Diners Club / Eurobonus

Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Not to highjack your thread OP, but how widely accepted is AMEX in the nordic capitals?(Besides hotels and car rentals).
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Amex should be fairly accepted in Sweden. You can use Amex in Coop (supermarkets) in Sweden.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I still think that DC+MC combo works very well if you are EBG. If you are not, you really need to have high spending to make value out of that. Honestly I do not think that the SEB cards in DK are a good offer for non-status members. Perhaps their business model is just to cater for EBGs?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: EBG
I live in Sweden and I have Diners, Amex and Mastercard. I have to take out clients a lot and I can assure you that neither Diners or Amex are accepted almost anywhere.

Amex and Diners are not accepted by Q park, most hardware shops won't take them and it is rare to find a "normal" retailer that will accept either of them.

UL and SL the local transport companies will not accept either of them although you can buy tickets for UL/SL from Arlanda using you Amex you cannot buy a ticket back to Arlanda unless you switch to Mastercard.

Most big chains and airlines + car hire or hotels & taxi will take them however.

Master care or Visa are preferred card for pretty much everybody.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Ummm. Not sure what is abnormal about ICA, Coop, Willis, hemshop, H&M, lindex, Ikea, inter sport, POP, systembolaget, statoil, and even the parking meters, all of which take Amex. About 90% of my spend is amex. Amex IMHO has done a good job in the past 2 years of turning around retailers and having inroads in Sweden. DC on he other hand is a waste of space.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by wazow
Honestly I do not think that the SEB cards in DK are a good offer for non-status members. Perhaps their business model is just to cater for EBGs?
SEB cards in DK are doing a crab job in servicing the market.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
SEB cards in DK are doing a crab job in servicing the market.
Credit cards is simply not common in DK, not just SEB, but other providers are not particularly good either IMO.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Ummm. Not sure what is abnormal about ICA, Coop, Willis, hemshop, H&M, lindex, Ikea, inter sport, POP, systembolaget, statoil, and even the parking meters, all of which take Amex. About 90% of my spend is amex. Amex IMHO has done a good job in the past 2 years of turning around retailers and having inroads in Sweden. DC on he other hand is a waste of space.
I do agree, I also have 90% spend on my Amex, the rest on the MC while I travel through the Nordics and Europe.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Preem will not take them, Qpark will not take them and the vast majority of restaurants all over Uppsala and north from there will not take them infact only four restaurants in Uppsala will take Amex/DC.

I carry all three cards, the mastercard is the only one I can use everywhere.

In the UK even B&Q will not take them.

Last edited by nussle; Sep 24, 2014 at 6:59 am Reason: To add B&Q
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:53 am
ekf

Originally Posted by nussle
Preem will not take them
I use my Amex at Preem all the time, as well as at other gas stations from several chains.
That said, there are a lot of places that do not accept the Amex in Sweden, so I never leave home without a backup Mastercard.
I have more or less given up on the Diners card, planning to cancel it after I've used up my "free" lounge visits.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by ekf
I use my Amex at Preem all the time, as well as at other gas stations from several chains.
That said, there are a lot of places that do not accept the Amex in Sweden, so I never leave home without a backup Mastercard.
I have more or less given up on the Diners card, planning to cancel it after I've used up my "free" lounge visits.
Good luck using Amexs up north, my local preem will not take it. My local train will not take it. I am the same with my Diners club, will use the free lounge and then chuck it, totally useless outside USA IMHO.

I guess if you only shop in big chains and the business multinational hotels, big airlines e.t.c then they will all take the amex, shop local and the Amex/Dcard is a smile killer.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:37 pm
ekf

Originally Posted by nussle
shop local and the Amex/Dcard is a smile killer
Actually, several of the local pizza places accept Amex around here, but not McDonalds, Burger King and Max (No, I don't live in Stockholm)...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by ekf
Actually, several of the local pizza places accept Amex around here, but not McDonalds, Burger King and Max (No, I don't live in Stockholm)...
Yeah, papa johns don't take either of them as well.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by MrCharming
Not to highjack your thread OP, but how widely accepted is AMEX in the nordic capitals?(Besides hotels and car rentals).
Widely accepted in Helsinki. Not all places, though, but most.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.