Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Confused about mow many miles I earn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus Gold

Hi all,

I've had a clear idea of how many EuroBonus points I earn when traveling with other Star Alliance airlines, but this time I am confused for some reason.

Facts:
-I have EuroBonus Gold
-I am traveling New York-Zurich round trip
-I have the following ways to book:
Book on united.com and get flights operated by SWISS in classes Q and W
Book the same flights on swiss.com in classes Q and W
Book the same flights on swiss.com in classes Q and Q

SAS' website clearly states that you earn 100% of the points for United W and Q, 100% for SWISS Q and 50% for SWISS W.

I guess my question is how miles/points are passed on to my account and how this is done.

I live in the U.S. and fly with United a lot, which is very straight forward as I always earn 100% of the miles since that is the least you earn on United. But according to Miles and More's website, you earn 50% of the miles for both Q and W.

So, my question is, should I book through united.com, does United simply pass on 100% of the miles for both legs to SAS who then passes on 100% of them to me, or does United first receive 50% of the miles for both legs from SWISS and then pass on 100% of them to SAS who passes on 100% of them to me?

And should I book directly from SWISS with classes Q and W, do I simply get 100% of the miles for the Q leg and 50% of the miles for the W leg from SAS, or does SAS first receive 50% of the miles for both legs from SWISS and then pass on 100% of the Q leg and 50% of the W leg to me?

The thought process gets complicated, I have attached an image with the different scenarios I can think of, and I simply wonder which scenarios are correct for the three ways of booking.

Thanks!

Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The operating carrier, and the booking class for the operating carrier are the points of reference for your earnings. If they are the same, it does not matter where you book.
If you book a Swiss flight with LX flight numbers then the booking class is equivalent to the one you find in the SK table. If you book a Swiss flight via a UA codeshare, ie. UA flight numbers, you will need to find the Swiss equivalent booking class to understand your earnings.
So, W earns you 50% on a Swiss operated flight with Swiss flight numbers. The place of booking is irrelevant. Swiss will pay SK for the miles you get. W and route gives a certain fixed amount of payment, SK will then credit you miles based on their defined rules. It will always be Swiss sending the info (and payment) to SK for a Swiss operated flight.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
In simple terms, it matters less where you book, but more who operates the flights and under what flight numbers. If all flights are operated by united, you can book wherever you want. 100% will come. Same for SAS operated flights.

Fos Swiss operated flights, use the eurobonus table, if they are booked under LX flight numbers. If under UA, then the task is getting difficult.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus Gold
Originally Posted by wazow
In simple terms, it matters less where you book, but more who operates the flights and under what flight numbers. If all flights are operated by united, you can book wherever you want. 100% will come. Same for SAS operated flights.

Fos Swiss operated flights, use the eurobonus table, if they are booked under LX flight numbers. If under UA, then the task is getting difficult.
Thanks. And alright, then it's getting difficult -these would be the flights if booked on united.com -they're under UA flight numbers.

Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: SK-EBD*G, AF Ivory, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG, Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Booking code shares on Star Alliance is a lottery. If you care about the miles and the cost difference is small (or of no importance) you should aim for scenario C1.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
According to the Miles and More forum, United codeshare on LX is 1:1 for booking classes.
See post 55 and 56. (post 84 for those wondering about SK/LH)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...omplete-4.html

So on the booking shown you should get 100% for Q and 50% for W.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Originally Posted by bergstromf
Thanks. And alright, then it's getting difficult -these would be the flights if booked on united.com -they're under UA flight numbers.
Hi and welcome to FlyerTalk!

It is not that difficult. Just remember that points are earned on the metal (plane) and not who you booked with. If the flight is operated by LX then the SAS chart for LX is the one to use.

SAS rounds up to the nearest hundred, so Q on LX earns 4000 and W earns 2000 Eurobonus points no matter where you book the flight.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
If it a question about maximizing Eurobonus points, and you don't care about the length of the trip consider that SAS has a sale on Business Saver for less than Plus Saver!

Booked through United:

EWR-ZRH-EWR on UA metal $1405 and 8000 Eurobonus points
JFK-ZRH-JFK on LZ metal $1526 outbound Q and inbound W - 6000 Eurobonus points

Booked on flySAS:

EWR-OSL-ZRH-CPH-OSL-EWR in Go $1352 - 21800 Eurobonus points + EBG 25% = 27250
EWR-OSL-ZRH-OSL-CPH-EWR in Business Saver $2314 - 27250 Eurobonus points

If you play around with the dates, you can get SAS Plus Saver for $1585 between December 12, 2014 and January 7, 2015.

20Dec-6Jan EWR-OSL-ZRH return in Plus for $1585 and 26000 EB points.

Last edited by gakke; Oct 24, 2014 at 3:04 pm Reason: ZRH-OSL in Business is on LZ -
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
SAS Eurobonus points Lufthansa booking class N

Any points earned from Lufthansa premium economy flights in booking class N?
SAS Eurobonus chart does not indicate class N there.
Question is for FRA-SFO in N with LH with EB.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:00 am

If it is not there you need to calculate 0%.

The system works pretty much automated, it looks up your booking code, the mapping and then credits the miles.

I already send a mail to EuroBonus about LOT and LH PE. So far I was shrugged of with: Yes, we are looking at it.

Last edited by fassy; Nov 24, 2014 at 7:13 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: EBG
Even the official SAS booking website does not help with points knowledge, looking at ARN to PEK will never put the amount of points up in the right hand panel and if you ring SAS they are not sure.
So if SAS don't know how many points you get for a flight on SAS metal booked by SAS what hope do you have for the rest!!!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:16 am

ARN-PEK on SK metal works for me - sas.se shows the 10k points in Go.

It only messes up if you have a leg on non-sk metal inbetween.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: EBS
Originally Posted by nussle
Even the official SAS booking website does not help with points knowledge, looking at ARN to PEK will never put the amount of points up in the right hand panel and if you ring SAS they are not sure.
So if SAS don't know how many points you get for a flight on SAS metal booked by SAS what hope do you have for the rest!!!
You will find it here:
http://www.sas.dk/eurobonus/optjen-p...nes/sas/chart/

SAS does not fly direct on SK metal ARN-PEK but via CPH, so you will earn 500+4500=5000 points in Economy one way and
1000+9000=10.000 in Plus and Business one way.

Last edited by bjerregaard; Nov 24, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
LO earning for PE has been recently fixed. I also got points for AC PE (but both of these are explicit in the tables now, as far as I remember)
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by wazow
LO earning for PE has been recently fixed. I also got points for AC PE (but both of these are explicit in the tables now, as far as I remember)
For upgrade using the MyOffer system (similar to the Austrian Smart Upgrade or OT concept)

Y, B and M will be rebooked to G
U, H, Q and V will be rebooked to E
W, S, T, L, K and X will be rebooked to N

I suppose upgrades into business will be done in Z or P which both only gives 100%?

LH Premium Economy is also fixed as of 22nd November booking class G and E will give 150% while N credits 100%

http://www.sas.se/eurobonus/tjana-po...lag/lufthansa/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.