SK-codeshare with Ethiad

Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
SK-codeshare with Ethiad

An unusual codeshare agreement has been annoneced. SK and EY will have coorporation between Abu Dhabi and a number of Europeen destinations: SK-code on Etihad Airways’ flights to Bruxelles, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Rome, Milan, Zürich, Geneva and London Heathrow.

The agreement includes corporation of the two airlines loyalty-programs, Etihad Guest and Eurobonus.

http://www.sasgroup.net/en/sas-and-e...deshare-plans/
chrisljo likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Interesting, Etihad is the least interesting Gulf carrier (from my pov) to partner with. They could have chosen something useful such as Emirates or Qatar which both fly from all SAS hubs as it is.

Being able to earn EB on Emirates would have been flat out awesome. Having the option to choose between One World or EB on Qatar as well. But now we get Ethiad?

Typical SAS stupidity. I really wonder if they picked 10 random airlines with whom an agreement wouldn't make sense and then threw them into a bowl to pick one just to get some PR out.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Interesting, Etihad is the least interesting Gulf carrier (from my pov) to partner with. They could have chosen something useful such as Emirates or Qatar which both fly from all SAS hubs as it is.

Being able to earn EB on Emirates would have been flat out awesome. Having the option to choose between One World or EB on Qatar as well. But now we get Ethiad?

Typical SAS stupidity. I really wonder if they picked 10 random airlines with whom an agreement wouldn't make sense and then threw them into a bowl to pick one just to get some PR out.
Why would EK and QR be interested in code share with SK? Since they are already serving CPH. QR is part of OW so they are not supposed to co-operate with *A. Also QR can just code share with AY for Scandinavian destinations.

I guess EY might be wanting to be part of *A and code sharing with SK might be a good start. I know that EY owns AB's FFP, and they are actively doing code share with AB. I guess they might be looking into being part of either OW or *A.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:49 am

If it offers options for SAS EB points on EY non-code share flights beyond Abu Dhabi it might be interesting, at least for me. I never have to go to the middle east so I can't see myself using it, but I go to Australia from CPH a lot and the only *A options are SQ who dont do SAS EB points on cheaper tickets or TG who are pretty good but dont have the schedule that always works. I would really love another option to get points on the way down under.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
An unusual codeshare agreement has been annoneced.
Why do you consider it unusual?

SAS says, in their press release:

Originally Posted by SAS
SAS is Etihad Airways’ 47th airline partnership globally and its 22nd in Europe.
I fail to see why this, Etihad's apparent 47th partnership, is "unusual". It seems to differ in no substance than many of the existing partnerships concluded by Eithad.

Have you seen the list of Etihad codeshare partners* - what makes SK "unusual" in the light of this diverse list of partners which include airlines, large and small, from all 3 alliances, as well as many unaligned carriers?

*Etihad's codeshare partners: Aegean, Aer Lingus, Air Astana, Air Baltic, Air Canada, Air France, Air Malta, Air New Zealand, Alitalia, ANA, American Airlines, Bangkok Airways, Brussels Airlines, Czech Airlines, Etihad Regional (Darwin Airlines), flyBE, Garuda Indonesia, GOL, JetBlue, Kenya Airways, KLM, Korean Air, Malaysia Airlines, MEA, NIKI, Philippine Airlines, Royal Air Maroc, S7 Airlines, South African Airways, Sri Lankan Airlines, TAP, Turkish Airlines, Vietnam Airlines.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I would definitely like to see the earn rates for Ethiad flights.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why do you consider it unusual?

SAS says, in their press release:

I fail to see why this, Etihad's apparent 47th partnership, is "unusual". It seems to differ in no substance than many of the existing partnerships concluded by Eithad.

Have you seen the list of Etihad codeshare partners* - what makes SK "unusual" in the light of this diverse list of partners which include airlines, large and small, from all 3 alliances, as well as many unaligned carriers?

*Etihad's codeshare partners: Aegean, Aer Lingus, Air Astana, Air Baltic, Air Canada, Air France, Air Malta, Air New Zealand, Alitalia, ANA, American Airlines, Bangkok Airways, Brussels Airlines, Czech Airlines, Etihad Regional (Darwin Airlines), flyBE, Garuda Indonesia, GOL, JetBlue, Kenya Airways, KLM, Korean Air, Malaysia Airlines, MEA, NIKI, Philippine Airlines, Royal Air Maroc, S7 Airlines, South African Airways, Sri Lankan Airlines, TAP, Turkish Airlines, Vietnam Airlines.
Why is this a so unusual comment, that you have ask three times, why I find it unusual?

You see it from the wrong perspective. This is a SK forum, not an EY one. That Ethiad has 47 codeshare partners is not interesting here.

SAS has about 25 codeshare partners, as far as I know, and almost everyone is with Star Alliance partners, small domestic carriers or old friends like Icelandair. Among the few exemptions, I am aware of, is Aeroflot and Virgin – if they are still active. And SAS has never touched any of the Gulf carriers before – again as far as I know.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Fine: for the person who knows or cares of little outside SK's existing boundaries, then I am sure that any and every development can appear unusual.

But I hardly find that choice of perspective to be very realistic!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Fine: for the person who knows or cares of little outside SK's existing boundaries, then I am sure that any and every development can appear unusual.

But I hardly find that choice of perspective to be very realistic!
Maybe unusual is not the right word. But a bit unexpected on the SK side. For EY it is definitely a continuation of current strategy.

For SK it is probably trying to recover some partner ground after the cooperation with Lufthansa was reduced significantly (albeit it was mainly a trans Atlantic reduction). But it was not a step I had seen coming. Then again the partnerships and alliances are maybe in need of a good shake up.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by vd0t
I would definitely like to see the earn rates for Ethiad flights.
Was is stated anywhere that Etihad will be a point partner?

American and US Airways for instance give zero as it is a codeshare flight - not within the alliance.
Last year I tried to retro claim points directly with American and I got a reply back that, as the ticket was issued by SAS, it was not worthy of getting AAdvantage miles (?!).
Since I only have little value of Aadvantage miles, I didn't pursue it any further.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AirportGeekCPH
Was is stated anywhere that Etihad will be a point partner?
You mean apart from in the SK press release?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:29 am

Indeed... I fast-tracked through the first posts!
I didn't imagine that it would be a part of a code-share agreement but I suppose that relates to Etihad not being a member of the major alliances.

I'm still suffering from shock after reading through all the pages of EB devaluation posts
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirportGeekCPH

I'm still suffering from shock after reading through all the pages of EB devaluation posts
Who is not??? :-(

Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I really fail see to see the benefits:

for EY customers:
- they can get as far as a SK hub and a few scandic destinations. Not really earth shaking as the typical EY customer (flying from someplace in Australia or S/SE Asia to a western destination) has now to connect twice to get where they want, why would they do that? It can't be price as codeshare permitting fares are not cheap. EY might as well allow SK flight numbers to be used in their fares, this is very common.

for SK customers:
- so they will fly SK to these EY destinations in Europe and then continue to AUH? How much traffic is there really from Scandic to AUH?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:04 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
(...)

- so they will fly SK to these EY destinations in Europe and then continue to AUH? How much traffic is there really from Scandic to AUH?
Probably quite a bit... Emirates flies daily CPH-DUB and Qatar flies daily CPH-DOH... And that's without accounting for the *A traffic that frequent fliers would do... Don't see a reason why a CPH-AUH route couldn't compete.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.