Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS to face Ryainair at CPH starting in March 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS to face Ryainair at CPH starting in March 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The government employees must be celebrating while the taxpayers in the main perhaps should not be.
As an otherwise very critical tax payer and the fact I don't agree with the motivations, I can only applaud such actions. The sooner FR goes out of business the better and thankfully the local government will not be sponsoring their activities.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If the tax payers are unhappy with the decisions they do get to vote from time to time. In the end I don't think that the subject weighs heavy on neither the city's budget nor the voters' minds.

This former tax payer of Denmark and Copenhagen would also line up behind the decision.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
As an otherwise very critical tax payer and the fact I don't agree with the motivations, I can only applaud such actions. The sooner FR goes out of business the better and thankfully the local government will not be sponsoring their activities.
I don't fly Ryanair, and I avoid such carriers as if they are the plague. And yet I see no good reason for the government to cheerlead for reduced intra-EU competition. Countries and cities (such as the involved one) get the markets the public deserves; and to this end, government shouldn't be encouraging reduced competition for its business.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Local politics aside, what really happened in the end? How many aircraft did FR station in CPH? How did SK react?

We are about to see how FR is going to come to MUC (slot applications for W15-16 wer just filed) and very curious on how they will manage with the limited slots. MUC has space for new carriers, but during the 4 peak waves FR wouldn't be able to turn around their aircraft in the famous 25-30 min and as a result have bad utilization.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Adding Ryanair to a market with real airlines isn't increasing competition. I would encourage the abolishing of collective bargaining and trade unions through real competition. I'm not sure why the local Danish government would want to sustain those, given they have proven to be the achilles heel of their partly state-owned incumbent airline.

Unfortunately only LLC's seem to have an appetite to open up new markets as hubs. Having a second real airline add flights from CPH to various markets would do everyone more good than having Ryanair show up. It is only going to cause misery.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Local politics aside, what really happened in the end? How many aircraft did FR station in CPH? How did SK react?

We are about to see how FR is going to come to MUC (slot applications for W15-16 wer just filed) and very curious on how they will manage with the limited slots. MUC has space for new carriers, but during the 4 peak waves FR wouldn't be able to turn around their aircraft in the famous 25-30 min and as a result have bad utilization.
FR is flying out of CPH. So far only with one bird IIRC. But 10 (?) routes have been announced so they are looking to build presence. There is a preliminary court ruling this week in Copenhagen that might affect the set-up (basically on if the Danish unions has a right to initiate a blocade of FR)
Old May 19, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I, for once, am quite happy that they are here. I don't use them, never did, and do not seriously intend so for the time being, but they do press prices down on my connections with regular airlines. This makes me happy.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
FR is flying out of CPH. So far only with one bird IIRC....
I passed the budget terminal in CPH on Sunday at 16:00 (arriving on SK984) and we passed 2 FR birds at the terminal (as well as two U2 birds).

So they are certainly flying with more than one plane at the present time.

Svantevit
Old May 21, 2015, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Svantevit
I passed the budget terminal in CPH on Sunday at 16:00 (arriving on SK984) and we passed 2 FR birds at the terminal (as well as two U2 birds).

So they are certainly flying with more than one plane at the present time.

Svantevit
True - and I may be wrong on the one plane. But for now I believe only one has CPH as a base. I seem to remeber that the DUB route is served with DUB as a base.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Arbejdsretten (The Labour Law Court) has handed down the ruling. The Danish unions do have the right to implement strikes and blockades against Ryanair in order to get them to negotiate about collective agreements.

Ryanair has cancelled one rotation to Warsaw and announced that they will close the base in Copenhagen. The base is the reason why the court ruled in favour of the unions, once it is closed the unions do not have a case. The ruling in principle covers both Copenhagen and Billund.

Link in Danish
http://mobil.dr.dk/smartphone/#artikel/nyheder/penge/ryanair-aflyser-flyafgange-efter-nederlag-i-arbejdsretten-0
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I'm not sure if this is a good development. It's not as if the unions have done a kickass job in getting SK going as a world leading airline in the last decade. A bit of competition in CPH would actually work pretty good. Together with the Copenhagen authorities banning FR it seems like Denmark is aggressively trying to protect their own flying pride.

@Svantevit: Just that there were 2 birds standing there doesn't mean they're based there. FR also flies birds from other bases to their bases. It's just about where they stand overnight.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:35 am

I think CPH has all the competition it really needs. Having FR come in to compete isn't going to have any positive impact for anyone on anything.

The competition it could benefit from is other real airlines (not DY or FR) opening long-haul routes to a destination not being NYC.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
When EZY got into AMS operating big time from H and M it also had a huge impact on for example KL. KL actually improved its product in general, also because of it (in my humble opinion...) while prices didn't go up significantly (sure, it got different with the paid luggage). I was actually hoping that an FR base at CPH would have the same impact on SK: a wake up call.

Disagree with DY-competition on long haul. Any competition on Scandinavian airports is welcome for my part. Especially OSL could use some.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:20 am

If you want intra-Europe competition, OSL could do with an airline like Air Berlin. More aggressive pricing for the same economy product (if not better due to free drinks/snack), reliable, little nonsense and opportunity to earn OW points/status.

DY long haul doesn't improve service, doesn't improve product, unreliable, no alliance association, premium service is equally or more expensive than real airlines and destinations like OAK and FLL are questionable. Not the kind of competition that is in your interest.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UltraRant
I'm not sure if this is a good development. It's not as if the unions have done a kickass job in getting SK going as a world leading airline in the last decade. A bit of competition in CPH would actually work pretty good. Together with the Copenhagen authorities banning FR it seems like Denmark is aggressively trying to protect their own flying pride.

@Svantevit: Just that there were 2 birds standing there doesn't mean they're based there. FR also flies birds from other bases to their bases. It's just about where they stand overnight.
Just like any other competition, I think that it is healthy that FR gets challenged in their interpretation of European laws. Maybe FR is right, maybe they are not. But someone does need to challenge them, as the current interpretation is wholly FR's. Should staff employed in Denmark, working based in Denmark, living in Denmark only be governed by Irish law?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.