *G
Do they actually have a minimum number of rows for Plus or is it always at least four?

I just took two Plus flights - ATH-ARN-LHR. On the first, Plus was four rows and was only about half full - no more than two people in each set of seats and some with just one. The back seemed totally full.

On the second, there were six rows which were totally full, but the back also seemed quite full. I've noticed the premium charged for Plus seems a lot greater on the LHR route so I guess they generally sell more on such routes and less on the more leisure oriented runs such as ATH.

Anyway, Aegean, with whom I usually fly often shrink their C cabin down to just two rows (I've never seen it as a single row) and there is no C class at all on some flights.

Just wondering how they do this with Plus.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Do they actually have a minimum number of rows for Plus or is it always at least four?
No, it is 0 - "whatever the last row in the AC is" number of rows. They don't even need to change a curtain as the only thing they move is the small sign fixed with velcros on the seat.

I have seen flights with no Plus row, and I have been on a flight with all rows in Plus....
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by fassy
No, it is 0 - "whatever the last row in the AC is" number of rows. They don't even need to change a curtain as the only thing they move is the small sign fixed with velcros on the seat.

I have seen flights with no Plus row, and I have been on a flight with all rows in Plus....
I have definitely been on flights with one row in PLUS only, and perhaps with no rows (cannot remember). But I can't recall being on a PLUS only flight. This sounds quite interesting. What was the route?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by don_hansen
Sounds like a very lousy gate agent. I think SK should try harder to move free spaces from GO to PLUS.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by wazow
I have definitely been on flights with one row in PLUS only, and perhaps with no rows (cannot remember). But I can't recall being on a PLUS only flight. This sounds quite interesting. What was the route?
Morning flights SVG-BGO or vice versa are very Plus heavy.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by wazow
Plus only is very rare but I had it on a Monday morning CPH-LHR once and one time Monday morning MMX to ARN. I think on both flights there was not single person paying for the flight on their own or without EB Gold or Diamond status

Especially on the MMX-ARN flight nearly everybody was EBD, so I guess mostly unlimited TravelPass commuters.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Was on OSL-KSU recently. The cabin was literally split in two almost equal parts: on a 736 with the divider behind row 11. Maybe 20 to 25 customers for Plus (lots of empty rows, even), where Go was quite packed.

This applied both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.