Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS EuroBonus credit cards vs. Coop MedMera Mer (Sweden)

Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedChili
Wiki-update, September 2017, by RedChili:

Coop in Sweden has a membership program whereby you may collect points, which later can be converted to Eurobonus points. There are set specific intervals at which conversions may be made, but basically, the exchange rate is 10 Coop points to 1 EB point.

To become a Coop member, you need to pay SEK 100, which will give you a membership card that allows you to earn points when shopping in Coop, a few other physical stores, and on the Coop Internet shopping portal. The membership card itself will give you at least 0.5 points per SEK when shoppping at Coop, translating into 5 EB points per SEK 100. There's a points ladder, which means that for purchases above SEK 4500 per month, shoppers may get 5 points per SEK at Coop, translating into 50 EB points per SEK 100.

Coop has three cards that you can use to obtain points:

Coop Konto (Coop Account): It's a debit card that can only be used for shopping at Coop stores. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 (including what the membership gives).

Coop Betala Efter (Coop Pay After): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, and 0.25 points everywhere else, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 2.5 EG points everywhere else. There's a 1.75% currency conversion fee. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

Coop Mer (Coop More): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee for the first year, but a fee of SEK 348 thereafter. It gives 1 additional point per SEK at Coop, and 0.5 points per SEK everywhere else, which translates into a total of 15 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 5 EB points everywhere else. Unlike the Eurobonus AMEX cards which have 2% currency conversion fee, there's no currency conversion fee at all on this card, something which may make this card attractive for private purchases in other currencies. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

So, let's make a comparison between Amex Premium and Coop Mer when shopping for SEK 10.000 in other currencies: The Amex will cost you a total of SEK 10.200 and give 1500 EB points, while the Coop will cost a total of SEK 10.000 and give 500 EB points. By using the Amex, the extra 1000 EB points will actually cost you SEK 200.

Some select stores from the Coop Internet shopping portal (with points listed as EB points after conversion):

Hallon phone subscription: 500 EB welcome points, and 30 EB per month.
Hotels.com: 20 EB per SEK 100 (at the time of writing, there's a 50 EB campaign).
Tallink/Silja: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Adlibris: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Cdon.com: 10 EB per SEK 100.

It's fully possible for a Coop member to shop through the Coop Internet portal and double dip by paying with an Amex card or the Coop credit cards.

It's also possible to pay regular bills with Coop Mer through Betalo (see below), but they charge a 1% transaction fee when paying with Coop cards, and you only get 5 EB points per SEK 100, meaning that receiving 1000 EB points will cost you SEK 200 in Betalo fees.

!IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Beginning January 1st 2016, Betalo will charge 1% processing fess for charging to the MedMera COOP MasterCard

Here are the companies that you can't use betalo (please feel free to add in):

- SEB
- Ikano Kort
- AMEX
- PayEx (check your VVS bills (got one recently and they hand the bills handling to PayEx) - if the payment is big, you are definitely loose out some points)
- OkQ8
- Skatteverket (called them today and they said that COOP blocks payments to Skatteverket) - it's possible to use other cards
Print Wikipost

SAS EuroBonus credit cards vs. Coop MedMera Mer (Sweden)

Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:59 am
ekf

Originally Posted by fassy
Short Update - exchanged 60k MedMera Points die 12k EuroBonus points without issues. The confirmation Mail said it could take up to 14days but to my surprise the points have been credited a few minutes later in my EB account.

So far, so good...
Converting from MedMera to EB has worked like a charm every time for me so far. Touch Wood...
The points appear in my EB account faster than I switch tabs in Safari.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
I completed 2 transactions a few days ago - one for 60k points and another for 30k points. Went through essentially immediately. Plan to continue prioritizing the card and Betalo for as long as the terms remain attractive.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
It is interesting how the MedMera points show up faster than flights with the actual airline which seem to have reached a new low, have flights dating back 18 days that have not shown up yet.

I don't know what IT they are using at COOP but SAS should be on the look out for the same.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
Another positive experience. Just did our first transfer of 50000 points and they went through instantly.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by jrcplus
I've only had it for a few days and tried to register a handful of payments. The only recipient that it didn't accept is the SAS EB MC (bankgiro 595-4300). It did accept SAS EB AmEx (bankgiro 730-8596), though my payment date hasn't hit yet.

One downside is that Betalo doesn't support Autogiro nor E-faktura, though they claim they're working on it.
Thanks much for the useful info. Regarding Betalo, are you sure you can still pay your Amex EB bill? It seems one of their policies is not enabling the services for credit/financial institutions.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Paying AMEX no longer works, which occurred some time after the post that you referred to (which was in August).

