Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Where is the logic SAS [zeroing out booking classes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the logic SAS [zeroing out booking classes]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There are any number of reasons why SAS may decide not to "reduce" the price in the last hours before departure, especially for flights from one of its hubs.

If SAS acquired a reputation for dropping the price of SAS Go tickets in the final hours before departure, for any or ALL of their routes from one or ALL of their hubs, then it would eventually hurt their revenues, as their regular customers would learn to hold off buying tickets until the last available moment in the hopes of getting a "bargain" (this is deflationary economics in action - why buy now, when you believe the price is going to fall in the future?).

LOT are not based at CPH, so they can afford to be a little more aggressive on pricing - they don't dominate the market at CPH at all, so they can be more bullish.
Well made points on economic theory and not unusual at all to see this price strategy from the airline hub. Seems like ex-CPH flyers are willing to pay up for SAS flights to WAW since those flights are packed. Maybe they could even increase the price further? Sorry, I will be quiet now.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by view
Well made points on economic theory and not unusual at all to see this price strategy from the airline hub. Seems like ex-CPH flyers are willing to pay up for SAS flights to WAW since those flights are packed. Maybe they could even increase the price further? Sorry, I will be quiet now.
Well, this was actually a question I was asking myself, still hoping that there is actually more money to be made on opening more seats on these connections (A320 hint hint!) instead of raising prices.

It looks to me that SK has hit the jackpot by opening late night/early morning rotation, which is excellent for WAW customers to make connections in CPH. Regardless of the discussion above, I think LOT must definitely sense a heat here, because a lot of the pax on SK flights from WAW connect long haul or intra Europe in CPH. So the game is not really, IMHO, about getting the pax from/to WAW/CPH cheaper, but the two airlines are actually competing for passengers traveling to to other cities (EWR, YYZ, ORD, ARN, BRU etc). I see these a lot on people boarding passes on SK flights from WAW. Now price differences and revenues on these connections are even harder for us to see.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:11 pm

Ok, I admit it... I just hate that I have to fly LOT since my company is too cheap to buy SK
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
I was on a few of those WAW-CPH earlier this year and the poor CRJ's are crammed every single time...

Strange they don't use A3XX instead, seeing as selling more tickets wouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by skba1
I was on a few of those WAW-CPH earlier this year and the poor CRJ's are crammed every single time...

Strange they don't use A3XX instead, seeing as selling more tickets wouldn't be a problem.
Ryanair has obviously spotted a market here. They have just announced that they will establish themself in CPH . WAW will become one of the new routes from end of March 2015.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by cph_flyer
Ryanair has obviously spotted a market here. They have just announced that they will establish themself in CPH . WAW will become one of the new routes from end of March 2015.
Oh my, so now for those sticking to corporate travel policy of cheapest option, it may not even by LOT but Ryanair CPH-WAW

Obviously SAS has connection market one way and LOT the other way, but for point to point traffic Ryanair is going to bring this game to another level.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by view
Oh my, so now for those sticking to corporate travel policy of cheapest option, it may not even by LOT but Ryanair CPH-WAW

Obviously SAS has connection market one way and LOT the other way, but for point to point traffic Ryanair is going to bring this game to another level.
Ugh.... at least I told my bosses I'll happily fly the cheapest fare I can find on any major carrier as long as I won't be forced on LCCs - and Ryanair is one of the worst.

So, either they accept that or have to live with me searching for a new employer and put up the stinky finger to them.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:12 am

Well, they are opening CPH-WMI (Warsaw–Modlin).
I've never been to Warsaw so I don't know if the extra distance to the city center is enough to fight off spreadsheet people who insist on the cheapest fare
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:41 am

Modlin is not that convenient but I guess the casual tourist on budget won't care. The airport is round about one hour outside of central Warsaw while WAW is very convenient located in the heart of the city with perhaps 20 minute taxi ride into the center. For most business travelers it won't be too attractive I would think.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by AirportGeekCPH
Well, they are opening CPH-WMI (Warsaw–Modlin).
I've never been to Warsaw so I don't know if the extra distance to the city center is enough to fight off spreadsheet people who insist on the cheapest fare
WMI is 40+km from the centre, WAW is 8km.
FR will have one daily flight.

The FR routes from Copenhagen just announced seem to be geared towards the leisure travellers. Who in their right mind will fly to Luton when you really want to go to London?? Same for Warsaw and Milan
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Eurobonus
I believe Norwegian also operates Copenhagen to Warsaw flights ?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by Wilbur12
I believe Norwegian also operates Copenhagen to Warsaw flights ?
Norwegian does not operate WAW-CPH for years. But at the times they did SK and LO prices were marvellous. I remember taking returns for 500 kr in economy. So in general I welcome Ryanair to Warsaw. Yes, to WMI, far out of town, and lack of decent public transport, which means that I will never fly them (if only for these reasons). But I hope this will push economy prices down on SK and LO. It is unlikely to change more expensive buckets though that aim for business travellers. WMI is very inconvenient.

I am slightly worried that a 737 rotation to WMI can eat quite a bit into the volume though, so now my hopes for larger machines from SK are fading....
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
I don't quite understand the preference of SK vs LO. For a short haul flying LO is very decent airline as long as the flight is on Embraer (737 are really c@ap but there are only 2 or 3 of them in a fleet). I would be (and actually very often do) flying LO without any problem. And certainly do not see where SK is better be it business or eco?

And for long haul LO product in C is way better. This 25% bonus on top for SK metal is hugely overrated unless you struggling to re-qualify.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by another_shot
I don't quite understand the preference of SK vs LO. For a short haul flying LO is very decent airline as long as the flight is on Embraer (737 are really c@ap but there are only 2 or 3 of them in a fleet). I would be (and actually very often do) flying LO without any problem. And certainly do not see where SK is better be it business or eco?

And for long haul LO product in C is way better. This 25% bonus on top for SK metal is hugely overrated unless you struggling to re-qualify.
If you just fly CPH-WAW it is 1250 points on SAS vs 300 or 600 points on LOT. That is the only reason for me to choose SAS - and of course from time to time the schedule.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Originally Posted by fassy
If you just fly CPH-WAW it is 1250 points on SAS vs 300 or 600 points on LOT. That is the only reason for me to choose SAS - and of course from time to time the schedule.
I've got 1200 last time credited to SK on LO for the short sector (shorter than CPH WAW) in Z class. Basically the same as SK would credit for Plus for EBG.
I think prices are quite comparable but LO biz is 100% seat blocked next to you and never 12 rows of Plus!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.