Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

No more paper newspaper - Everything via App

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more paper newspaper - Everything via App

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Dialect.

It doesn't sound as roly-poly as the Oslo version of Swedish or as the Gothenburg version of Norwegian.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
On the positive side, the abolishment of newspapers will freed the overhead locker for those sitting in 1-2AB on CRJ machines
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: SK*G, AS*MVP75k, UA*G
Its quite annoying being based in the US, and don't have access to any newspapers because my iTunes account is a US one. Should be a very simple task to make it a global app.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by sohb
Its quite annoying being based in the US, and don't have access to any newspapers because my iTunes account is a US one. Should be a very simple task to make it a global app.
You're talking SAS IT here. Even just keeping a simple website on air for a week on end is too much asked.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Its a great pity and much too early.

Asked for the newspapers March 4, as I had forgotten, the newspapers were already phased out.

A great pity because flying was the last time (apart from holidays) I had time/peace to read a newspaper. Especially during taxi, takeoff and climb.

I asked the CA, how I should read the newspaper from now on. She couldn’t answer.

Can you?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:58 am

Danish

At least Berlingske and BT have been added to newspapers in Danish.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
At least Berlingske and BT have been added to newspapers in Danish.
Only one of them qualifies as a newspaper - the other is a magazine that just happens to be published daily

I like the app - but for me it is not an alternative to "real" newspapers.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Only one of them qualifies as a newspaper - the other is a magazine that just happens to be published daily

I like the app - but for me it is not an alternative to "real" newspapers.
The app cannot be downloaded if your account is in the US. So no newspapers for US customers.... Odd they launch before this bug is fixed....
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:01 am

Just discovered, that the app connects to Readly, where you can download some 800 magazines (might be related to your EB-level). Quite amazing. But still, it's not funny to read a nice magazine on a telephone.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GreatDane
The app cannot be downloaded if your account is in the US. So no newspapers for US customers.... Odd they launch before this bug is fixed....
That is not a bug, it's a feature.

SAS knew for quite some time that its app was not in the U.S. iTunes/App Store.

There are workarounds, which is what I did to make this work for me and some others: move the AppleID/iTunes Store account to a European country of relevance and a relevant European charge card and billing address; then download the SAS app; then change back the account to the U.S. info.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That is not a bug, it's a feature.

SAS knew for quite some time that its app was not in the U.S. iTunes/App Store.

There are workarounds, which is what I did to make this work for me and some others: move the AppleID/iTunes Store account to a European country of relevance and a relevant European charge card and billing address; then download the SAS app; then change back the account to the U.S. info.
Unfortunately you cannot change your itunes store while you have Credit/money from gift certificates in the itunes account - something many people have even if living in Scandinavia as it is the favorite way of getting full US selection for streaming services such as netflix and HBO (so I hear ). So I think SK have made a bit of a mess here. Many Scandinavians will simply not be able to download the app. And thus service has genuinely been 'enhanced'
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Unfortunately you cannot change your itunes store while you have Credit/money from gift certificates in the itunes account - something many people have even if living in Scandinavia as it is the favorite way of getting full US selection for streaming services such as netflix and HBO (so I hear ). So I think SK have made a bit of a mess here. Many Scandinavians will simply not be able to download the app. And thus service has genuinely been 'enhanced'
Why not create a new, secondary iTunes/AppleID account? Then you can download the app (and update it, as needed) by logging in with the secondary iTunes/AppleID account; and, after that, then swap back to the primary iTunes/AppleID account that has the credit/money from gift certificates.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why not create a new, secondary iTunes/AppleID account? Then you can download the app (and update it, as needed) by logging in with the secondary iTunes/AppleID account; and, after that, then swap back to the primary iTunes/AppleID account that has the credit/money from gift certificates.
Because that is an unreasonable solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place and almost exclusively comes from SK's narrow-minded view on their passenger base. In the same way they will always address you in a Scandinavian language first, repeatedly, even if the whole cabin is filled with non-Scandinavians.

If you operate 7 flights a day to US destinations your exclusive means to access news papers should work for US passengers.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Because that is an unreasonable solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place and almost exclusively comes from SK's narrow-minded view on their passenger base. In the same way they will always address you in a Scandinavian language first, repeatedly, even if the whole cabin is filled with non-Scandinavians.

If you operate 7 flights a day to US destinations your exclusive means to access news papers should work for US passengers.
Unfortunately I must agree with you 100%. This app non-sense shouldn't be my job to solve. SK needs to get it right before introducing these 'enhancements'. BTW just for comparison's sake: Flew SN today and they have the same app newspaper 'offer'. But to their C-class pax they still hand out real physical papers available in flemish, french and english. VERY nice...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose

It's a reasonable solution to an unreasonable problem of SK's own creation.

[I've encountered no SAS flight from the U.S. or to the U.S. where the whole cabin is filled with non-Scandinavians. And lots of airlines have crew address passengers in the national language of the country whose flag carrier the airline represents even when the plurality of passengers are not familiar with the flag carrier's primary national/official language(s).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.