Last edited by livious; Jan 28, 2015 at 1:31 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:58 am

Looks like to conversion to SAS points will be devaluated (as expected) on April 1st:

Examples of what you can get for your MedMera points to 31 March 2015
30,000 MedMera points (6000 EuroBonus points) - domestic flight, single
50,000 MedMera points (10,000 EuroBonus points) - Domestic flight tour / ticket (taxes and fees apply)

New course from April 1, 2015
30,000 MedMera point equals 4500 EuroBonus points
50 000 MedMera point equals 7500 EuroBonus points.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by livious
Looks like to conversion to SAS points will be devaluated (as expected) on April 1st:

50,000 MedMera points (10,000 EuroBonus points) - Domestic flight tour / ticket (taxes and fees apply)

Good. The Eurobonus options bestowed upon Sweden are ridiculous compared to what little Danes and Norwegians get to scrape by. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you even get Basic Points for signing up for this or was that Amex?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by CKCPH
Good. The Eurobonus options bestowed upon Sweden are ridiculous compared to what little Danes and Norwegians get to scrape by. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you even get Basic Points for signing up for this or was that Amex?
That is the AMEX but you did get 6.000 Extra points signup bonus for that. If you get the Elite card for 400€ a year you get 20.000 Basic points counted towards status but they are not awarded as redeemable points.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:14 am

Good. The Eurobonus options bestowed upon Sweden are ridiculous compared to what little Danes and Norwegians get to scrape by.
Not sure that it is good, but perhaps we can hope for more opportunities for the Danes and Norwegians in the future instead
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That is the AMEX but you did get 6.000 Extra points signup bonus for that. If you get the Elite card for 400€ a year you get 20.000 Basic points counted towards status but they are not awarded as redeemable points.
Have you been in a position to play the game of moving the SK account between/amongst countries after those status points got credited?

Does the SK Amex account address have to match the SK EuroBonus address?

I know some Danes and Norwegians with the SK Amex card in Sweden, but I don't know if the DK/NO addresses were used at all in the SK EB accounts or if it was all just SE addresses on the SK EB accounts.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

And some of you wonder why the lounges are crowded when everyone and their grandmother - in Sweden - can get a credit card the jump to line? It's almost halfway to gold without ever stepping foot in an aircraft.

Or next time you can't find an award ticket - it probably went to Susanna Svensson, who got that SFO flight based on her purchases of pet food in Coop in Staffanstorp.

Or when the line to Fast Track is crowded with people with gold cards and dirt cheap Go tickets - they earned their way there from getting an AMEX, which more than pays for itself through 2-4-1 vouchers.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Have you been in a position to play the game of moving the SK account between/amongst countries after those status points got credited?
No, I live in SE, work in SE and don't have or ever had a account in DK.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does the SK Amex account address have to match the SK EuroBonus address?
No idea, matches in my case

And some of you wonder why the lounges are crowded when everyone and their grandmother - in Sweden - can get a credit card the jump to line? It's almost halfway to gold without ever stepping foot in an aircraft.
Those people probably won't apply for an AMEX Elite card with 4000SEK in fees a year. Not even me using the card excessively pays that much for just having that card. Also this card was introduced just 3 months ago - so definitely not the culprit of crowed lounges and FastTrack.

More likely the fact the SK was handing our points like candy the last two years and a lot of people could qualify for Gold with just their vacation flying to Spain and a trip to the US.

Or next time you can't find an award ticket - it probably went to Susanna Svensson, who got that SFO flight based on her purchases of pet food in Coop in Staffanstorp.
Or all those crazy US guys which get huge CC signup bonuses and get like 6 cards a year. Even if a lot of people see the point game as "freeloading" and unfair for those who won't get the same deals... it is a good business for CC companies, hotels and airlines.

E.g. look at the Club Carlson US Visa Card... they get a 50% reduction in point spend on award nights. Is it fair? No it is not, but I have to live with it.

I bet most Susanna Svensson's around will spend their points on short haul awards or even just shopping and gift cards since they will never get the points to book a trip for 5 to the US.

Or when the line to Fast Track is crowded with people with gold cards and dirt cheap Go tickets - they earned their way there from getting an AMEX, which more than pays for itself through 2-4-1 vouchers.
AMEX 2-4-1 vouchers were until now very hard to use. In fact I couldn't use the last 3 I got at all on a good redemption (longhaul C) as there was either no space available or the timings didn't play out. So I used it for short haul redemption and then it is not more than a regular point bargain SK runs all the time.

With the new T&C where you can use it for the rest of the year and the full next year it should be better.

But I agree, SE residents get the best deal out of EB and it is not fair to Danes and Norwegians. Anyway, this is a development independent of SK as these benefits are given by credit card companies which earn a lot of money with those deals. Danemark has not that strong CC usage like Sweden, caused by the ridicoulus fee the vendors are allowed to charge. Not sure for Norway although the AMEX offer they have is comparable. I bet as soon as that would go away, you would see same deals in Danemark.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by livious

Where did you see this? I did not get any notification. what will happen to the 60 000 and 20 000 conversions?

I like at the moment that 20 000, 30 000, 40 000, 50 000 and 60 000 all have the same ratio while I think it would make more sense for them to give some bonus for the larger conversions

Never mind... found it: https://www.coop.se/MedMera-kortet/Partnersidor/SAS/
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Move to Sweden - and problem solved - you can also get a better car, cheaper house, cheaper and nicer food, and free International School education (for us it's DKK 30000 per month saving) while keeping your high paying job in DK - best of the both world ^

Not that many Swedes are qualified for AMEX card - you need half a million yearly salary, so not all Annika Svensson (I found the name Annika very Swedish) can get a card.

When other FTers told me about how they churn their US cards getting free Plat status, free nights, and doing their trip in F and with free nights twice a year...... well it's just too bad that we can't get those things here in Scandinavia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.