Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Return on same flight from TXL possible

Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG

Hi! It's approaching end of year I need the last points to retain my EBG status. I've found the cheapest tickets to give me the needed 5k points on a return flight from CPH to Berlin Tegel TXL.

I will have 30 mins from arriving at TXL to when I will leave. When I check on TXLs webpage, I will arrive at another gate than when departuring. Apparently 2 different levels... I really doubt they're using two different gates for the same plane.

Question: Will I have to go through security again, or can I count on a quick return to gate and no risk of loosing my return flight???
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
You have to re-clear security at TXL. The security is pretty much at every gate (some have two or three gates shared) and is right where you exit. If they are using the same plane then it should be no problem even in IRROPS
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:25 am

SAS uses Terminal D/E in TXL, meaning you will need to go landside and then upstairs after leaving the bus from the aircraft.
The security check is usually empty, but can be extremely crowded during peaks. There is, however, a fast track available...simply wave with your gold card.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Why not go out on the 8 am flight and home on the 9 pm flight and spend a nice day in Berlin. Lots of Christmas markets.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I wouldn't take the chance but rather follow helosc's advise and spend a nice day in Berlin. It's really an interesting city to visit and has lots of nice shopping in case you need some more Christmas gifts.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The turns in TXL are very short, and if the plane is parked over by the cargo buildings boarding may start roughly at the same time as the bus with arriving passengers leaves the stand. Or even before. Unless they delay the flight for you that could be difficult to make. If the plane is parked by the terminal building it looks better. But not good. I have never seen the Copenhagen flights over by the main hall, where it would be easy to do.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: EBD
If you have a ticket with a connection that complies with the minimum transfer times, and you miss your connection, I suppose SK will accomodate you on the next flight.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: SAS
I think you should be able to make it just fine , provided you´ve allready optained a boarding pass in advance for the return flight. The check in desks closes 45 mins before departure so you won´t a chance to make it in time here.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by cph_flyer
I think you should be able to make it just fine , provided you´ve allready optained a boarding pass in advance for the return flight. The check in desks closes 45 mins before departure so you won´t a chance to make it in time here.
The check in may close 45 minutes before, and the airplane turn is about 25 minutes, so conflict built in.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The check in may close 45 minutes before, and the airplane turn is about 25 minutes, so conflict built in.
Fortunately, we've been able to check in online/through app for the past two decades
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKCPH
Fortunately, we've been able to check in online/through app for the past two decades
Oh wow you had the app for two decades, that is more than the rest of us.

But seriously, for TXL it is not so much about the check in, it is about the actual physical flow of the airport. And it is a stretch to get the bus in go through security, and get the bus back out again. If the plane is parked by the terminal and boarding is only walking it might be fine, but not certainties
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
All the cases when I used TXL on SK were with bus boarding. It is quite possible that the bus with incoming pax drives more or less at the same time as the bus with the outgoing pax, especially if there is a delay, etc. I would not risk this.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:49 am
Suspended

But seriously, for TXL it is not so much about the check in, it is about the actual physical flow of the airport. And it is a stretch to get the bus in go through security, and get the bus back out again. If the plane is parked by the terminal and boarding is only walking it might be fine, but not certainties
Thanks, I know. I lived there. I was merely responding to the quote I put in my comment.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Seriously, I don't recall SAS even having online check-in for my SAS flights at this time in 1994. An SAS mobile phone app back then? Non-existent.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't recall there being online check-in for my SAS flights two decades ago (in 1994 or even 1995).

SAS web check-in wasn't even there in 2000 IIRC.

And look at this, it seems it was not around until the second quarter of 2002:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/769872/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...d-booking.html

Facts matter.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 10, 2015 at 7:59 am Reason: redacted deleted post content and reply

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.